Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 04:10 PM

2,448 posts, read 2,233,471 times

Advertisements

I'd say even 10-15 years ago it had that feel. They've really made a push with new housing, the campus green, rec center, student center, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 04:41 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,790,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Neither is the "Silicon Valley of the south". Several other metro areas have tech scenes far stronger than either Birmingham or Huntsville.

Huntsville is probably closer, given its percentage of residents in the fields of technology and engineering. But comparing either, even on a small scale, to Silicon Valley is comical.

It would be akin to calling Minneapolis the Miami of the north because there is water nearby.

Does Birmingham even employ the national average per capita for tech? I doubt it. Seems like you might want to be in the top half before you compare yourself to #1.
The only area that exceeds Huntsville in terms of tech jobs is research triangle park. That area is probably the closest to silicon valley.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:48 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
The only area that exceeds Huntsville in terms of tech jobs is research triangle park. That area is probably the closest to silicon valley.
Per capita maybe... but there are definitely more opportunities for someone in tech in Atlanta and Austin than in Huntsville.

Old 09-19-2018, 06:48 PM

Also agree that UAB is a lot less of a commuter school than it was 20 years ago.

Old 09-20-2018, 04:20 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,790,094 times
Quote:
Per capita maybe... but there are definitely more opportunities for someone in tech in Atlanta and Austin than in Huntsville.
Atlanta? When I lost my job in 2016 I found very few electrical or computer engineering jobs. Even software engineering jobs were few and far between. Research triangle park on the other hand had tons of jobs from many different tech companies.

I can't speak for Austin.

Old 09-20-2018, 07:08 AM

141 posts, read 178,634 times
Quote:

With the addition of Chatham Park approximately 30 miles away from Research Triangle that area should continue to expand at a rapid pace. I'm a transplant from the triad of NC and find many wonderful things in both Huntsville and Birmingham that actually compliment one another. It would be nice to see those two cities eventually grow together up 65 becoming one massive technology and business corridor. I'm not a technology guy but I would imagine with the strengths of both areas it would be a force to be reckoned with.

Old 09-20-2018, 07:31 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,987,200 times
Is this really still a debate? The answer here is Huntsville, and it isn't close. I'm not HSV-lover and BHM-hater either, I've lived in both, and each are what they are. But if you're talking tech or engineering (specifically aerospace, electrical and computer) in any way, shape, or form, the answer is Huntsville.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Atlanta? When I lost my job in 2016 I found very few electrical or computer engineering jobs. Even software engineering jobs were few and far between. Research triangle park on the other hand had tons of jobs from many different tech companies.

I can't speak for Austin.
Yes, Atlanta.

https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes151132.htm

This is just software engineering as an example, but you will see over 20,000 jobs in Atlanta compared to about 1,500 in Birmingham and 3,000 in Huntsville. There's over 13,000 in Austin area, and close to 20,000 in the Austin-San Antonio combined area.

Even in Computer Engineering, which I agree Huntsville definitely has a big leg up on Birmingham, Atlanta has more jobs than Huntsville (though it is admittedly pretty close).

Old 09-20-2018, 09:57 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,987,200 times
Quote:
Yes, Atlanta.

https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes151132.htm

This is just software engineering as an example, but you will see over 20,000 jobs in Atlanta compared to about 1,500 in Birmingham and 3,000 in Huntsville. There's over 13,000 in Austin area, and close to 20,000 in the Austin-San Antonio combined area.

Even in Computer Engineering, which I agree Huntsville definitely has a big leg up on Birmingham, Atlanta has more jobs than Huntsville (though it is admittedly pretty close).
That's because the ATL metro population is nearing 6 million people. They have every job known to man. Same for Dallas and Houston, even though they may not be actually called a 'tech' hub. Comparing any smaller city to those is meaningless.

Huntsville, much like Raleigh-Durham, is known for that type stuff. It's the whole fabric of the city.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
That's because the ATL metro population is nearing 6 million people. They have every job known to man. Same for Dallas and Houston, even though they may not be actually called a 'tech' hub. Comparing any smaller city to those is meaningless.

Huntsville, much like Raleigh-Durham, is known for that type stuff. It's the whole fabric of the city.
What I said was there was more opportunities for people in tech in Atlanta than in Huntsville. I stand by what I said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area