Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 10:38 AM

859 posts, read 2,828,338 times

Advertisements

Still Not a fan. I haven't seen a half way decent car from BMW since the Z8 Roadster was discontinued. They need to fire their designers and while they're at it revamp their entire quality control system. BMW reliability is some of the worst to come from any major car manufacturer in the last 10 yrs. Who do they thin they are GM?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 10:49 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,339,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johna01374 View Post
Still Not a fan. I haven't seen a half way decent car from BMW since the Z8 Roadster was discontinued. They need to fire their designers and while they're at it revamp their entire quality control system. BMW reliability is some of the worst to come from any major car manufacturer in the last 10 yrs. Who do they thin they are GM?
People keep bringing that up, and I always wonder what it's based off off, considering that certain BMW models have been amongst the absolute most reliable on the European market the last 5-7 years.

What is it that's such poor quality on the US models?

Old 10-18-2011, 12:25 PM

859 posts, read 2,828,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
People keep bringing that up, and I always wonder what it's based off off, considering that certain BMW models have been amongst the absolute most reliable on the European market the last 5-7 years.

What is it that's such poor quality on the US models?
Mostly electronics and sensors. We see tons of wheel speed sensors, crank sensors and Tire pressure sensors go bad. A few main computer failures and it seems like every model with the self leveling headlights also fail but lately we're seeing accessories fail. Things like blower motors, wiper motors, alternators, starters, water pumps and a whole pile of faulty interior parts like the Nav systems, radios, window and door switches, anti theft systems etc. The 5 series cars also have a tendency to develop shorts in the wiring that drain batteries and cause all kinds of headaches. We've seen cars with remote start fail and start the car all by itself then refuse to start when the key is inserted. I can go on and on but I'm tired of typing. All these things seem to be a pretty major problems on cars from about 2000 to 2006/2007. We don't see too many newer than that as they are still under warranty and BMW's headache.

We had a Convertible model in a few months back that the top wouldn't go down on. After two days and countless hours on the phone with BMW we gave up. The guy took the car to BMW who had it for over a month and finally put and entire main body wiring harness in it at the cost of a couple of thousand dollars. Car was a 2006 if I remember correctly. Not exactly how I want to spend my money..

Last edited by johna01374; 10-18-2011 at 12:35 PM..

Old 10-18-2011, 12:34 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,882,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johna01374 View Post
Not as worse as some MBs in the last 10 yrs.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:23 PM

1,780 posts, read 4,025,238 times
BMW should just use the styling of their older models circa 1990-1995, just with updated mechanicals/features.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:33 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,082,883 times
Did you know they're no longer bringing the wagon to the U.S? They killed the 5-series wagon last year or the year before, I believe. Do you know how hard it is to find a decent sports wagon with a manual transmission? What's wrong with Americans? We don't find the virtue or beauty in sports wagons because they're "station wagons" while wagon turds like the Chevy HHR and the PT Cruiser sell like hot cakes. What kind of country is this we're living in?! For the love of God, forget your SUV - wagons can haul stuff, too, and also be fun to drive!

Old 10-18-2011, 02:11 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,882,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
Did you know they're no longer bringing the wagon to the U.S? They killed the 5-series wagon last year or the year before, I believe. Do you know how hard it is to find a decent sports wagon with a manual transmission? What's wrong with Americans? We don't find the virtue or beauty in sports wagons because they're "station wagons" while wagon turds like the Chevy HHR and the PT Cruiser sell like hot cakes. What kind of country is this we're living in?! For the love of God, forget your SUV - wagons can haul stuff, too, and also be fun to drive!
Seems like the US is the only country out there that doesn't like driving dynamics or practicality.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:45 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,694,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsh56 View Post
Seems like the US is the only country out there that doesn't like driving dynamics or practicality.
Wagons don't sell, every single wagon introduced in the United States recently has been an abysmal failure. It's such a niche product that it isn't profitable to produce for the US market.

I HATE wagons; they're ugly, mediocre, and just overall disappointing vehicles. Most people in this country who haul things either have a truck or SUV, nobody uses wagons.

I remember commercials about the Dodge Magnum with a guy demonstrating that a full-size latter will fit into the vehicle. How many people really haul around latters anyway?? Any contractor/painter/construction worker will have a work truck, not a station wagon.

Europe can have those damn things, I hate seeing them!

Old 10-18-2011, 03:03 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,339,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Wagons don't sell, every single wagon introduced in the United States recently has been an abysmal failure. It's such a niche product that it isn't profitable to produce for the US market.

I HATE wagons; they're ugly, mediocre, and just overall disappointing vehicles. Most people in this country who haul things either have a truck or SUV, nobody uses wagons.

I remember commercials about the Dodge Magnum with a guy demonstrating that a full-size latter will fit into the vehicle. How many people really haul around latters anyway?? Any contractor/painter/construction worker will have a work truck, not a station wagon.

Europe can have those damn things, I hate seeing them!
I have no idea what you're talking about.

They're far better looking than both SUV's and trucks, in my opinion.

I don't know what you think is mediocre about them and they're certainly not disappointing, you get SUV hauling capabilities and regular car handling, for those of us who like nice handling in a car but also need to haul crap around on occasion, it's perfect, and the BMW wagons are most certainly not slouches nor disappointing in any aspect, least of all the 5 series (or M5 wagon).

Old 10-18-2011, 03:07 PM

290 posts, read 921,581 times
Crossovers are the new wagons. The CTS wagon looks pretty nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI