Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 11:04 AM

377 posts, read 340,162 times

Advertisements

https://www.al.com/business/index.ss...thern_sil.html

The much maligned (deservedly so) al.com had an interesting article on it's site today concerning the rise of Birmingham and Huntsville recently in tech and in stature in impact in the state. I was mostly in agreement with the writer's assessment and found the article nuanced and balanced. My overall takeaway is that Birmingham and Huntsville are the leaders of tech in Alabama (and if one had to choose as the clear leader for the state as did the writer it would be Birmingham, and that is saying something considering where Birmingham was in 2000 or 2005 in tech compared to Huntsville) and the clear leaders of the state going forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2018, 11:15 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,029,926 times
I think it's an apples-vs-oranges debate because the two cities operate in two completely different economic arenas. I do think Huntsville, by default, has had the edge due to the military and space program. However, it has been a decided priority for Birmingham over the past 15 years and is beginning to pay off.

Old 09-18-2018, 11:32 AM

I totally agree here, economically the GDP numbers are way too much to overlook for this not to be an obvious apples to oranges comparison. Birmingham's GDP being more than Huntsville, Mobile, and Montgomery combined show how vastly different the economic arenas of Birmingham and Huntsville are. It is good to see this start to pay off for Birmingham it has indeed been a lot of time and effort put into preparing for a new type of economy.

Old 09-18-2018, 12:21 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,767,961 times
Neither is the "Silicon Valley of the south". Several other metro areas have tech scenes far stronger than either Birmingham or Huntsville.

Huntsville is probably closer, given its percentage of residents in the fields of technology and engineering. But comparing either, even on a small scale, to Silicon Valley is comical.

It would be akin to calling Minneapolis the Miami of the north because there is water nearby.

Does Birmingham even employ the national average per capita for tech? I doubt it. Seems like you might want to be in the top half before you compare yourself to #1.

Old 09-18-2018, 02:27 PM

2,446 posts, read 2,229,364 times
Sometimes I wonder if these al.com writers get their storylines from this very forum haha.

Old 09-18-2018, 02:41 PM

12,963 posts, read 9,481,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Neither is the "Silicon Valley of the south". Several other metro areas have tech scenes far stronger than either Birmingham or Huntsville.

Huntsville is probably closer, given its percentage of residents in the fields of technology and engineering. But comparing either, even on a small scale, to Silicon Valley is comical.

It would be akin to calling Minneapolis the Miami of the north because there is water nearby.

Does Birmingham even employ the national average per capita for tech? I doubt it. Seems like you might want to be in the top half before you compare yourself to #1.
I agree. The "Silicon Valley of the South" is Austin, Texas, and by a huge margin. They are tech developers, not just tech users. And yes, comparing either Huntsville or B'ham to the Silicon Valley is really comical.

Regarding another post ... of course the B'ham area has the highest GDP in the state ... they are the largest and have been for well over 100 years. Some reasons are the central location, and the logistical ease of getting there by vehicle from virtually anywhere. But the GDP is also irrelevant to being the "tech capital".

Old 09-18-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
Sometimes I wonder if these al.com writers get their storylines from this very forum haha.
Seeing this headline I was wondering the same thing lol

Old 09-18-2018, 03:32 PM

508 posts, read 615,788 times
If I surveyed people in California, Huntsville would win. Birmingham is probably more “homegrown” though.

Old 09-18-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post

The real Silicon Valley truly has no equal at this stage and the "Silicon Valley of the South" moniker is more of a figure of speech for a tech area. According to the author the GDP of the area is larger than that of Saudi Arabia, and their population figures for that metro (San Jose) are nearly the size of Alabama. That's truly an apples to oranges comparison for almost anybody.

That being said I don't mind the comparison and see it as a sign of progress. I would like some of the local media to make more comparisons with Austin as well and examine their growth strategies as well, I think we have a lot more in common with them than Silicon Valley and can learn from that experience. I do side with the author with Birmingham having the edge due to the startup culture and UAB's growing presence. To come from having virtually no tech in the early 2000's other than UAB's biotech (hopes at that time) to the forefront of tech in Alabama and the South is commendable.

Old 09-18-2018, 05:16 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,029,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee48 View Post
The real Silicon Valley truly has no equal at this stage and the "Silicon Valley of the South" moniker is more of a figure of speech for a tech area. According to the author the GDP of the area is larger than that of Saudi Arabia, and their population figures for that metro (San Jose) are nearly the size of Alabama. That's truly an apples to oranges comparison for almost anybody.

That being said I don't mind the comparison and see it as a sign of progress. I would like some of the local media to make more comparisons with Austin as well and examine their growth strategies as well, I think we have a lot more in common with them than Silicon Valley and can learn from that experience. I do side with the author with Birmingham having the edge due to the startup culture and UAB's growing presence. To come from having virtually no tech in the early 2000's other than UAB's biotech (hopes at that time) to the forefront of tech in Alabama and the South is commendable.

Probably long term, Birmingham will enjoy more growth in the tech sector for a number of reasons: 1) More significant entrepreneurial culture; 2) Access to more sources of capital; and 3) UAB vs. UAH. Mind you, this is not a slam on Huntsville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area