Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Blogs > txtqueen
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
  1. Old Comment

I moved out.....Now what?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by maciesmom View Comment

Stop it with your mother. You just like the drama I think. Nothing you've posted matters except getting your ridiculously expensive for what you need laptop working. If you are an adult, making enough money to have ANY "extra" then you use it to keep your things in good repair. That's all.
    Yes, the laptop was super expensive when it was first bought.
    I never ever said spend that much on it, it was a graduation gift.

The laptop is 4 years old and still in pretty good condition. I don't know why I wouldn't make some cheap repairs.

It's $43 after tax for the keyboard, the battery and the charger cord on Amazon. That's super cheap, considering how expensive that **** is other places.
  2. Old Comment

Quote:
    Originally Posted by txtqueen View Comment
    I have a college fund, the laptop is an education expense so I can do online classes at home.
    It's only an education expense if you actually use it for that. If I were your grandmother, I MIGHT be willing to reimburse you AFTER you show that you've actually taken and passed classes. And show me a plan with milestones toward graduations. And, I'd reimburse you incrementally not fully.
  3. Old Comment

Stop it with your mother. You just like the drama I think. Nothing you've posted matters except getting your ridiculously expensive for what you need laptop working. If you are an adult, making enough money to have ANY "extra" then you use it to keep your things in good repair. That's all.
  4. Old Comment

Quote:
    Blahblahblahblahblah...my laptop is broken, what do I do?.Blahblahblahblahblah

Remember all the "extra" money you'll have to save for camping equipment? Use that. Don't involve your mother or your grandmother. That's what "real" adults, who are independent do. End of story.
    I have a college fund, the laptop is an education expense so I can do online classes at home.
  5. Old Comment

The issue isn't with my laptop.
    The issue is with my mom.

I know how to fix the laptop.
    I buy parts to replace the keyboard, the battery and the power cord.
    I remove the ghetto version of windows 7 she gave me and put on a legitimate copy.

The issue is with my mom, going behind my back calling my grandmother, telling her what I am and am not "allowed" or do and her lying to my grandmother telling her I broke my laptop and that this stolen bootleg copy she downloaded off the internet and put on my computer is JUUUUUST fine and that I don't know what I am talking about.

She's still trying to manipulate and control me and I no longer live in her house, she doesn't give me any money and any money I get from my grandmother for the laptop is my college money and my laptop to do online classes at night and during the weekends is an education expense to my grandmother, she is FINE with doing this. My mom needs to sit the **** down and stop trying to step in and control what I do.

That's what I am having trouble with, my mom interfering with my life when I fully don't live at home and I am supporting my way. I pay my rent, I haven't been using the gas card. My laptop is an education expense so I can stay home and do online classes at night and on the weekends and not drive out gas driving to a campus or the library. Plus library computers have 30 minute time limits, at home I can spend however long I want doing my classes.
  6. Old Comment

Blahblahblahblahblah...my laptop is broken, what do I do?.Blahblahblahblahblah

Remember all the "extra" money you'll have to save for camping equipment? Use that. Don't involve your mother or your grandmother. That's what "real" adults, who are independent do. End of story.
  7. Old Comment

Quote:
    You handle it by either taking your laptop to be repaired legitimately or buying new one if you "need" it once you have the money to do so. Your mother or grandmother need not be involved at all. I'm not sure why you even brought them up. In the meantime, use the computer at the library. It's free.

And let it be a lesson to you regarding illegal downloads. Pay for what you use.
    I got it for graduation, it's a $2000 laptop, no need to get a new one just repair what's wrong with it now.

And I can use my college money for school stuff, including getting my laptop fixed. I am going to be taking online classes because I can't take them on campus, not until TG and I have the same schedule or another vehicle. I can't be driving all the way down to Littleton to take classes and out to where TG works and then home, we'd go through gas so quickly. If I can take online classes and drive him to work and come home and not go anywhere else and work on classes at home and then once we have the same schedule still just do online classes after we get off work while making dinner or on the weekends or something.

But its my college fund that I am using to fix it.
    My grandmother said yes, the only reason I had to go to my mom is because she has the checks.

But I need a new battery, a keyboard replacement (laptop keyboard) and a new charger cord. It's $17 for the battery, $10 for the keyboard and $7 for the charger cord, so its cheap stuff.

And it was my mom who illegally downloaded it, not me. I needed to get the virus off.
  8. Old Comment

You handle it by either taking your laptop to be repaired legitimately or buying new one if you "need" it once you have the money to do so. Your mother or grandmother need not be involved at all. I'm not sure why you even brought them up. In the meantime, use the computer at the library. It's free.

And let it be a lesson to you regarding illegal downloads. Pay for what you use.

ETA: You realize you just posted a huge longwinded story when basically the only thing you needed to say was "My laptop isn't working. What do I do?" You'll find your problems will be much more easily solved if you quit bogging them down with stories that have nothing to do with the problem. You tend to get lost focusing on the story instead of the solution.
    Updated 05-29-2012 at 05:49 PM by maciesmom
  9. Old Comment

Marriage and Children

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Comment
    Why did he leave his old job?

You told us he was on track to be a store manager and make $50,000. a year.

They were doing illegal things at work and his managers started treating him differently and like ****. He was only making 9/hr, now he's making 13 and is always guaranteed 40 hours a week of work.
  10. Old Comment

Marriage and Children

Finish school before you settle down on a job to have the same hours as he has. My husband and I hardly see each other right now, but we know it'll be worth it in the end. He's working three jobs but getting the experience he needs to move up. I'm working varied shifts but about to start school again for math/ecoomics to either become an actuary or a math teacher. See, we know where are headed and are willing to sacrifice for it..
  11. Old Comment

Marriage and Children

I got married at 21, and my husband was 25. We don't have kids yet, and that's a sad point for us because we want kids.
  12. Old Comment

Amazing news!

I'd rather hear you are paying $100 than nothing. Something is better than nothing.
  13. Old Comment

Marriage and Children

Good advice from ewag!
  14. Old Comment

Marriage and Children

Why did he leave his old job?

You told us he was on track to be a store manager and make $50,000. a year.
  15. Old Comment

Marriage and Children

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Comment
    One more piece of unsolicited advice: I believe that every woman should have her own money, no matter how wonderful and stable her relationship. If you choose to pool resources, pool resources, but make sure you have money and savings that are in just your name.

And watch the beginning scenes from the Disney movie "UP" where they have to keep breaking their savings jar for ridiculously timed emergencies. I laugh and sigh every time I see it, because it is so true.
    Of course, I will have my money and him his, we'll have our pooled money but I will have my savings as well and my paycheck is my paycheck, we've just been solely using my money while there was a gap between leaving his old job and starting the new one.
  16. Old Comment

Marriage and Children

One more piece of unsolicited advice: I believe that every woman should have her own money, no matter how wonderful and stable her relationship. If you choose to pool resources, pool resources, but make sure you have money and savings that are in just your name.

And watch the beginning scenes from the Disney movie "UP" where they have to keep breaking their savings jar for ridiculously timed emergencies. I laugh and sigh every time I see it, because it is so true.
    Posted 05-27-2012 at 06:15 PM by eastwesteastagain eastwesteastagain is offline
  17. Old Comment

Marriage and Children

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Comment
    I understand how hard it is to not see each other much. We did it for years and years, and still do, to some extent.

The best (unsolicited) advice I could give a new couple in their 20s would be to work your arses off now, do everything in your power to maximize your earning potential, improve your credit, and save up substantial sums for whatever your dream is (a house? A car? Being able to retire before you're 90? Having the option to take extended maternity/paternity leave?). Time starts to move really fast the older we get, and before you know it you will be 35. I know it's hard to think about that right now, you are still young, you're in love, everything seems possible, there's so much time, etc. Enjoy it and realistically plan for the future. It will be here faster than you think. Trust me, working two jobs and going to school in one's 20s before kids is a lot easier to manage (not easy, but easier) than doing it in one's 30s or 40s. FWIW, I don't think people are trying to rain on your parade, we just want to see you set yourself up to do well. Life can be tough and things rarely work out like we expect, y'know? I do wish you good luck.
    We're pretty set right now.
    We're bringing in nearly $3000 a month between the two of us once his second paycheck hits, the first one will be small since its the first check but the others will be full checks.

But we can pretty much cover our expenses with about $1000, our SET expenses. Rent/utilities/cable/internet is all bundled into $730, my cell, my car insurance all fits with in the $1000.

But that means we pretty much have like $2000 after that where the majority can go into savings, so we have it really easy right now and I am so glad he's a great financial planner when it comes to this stuff because once we get the second car out of the way, the camping gear and the bed we are going to start putting away for even bigger ticket items like housing but he wants to take all this slow he says he have a long time to do the things we want to do so we have at least a year or more to start putting away for a house or whatever, it'll be more like 3 years or so and we could put away a lot during that time.
  18. Old Comment

Marriage and Children

Quote:
    Originally Posted by txtqueen View Comment
    Thats kind of how we are now.
    I mean he works weeks and I work tuesday/wed/sat/sun, still 40 hours and ALL DAY 7am-7pm Sat and Sun.
    We barely see each other and we're doing to make ends meet so we can have money to buy our camping gear and a second car, etc.
    We're weathering a storm right now. I need a better job, I need the same hours as him and it's really hard on me right now, so I'll be looking for a higher paying job one that works the same hours as him m-f 8-5.
    I understand how hard it is to not see each other much. We did it for years and years, and still do, to some extent.

The best (unsolicited) advice I could give a new couple in their 20s would be to work your arses off now, do everything in your power to maximize your earning potential, improve your credit, and save up substantial sums for whatever your dream is (a house? A car? Being able to retire before you're 90? Having the option to take extended maternity/paternity leave?). Time starts to move really fast the older we get, and before you know it you will be 35. I know it's hard to think about that right now, you are still young, you're in love, everything seems possible, there's so much time, etc. Enjoy it and realistically plan for the future. It will be here faster than you think. Trust me, working two jobs and going to school in one's 20s before kids is a lot easier to manage (not easy, but easier) than doing it in one's 30s or 40s. FWIW, I don't think people are trying to rain on your parade, we just want to see you set yourself up to do well. Life can be tough and things rarely work out like we expect, y'know? I do wish you good luck.
    Posted 05-27-2012 at 05:57 PM by eastwesteastagain eastwesteastagain is offline
  19. Old Comment

Amazing news!

Yes I know that right there would be 14 years paying it off but the more we save and the more income we have it could be a little more each month whatever, it could be adjusted.
  20. Old Comment

Amazing news!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Comment
    No, no, no. You put your payment to grandma in the budget, then you see how much you have left over to save for camping gear and a platform bed. Do you have no concept of priorities? No concept that you pay down debt before you buy more stuff? ETA - you don't ask TG if there is room in the budget, you tell him you are paying your grandma back. It is the right thing to do.

Being completely serious, I recommend you watch Suze Orman on CNBC Saturday evenings. You can learn a lot of basics from her.
    He already said we can put it in the budget and I am doing $100 a month to her but in the mean time we still are going to AT THE SAME TIME, save for a tent and things like that. For my birthday I am asking for an IKEA gift card so that can help us with buying the platform bedframe.