Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 02:47 PM

6 posts, read 17,275 times

Advertisements

Never been there before, but just wondering if it is really that bad and dangerous as people and media makes it to be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 04:47 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,879,061 times
It's like any other city. It has its good areas and its not so good areas. Violent crime has been on the downward trend for the last couple of years.

Old 10-10-2014, 04:19 AM

518 posts, read 469,759 times
I really have rather netural feelings about Birmingham. I don't go into the city very often. I doubt it is really worse than most simularlly situated city's. It appears from what I have read on here that there is some desire to revitalize the downtown area. That's typical of most city's. The metro area has a lot to offer. I am aware of one side of the metro and there seems to be those who think other areas that I am not familure with are outstanding.

There are some who put it down for what went on during the 1950's and 60's and try and convince people it is a raciest city. But Birmingham has had an Africian-American mayor for decades and most if not all city council members are also Africian-American. The Police chief as well. I would dare say it has any governemtal anti-black elements any longer so don't let people fool you with that propaganda. I think Selma suffers from the same stigma and it has been controled by Africian-Americians politically for decades as well. The South has changed a lot.

Last edited by BishopRidge; 10-10-2014 at 04:36 AM..

Old 10-10-2014, 10:15 AM

446 posts, read 678,278 times
if you go on AL.com and read the comments especially the Birmingham section anything to do with us blacks is all bad about 90% of everybody comments are like that. Especially the comments such as corruption and crime didn't start in Birmingham till blacks took over or Birmingham wont be a great city till all the blacks are placed somewhere out of site. Its also like that in the Mobile and Montgomery section when it comes to us blacks about violence and drugs but it is what it is. I say 10 years from now Birmingham demographics will change dramatically like it has in my home city. All Birmingham needs is 1-3 big projects/plan for everyday life to make the city more appealing and it will change fast

Old 10-10-2014, 10:34 AM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
The original question gets old. If you want to think it is bad, and it gives you jollies to do so, go ahead. Given a choice between the midwestern cities of B'ham, Memphis, St. Louis, and Chicago, B'ham is probably the safest and least corrupt.

Old 10-10-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem1985 View Post
if you go on AL.com and read the comments especially the Birmingham section anything to do with us blacks is all bad about 90% of everybody comments are like that. Especially the comments such as corruption and crime didn't start in Birmingham till blacks took over or Birmingham wont be a great city till all the blacks are placed somewhere out of site. Its also like that in the Mobile and Montgomery section when it comes to us blacks about violence and drugs but it is what it is. I say 10 years from now Birmingham demographics will change dramatically like it has in my home city. All Birmingham needs is 1-3 big projects/plan for everyday life to make the city more appealing and it will change fast
And that is one of the reasons I don't visit AL.com.

Old 10-10-2014, 01:24 PM

39 posts, read 43,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrielkelloney View Post
Never been there before, but just wondering if it is really that bad and dangerous as people and media makes it to be?
It is a matter of perspective. I think al.com fairly reports on Birmingham given it is an alabama news agency. After all, they are not reporting on St Louis or Memphis. Alabama has some wonderful small to mid size cities like Dothan, Huntsville, and Tuscaloosa to name a few. Birmingham is "that bad" in relation to the rest of the state. With that said, it does not keep me away from the finer things in Bham.

Old 10-10-2014, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trace riggins View Post
It is a matter of perspective. I think al.com fairly reports on Birmingham given it is an alabama news agency. After all, they are not reporting on St Louis or Memphis. Alabama has some wonderful small to mid size cities like Dothan, Huntsville, and Tuscaloosa to name a few. Birmingham is "that bad" in relation to the rest of the state. With that said, it does not keep me away from the finer things in Bham.
Well, as I really don't keep up with Birmingham itself, I really don't know the details. I go into the city limits of B'ham maybe 5 times a year. We like to go to the Farmers Market 3 or 4 times a year when the local crops are coming in. I am refering to the Finley AV market that has been there over 50 years. Sometimes we go on over to an Oriential store if we are in town late enough for it to open at 10am on the Saturdays we are there and pick up a few things. Most of our shopping and dining are done in the McCalla, Bessemer and Hoover area. The first exit off of 459 is where we go the most.

I don't recieve any newspapers and watch very little TV. I get a little national radio news going to and from work which takes about 10 minutes if I drive slow. I really am out of touch it seems.

Old 10-10-2014, 04:46 PM

39 posts, read 43,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopRidge View Post
I don't recieve any newspapers and watch very little TV. I get a little national radio news going to and from work which takes about 10 minutes if I drive slow. I really am out of touch it seems.
I am a lot like you. I would say it is a good life and by no means "out of touch". All the noise in the media these days can be depressing. I really like the area you live in. Many years ago I sold a property on Million Dollar Lake. As I understand it, property values have skyrocketed there... after I sold of course!

Old 10-10-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trace riggins View Post
I am a lot like you. I would say it is a good life and by no means "out of touch". All the noise in the media these days can be depressing. I really like the area you live in. Many years ago I sold a property on Million Dollar Lake. As I understand it, property values have skyrocketed there... after I sold of course!
Isn't that always the way it goes! I am down in Bibb county. Property values are still low here. It is nice to have a few chickens and a rabbit and be able to (well you know) of your back porch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area