Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 03:11 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,694,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
I have no idea what you're talking about.

They're far better looking than both SUV's and trucks, in my opinion.

I don't know what you think is mediocre about them and they're certainly not disappointing, you get SUV hauling capabilities and regular car handling, for those of us who like nice handling in a car but also need to haul crap around on occasion, it's perfect, and the BMW wagons are most certainly not slouches nor disappointing in any aspect, least of all the 5 series (or M5 wagon).
You can't really add in vehicles like the M5 wagon or the CTS-V wagon; very, VERY few people buy these vehicles. For $80K+ you can have both a truck, a sedan, AND a sports car!

On balance, most REGULAR wagons offer mediocre performance with a fraction of the utility or capacity that a full-size SUV or truck offers. This is coupled with mediocre performance and less-than-stellar handling. What are you really buying? A big turd that reeks of mediocrity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 03:23 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,889,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
I have no idea what you're talking about.

They're far better looking than both SUV's and trucks, in my opinion.

I don't know what you think is mediocre about them and they're certainly not disappointing, you get SUV hauling capabilities and regular car handling, for those of us who like nice handling in a car but also need to haul crap around on occasion, it's perfect, and the BMW wagons are most certainly not slouches nor disappointing in any aspect, least of all the 5 series (or M5 wagon).
I'm with you

I've always loved sport wagons, I know I'm a rare minority here. The MB E-class AMG Estate
Mercedes-Benz E 63 AMG Estate review - Telegraph,
the BMW M-5 wagon, RS6 Avant and the RS4 Avant
2008 Audi RS6 Avant Revealed...580 Horsepower in a Sweet Family Mobile! (The Torque Report)
Gorgeous! (even though this is out-of-date)

I would be one of the two people in this country who would definitely choose the Caddi CTS V wagon over any of the other body styles in a heartbeat. (the other, a buddy of mine who has a Porsche Cayman S)

For now I can only dream, but do enjoy the hell out of my WRX wagon which generally eats Porsches for lunch

Wagons have way better handling than SUVs- it's just physics, and very usable cargo carrying capacity.

Back to the OP, the interior is miles better, hard to make huge judgements on the exterior without seeing it in person. I do like the tall greenhouse- again I'm against the grain with everyone else seeming to want to feel like they are in a coffin while in a car with skinny 8" tall windows

Old 10-18-2011, 04:18 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,339,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
You can't really add in vehicles like the M5 wagon or the CTS-V wagon; very, VERY few people buy these vehicles. For $80K+ you can have both a truck, a sedan, AND a sports car!

On balance, most REGULAR wagons offer mediocre performance with a fraction of the utility or capacity that a full-size SUV or truck offers. This is coupled with mediocre performance and less-than-stellar handling. What are you really buying? A big turd that reeks of mediocrity.
I disagree with all of the bolded part, I don't find wagons to be worse handling than the sedans they are based off of, and the BMW wagons (3 and 5 series) are excellent performers, their performance is equal to the sedan model.

The 3 series wagon has more cargo space than the X3 SUV.

Which brings me back to the topic... I wonder what the 3 series wagon is going to look like.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:31 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,922,446 times
i see bmw 3 series everyday on the road. come across as a car people buy to pretend they have money.

the bang for the buck you get with that series in general is crap.

its people who pay for the bmw logo to make themselves feel like they are a somebody, thats the vibe i get.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:06 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
i see bmw 3 series everyday on the road. come across as a car people buy to pretend they have money.

its people who pay for the bmw logo to make themselves feel like they are a somebody, thats the vibe i get.
Or, maybe they just like the car.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:30 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,694,054 times
Quote:

True and false.

The BMW 3 Series IS a very nice vehicle for the money. I mean for around $35K base price, you do get a fairly well-equipped vehicle. Unfortunately because the car is so cheap to get in to, it attracts quite a few posers and wanna-be millionaires.

I've been in a few 3 Series and while they aren't my taste, I can see why they're popular.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:59 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,335,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
while wagon turds like the Chevy HHR and the PT Cruiser sell like hot cakes. !
The PT cruiser was discontinued and the HHR is in its last year. Both fell to poor sales.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:11 AM

106,608 posts, read 108,757,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
From what I've read there is very little feedback through the steering wheel with electric steering. Takes some of the fun and precision out of driving.
so not true,i have a 328xi and its an amazing feel.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:14 AM

Quote:

i used to think that too,until i owned one..
i do a lot of highway driving and the stability at high speeds is just great.

the ability to pass trucks with a blip of the gas pedal while already doing 75 or the feeling like your on tracks at speeds over 100 are what the car is all about.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:02 AM

p.s. im not saying you have to drive over 100 mph either.. that stability carrys right through at all highway speeds.

the road feel is excellent and the feedback you get is very precise.

my only issue with the 328xi is they gave me a 335xi as loaner once and its a different breed all together. the difference in performance between the 335 and the 328 is night and day . now i want that 335.

when i drive my daughters 2012 camray it feels like im driving a bathtub in comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI