Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 12:19 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Which is why that section of the NB is under construction first and is projected to be done in 10 years. And yes it will go down to 20.

Will still need and use the entire route.
Interstate 422 will definitely not go to Interstate 20 east of Birmingham in the next 10 years. Like, zero chance. I'll extend that to 15 years if you want to send me $100 today, and I'll send you a thousand if it is done by February 2031.

Also, as far as I know, there has been talks of the northern beltline extending down to I-20, but officially, the proposal ends at I-59.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 12:56 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Dude I said projected. You know good and well that all of us here know how great they are on projections. The point is they at least realize that is the most crucial section.

There are projections for it to go down to 20. They are online. Just image search it and you will see them.

Thanks for the chuckle though. I should have put it in quotes with a smiley so out of work comedians like you would know better.

Here's one:

Old 02-12-2016, 02:54 PM

Got any links to something by ALDOT that indicates they will be extending it to I-20? I've heard speculation, but again, the official proposal, as far as I know, calls for it to only go to I-59/US-11 near Argo. Since you are so confident you are right, and that my post was nothing but chuckle-inducing, just post the links for us. I could be wrong, but I haven't seen anything official that includes new exit numbers, the exact route, the projected costs, the construction timeline, etc. for a segment that extends down to I-20. All of this is readily available for the rest of the route.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corridor_X-1

One other problem is that even if it were to connect to I-20, the route goes so far north that unless you are really enforcing a rule, I could see a lot of truck traffic continuing to use the interstates through downtown because it is far fewer miles and will probably still be faster except during rush hour.

Old 02-12-2016, 03:41 PM

The chuckle inducing part was you expecting me to send you money or make a bet with you about anything, ALDOT projections or otherwise. I don't bet with people I don't like and that I don't trust.

The map I posted came from the Appalachian Regional Commission

http://www.arc.gov/images/programs/t...ortAlabama.pdf

There would have to be a rule for through trucks to use it just like there is for 459. That is the whole point.

Old 02-12-2016, 04:59 PM

The difference with 459 is that if you are heading west from Atlanta and need to go either SW on 20/59 or S on 65, 459 is the fastest route or very, very close to it... and direction apps, GPS, etc. will direct you to take 459. 422 would not be because it is so out of the way. If it even connects to 20.

Old 02-12-2016, 06:36 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,336,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
The difference with 459 is that if you are heading west from Atlanta and need to go either SW on 20/59 or S on 65, 459 is the fastest route or very, very close to it... and direction apps, GPS, etc. will direct you to take 459. 422 would not be because it is so out of the way. If it even connects to 20.

And alternately to what you wrote; I-422 would be the obvious route to go to I-65 northbound or I-22 west bound.
Is that so hard for you to see. (beltways, by design are not 'A to B' as the crow flies routes)

As usual I am amazed at the contentiousness found on the Birmingham forum over things that are taken for granted elsewhere.

Old 02-12-2016, 06:58 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,209,172 times
I take HY 82 from Montgomery, all the way to Granada MS, then I 55 north once a year. I would rather take I 22, when the I-22 and I-65 interchange is completed and the construction is finished.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preguntas View Post
And alternately to what you wrote; I-422 would be the obvious route to go to I-65 northbound or I-22 west bound.
Is that so hard for you to see. (beltways, by design are not 'A to B' as the crow flies routes)

As usual I am amazed at the contentiousness found on the Birmingham forum over things that are taken for granted elsewhere.
First of all, the vast majority of things I'm looking at don't show I-422 even connecting to I-20. And even if it did, it would be quite a few more miles than the direct through-the-city- route. I am aware that beltways by design are not "as the crow flies" routes. And people might add a mile or two to a 30 mile trip to avoid a city center. More than that during rush hour.

Let's say we are driving from Atlanta to Tuscaloosa and get to the I-459 interchange. We can either take 459 south which is about 31 miles to I-20/59 out in McCalla... or we can go straight through the city and it is about 37 miles. 459, besides avoiding the city center, actually shaves 6+ miles off the trip.

If we are driving from Atlanta to Tuscaloosa and get to the I-422 interchange (if one even ever exists), you are likely going to be adding 5-7 miles to the trip (Impossible to have an exact number because we don't know exactly where the interchange with 422 and 20 would be, but I am guessing it would be about 35 miles to drive through downtown and 40-42 to drive on 422 through North Jefferson County.

That's not an insignificant difference. As a bypass relative to the "direct" route, 459 to 20/59 southwest is 11+ miles more efficient than 422 is to 22 west. Over 30-40 mile distances, that's huge.

And current plans for the route do NOT have it connecting to 20. Just FYI.
Quote:
Current plans for the route have it connecting at I-459's current southern terminus in Bessemer with I-59 at approximately mile marker 147 to the northeast of Trussville near Argo. Additional studies are underway to determine the economic feasibility to continue the route from its proposed northern terminus to I-20 in the Leeds/Moody area.

Old 02-13-2016, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Like Preguntas said, through trucks don't get to take the short route. They have to take the long way around no matter what Garmin says is the quickest way. That's just the way it is. All I said was there are plans to take it to 20. Currently they are focusing on the Jefferson county portion where the majority of the belt lies. Right now only the strip between 75 and 79 is under construction. That doesn't mean there is no legal or provisional work being done to secure the route in St. Clair co. that will come along later. The ARC clearly shows that it has been planned and budgeted for.

Old 02-13-2016, 08:33 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,440,815 times
Justin - raising the minimum wage isn't progress. A general rule is that if you tax something you get less of it - in this case taxing labor results in fewer jobs. If you're still thinking of running for Governor as a Republican, get your thinking right. To put it in perspective for you, progressive GOP President Richard Nixon raised the minimum wage (one of the many wrong-headed things he did).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area