Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2022, 03:02 PM

666 posts, read 517,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I just sort of scanned the longish article, and they mentioned the "protesters" building tree houses to protect the trees. Not sure if their gripe is with the police and training per se, or they delusionally think they're preserving the environment. Regardless, it's insane and, mostly staying out of politics, it's not all that surprising that the nutcases have come out.

Edit: Just noticed the article is over a year old. Hopefully the vandals were caught and prosecuted.
No, it's a current article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2022, 03:49 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,235,766 times
the article was published today in al.com

Old 09-27-2022, 04:44 PM

1,017 posts, read 641,067 times
Yeah, Defend the Police is about as bad as stop the steal, make America great again, and my favorite, "I declassified them just by thinking about it."

All divisive nonsense designed to incite violence in ignorant people.

Old 09-27-2022, 05:00 PM

3,260 posts, read 3,772,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBankhead View Post
Yeah, Defend the Police is about as bad as stop the steal, make America great again, and my favorite, "I declassified them just by thinking about it."

All divisive nonsense designed to incite violence in ignorant people.
"Make America Great Again" is not any more divisive than "Change we can believe in"

Silly political catchphrases.

Defunding the police was theoretical policy that would have been (in most cases) and was (in a few cases) disastrous.

Old 09-28-2022, 08:44 PM

It seemed that Birmingham had escaped the pandemic relatively unscathed, but there have been several restaurant closings announced in the past few months.

First Bogue's, now Nabeel's. Both longtime establishments in the area announcing their closure. Plus newcomer Little London, which had only been around a couple of years.

Old 09-29-2022, 07:13 AM

10,502 posts, read 7,043,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
It seemed that Birmingham had escaped the pandemic relatively unscathed, but there have been several restaurant closings announced in the past few months.

First Bogue's, now Nabeel's. Both longtime establishments in the area announcing their closure. Plus newcomer Little London, which had only been around a couple of years.

It's kind of a shrug from me. Restaurants come and go. Sometimes they just never had enough capital to begin with. Sometimes the owners get tired. Sometimes they just succumb to staleness.

Bogues had gone downhill and it always seemed to smell of poo. I ate there with a client in July at his insistence. There were maybe five people eating and the waitress was surly.

Nabeel's? I loved eating there, but the owners got tired.

Little London? I think the location killed them.

In truth, Birmingham's restaurant scene is very strong, and getting stronger. However, if Frank Stitt hangs up his apron forever, I will go into mourning.

Old 09-29-2022, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post

Birmingham might be a little late in feeling the pandemic effects but I wouldn't say it's much to shake a stick at yet. Even in the metros we often compare to on this form, people have been surprised and disappointed in which restaurants have closed. I travel and work out of Dallas a lot and there were some closings that shocked everyone. Usually, though, they're quickly replaced and that seems to be happening in Birmingham as well.

But Highlands? The shining star of the Birmingham food scene? I get the lack of "good" employees, but he opened his other restaurants. I can understand it closing, but the long delay is what baffles me. Again, I don't know of any other restaurant that's still unopened, that has not closed permanently.

Old 09-29-2022, 09:09 AM

450 posts, read 337,060 times
With Highlands closed, I feel like Helen has become the new Highlands.

Old 10-06-2022, 01:07 PM

anyone else feeling this at their house? i think it's been almost a month since we've had any measurable rainfall in Crestwood North:

Drought conditions continue to expand in Alabama; any chance for rain?

Old 10-10-2022, 12:22 PM

No doubt Bill Smith has made a positive impact on Birmingham, but these Landing layoffs should **** you off. He brought The Landings HQ to Birmingham in 2021 which promised big payrolls and an investment in the city/state. Within one year, he sold out and is cutting a lot of the corporate positions that Birmingham needs.

Here's what he said in 2021.
“As a Birmingham native, relocating our headquarters and expanding our Alabama team was a natural transition,“ said Bill Smith, founder and CEO of Landing. “I’m excited by the opportunity to continue to scale Landing and bring new jobs and economic opportunities to my community.

Then last week:
“We will support those impacted through their career transitions with generous severance and benefits, extended exercise window for vested equity, and the appropriate support to help them land their next role,” Smith said.

"Vested equity"? How much vested equity could anyone have with such a young company? If any, it would ONLY be some of the top money-makers.

Either way, he just kicked Birmingham in the nuts again but will do something nice to make you forget about it and see him as an asset.

I feel bad for those people who moved their careers from CA and are now dumped off jobless in Birmingham. Or those in Birmingham who forwent other opportunities to work for Landing now find them selves up s-creek again.

True, not all jobs were cut, but a very significant number of corporate jobs that Bham greatly needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area