Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2022, 11:23 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,037,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfmx1 View Post
Anyone know why Bogue's closed? I loved that place and considered it a staple. On a similar note, what's the deal with Highlands Bar & Grill still being closed? I don't know of any other restaurant that isn't permanently closed still not being re-opened. It's very clear the demand is there, so why is it still closed? I wonder if there's more behind the scenes than we're being told?

It used to be good. The quality had fallen off a quick, especially with so many other good breakfast places nearby. Plus it kind of smelled like poo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2022, 01:33 PM

666 posts, read 516,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
It used to be good. The quality had fallen off a quick, especially with so many other good breakfast places nearby. Plus it kind of smelled like poo.
That's interesting.. I haven't been in a while. But any answers to why Highlands Bar & Grill still isn't open? You would think that flagship would be the first to reopen.

Old 09-22-2022, 02:49 PM

Quote:
That's interesting.. I haven't been in a while. But any answers to why Highlands Bar & Grill still isn't open? You would think that flagship would be the first to reopen.

From what I've heard, staffing is the problem. Stitt pretty much had a machine with people working there for decades, which explains why the experience was so consistently good. Once he shut down for Covid, people left for opportunities elsewhere or, like Dolester Miles, decided to pack it in. Hard to replace that stable of talent, I suppose.

Old 09-27-2022, 09:48 AM

2,448 posts, read 2,232,771 times
this story is... insane:

Brasfield & Gorrie chairman’s Mountain Brook home vandalized by Atlanta police training center opponents, officials say

Old 09-27-2022, 10:39 AM

So wait, they're destroying his house and terrorizing him and his family because they are so against a police training facility? These people see no value in training police? Isn't one of their issues that police are NOT properly trained? This is what happens when main stream media wants to cause division and incite violence.

I would hate to be an Atlanta police officer right now.

Old 09-27-2022, 11:06 AM

2,448 posts, read 2,232,771 times
that's how i interpreted it.

and yeah, regardless of anyone's thoughts about police and training facilities, this is SO far over the line of anything that should be considered acceptable. definitely not the way to get your point across.

Old 09-27-2022, 12:56 PM

542 posts, read 557,983 times
Quote:
Referring to the company as “brasfield & buttface,” the group said they vandalized the house with paint and damaged two of Gorrie’s cars, including splashing them “with a gallon of laquer thinner.”
Not only is it over the line, but they manage to do so in a way that makes them sound as spoiled children destroying any message they might have

Old 09-27-2022, 01:45 PM

Not to get too political, but the entire Defund The Police has to be the dumbest thing ever. The slogan does active harm to the cause they're trying to espouse.

I don't think any sane person would oppose substantial reform in policing, particularly after George Floyd was murdered by one cop while three others sat by and watched. But Defund The Police? Who named it that?

Old 09-27-2022, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Not to get too political, but the entire Defund The Police has to be the dumbest thing ever. The slogan does active harm to the cause they're trying to espouse.

I don't think any sane person would oppose substantial reform in policing, particularly after George Floyd was murdered by one cop while three others sat by and watched. But Defund The Police? Who named it that?
It's a simply media/political tactic way to get simple minded people to band together for or against a cause or party. Same idea as calling groups fascist or nazi regardless of truth or knowledge of history. People are generally sheep. Just look at the overall intelligence level of political campaign ads.. Why are they SO annoying and low brow? Because that's what people respond to. We're a doomed species i swear. Idiocracy anybody?

If you hate something and want to squash it, call it racist, fascist, or bigotted.. Keep calling it that until everyone believes it. Next thing you know, you have division and hatred without hardly any actual truth.

Last edited by bfmx1; 09-27-2022 at 02:08 PM..

Old 09-27-2022, 02:05 PM

12,977 posts, read 9,495,132 times
Quote:
So wait, they're destroying his house and terrorizing him and his family because they are so against a police training facility? These people see no value in training police? Isn't one of their issues that police are NOT properly trained? This is what happens when main stream media wants to cause division and incite violence.

I would hate to be an Atlanta police officer right now.
I just sort of scanned the longish article, and they mentioned the "protesters" building tree houses to protect the trees. Not sure if their gripe is with the police and training per se, or they delusionally think they're preserving the environment. Regardless, it's insane and, mostly staying out of politics, it's not all that surprising that the nutcases have come out.

Edit: Just noticed the article is over a year old. Hopefully the vandals were caught and prosecuted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area