Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 09:04 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,496,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
BMW reveals new M5
Almost production-ready concept breaks cover ahead of Shanghai motor show debut

Full story here

More pictures here

Personally, I think BMW did it again, and I'm glad to see it back in V8 form, even with turbos (which they've proven to be quite good at). In 5-10 years this will definitely be at the top of my "I really really want this, can I have it please?" list that's sent in for spousal approval.
Oh wow, er, yep, it looks exactly like the old overpriced M5. A car for those that want to say more than they do...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 09:33 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,339,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timfountain View Post
Oh wow, er, yep, it looks exactly like the old overpriced M5. A car for those that want to say more than they do...
Considered glasses? The changes are pretty obvious.

Old 04-17-2011, 11:02 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,075,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timfountain View Post
How about for those that actually enjoy driving?

Old 04-18-2011, 02:51 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,762,837 times
Looks nice. I hope it is a significant improvement over the last one. I'm sure there's already a CTS-V development mule loaded up with a ZR-1 engine in an anticipated response for its redesign.

Last edited by Tourian; 04-18-2011 at 03:24 PM..

Old 04-18-2011, 03:22 PM

420 posts, read 877,615 times
I think the "rest of us" who appreciate real value, and dont lust for german cars just because
theyre foreign, would be able to afford the 2012 Caddy CTS-V, easier, with higher performance
and greatly improved build quality...

And from what Ive seen on MotorWeek, and read in Motor Trend
and Car and Driver, It can do anything the M5 can and better for
less $$. Thats why BMW had to beef up the so-called 'champ', M5.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegotsoul831 View Post
I think the "rest of us" who appreciate real value, and dont lust for german cars just because
theyre foreign, would be able to afford the 2012 Caddy CTS-V, easier, with higher performance

...Uuuh, BMW "had" to beef ut the M5 because they had a new model out. They would never release a new M car without doing so. Technology improves and so does their cars, it's just basic common sense.

There's several reasons I prefer the BMW, interior being one (layout etc), which they made massively better than the last model. The way it rides would be another, I love the way BMW's handle, the tight, direct response, yet civility when called for. They just feel planted and "proper" and I never feel tired stepping out of one, which leads to another reason: Seats, I've yet to sit in a car with seats that have supported me better than BMW sport seats, they just fit me like a glove.

Other than that, I like the design a lot more, I like their engines and I like the brand. Couldn't care less where it's from though, I don't consider it an "import" more than I do a Caddy, seeing as I'm not from here. SO no, I don't lust for this due to it's country of origin.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:23 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,075,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegotsoul831 View Post

Although the CTS-V is also a great car, I'll take the M5 every time if price wasn't an issue. They also "beefed up" the new car because the current M5 is six years old and a new generation of 5 series is out. It has very little to do with the Caddy. It's fairly obvious from your response that you're quite ignorant on the topic.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:33 PM

The Production Spec BMW M5 is now released, and little has changed since the concept car.

From Top Gear:
Quote:
BMW has finally revealed the production version of its most famous super-saloon.

Virtually unchanged from the Concept M5 revealed back in April and honed (of course) on the Nurburgring, the new BMW M5 loses the high-revving V10 for a 4.4-litre twin-turbocharged V8 engine developing 555bhp and a colossal 506lb ft of torque. BMW reckons it is ‘lag-free' and gives a ‘trademark M car thrust'.

BMW has installed a seven-speed double clutch auto box to handle those many torques and horses, together with three modes. S1 gives light, gentle shifts, S2 makes it harder and ‘jolts at higher revs', while S3 is the bingo-button which allows launch control to catapult the M5 - via a multi-plate limited slip M differential - from 0-62mph in 4.4 seconds and 0-124mph in 13 seconds. Top speed is limited to 155mph, or 190mph with the ‘M Driver's Package'. That's a fast package.

It comes with damper control, stability control, six-piston brake callipers and an ‘M dynamic mode', while two individual setups for the car can be programmed and called up using the M Drive buttons.
Full Story

Old 06-16-2011, 12:42 AM

491 posts, read 1,651,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
...Uuuh, BMW "had" to beef ut the M5 because they had a new model out. They would never release a new M car without doing so. Technology improves and so does their cars, it's just basic common sense.

There's several reasons I prefer the BMW, interior being one (layout etc), which they made massively better than the last model. The way it rides would be another, I love the way BMW's handle, the tight, direct response, yet civility when called for. They just feel planted and "proper" and I never feel tired stepping out of one, which leads to another reason: Seats, I've yet to sit in a car with seats that have supported me better than BMW sport seats, they just fit me like a glove.

Other than that, I like the design a lot more, I like their engines and I like the brand. Couldn't care less where it's from though, I don't consider it an "import" more than I do a Caddy, seeing as I'm not from here. SO no, I don't lust for this due to it's country of origin.
Agree, I always take the long way home when I'm on the highway, the cars are that fun to drive.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:16 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,647,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
NICE!

I was at the Dallas Auto Show today and BMW let me down. They did not have this there at all. Only M was an M3 Conv and an M1. There was not a single 6 series on display .

A good friend purchased an M5 a few months ago and thoroughly has enjoyed it. Oh, and he PURCHASED it, not leased it .

I'm hoping for an M6 convertible later on this year or something fun and sporty and perferably convertible.
From what I've seen it doesn't look like the 6 series will have a coupe, which is a disappointment. I actually like the look better with this 5 series than the past couple. Now, if only BMW would stop nickel-and-dime you for real leather seats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI