Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2008, 02:26 PM

779 posts, read 2,246,508 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I recently created a thread regarding cooling hoses for a 1989 BMW 325is coupe regarding installation and was able to successfully do so and now I have another problem:

I have automatic transmission. When I shift to drive, the car stalls and when I ship to reverse, it does not reverse. I took it to my local BMW dealer and they told me that there is nothing they can do as far as repairs on my transmission (which is a GM transmission) and that it will cost my $4,000 for a new one, plus $300 for an idling problem that I have (idles from 2 to 3,000 rpm when the car is at park and trust me, my foot is not on the gas while at park. There really is an idol issue).

My question is, is there anyway I can figure out if there are any parts I can get at a salvage yard to correct the stalling when I shift to drive, the reverse gear so I can reverse, and the idling problem?

Now based on my user name, you would think that I can figure all of this on my own but I am still an entry-level technician that is gung ho to learn all that I can on repairing cars.

Thank you guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 03:01 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,159,014 times
You need to check in with two technician oriented organizations:

ATRA, Automatic Transmission Rebuilder's Association

IATN, Independent Automotive Technician's Network

Both of these are "in the trade" groups, and have a lot of information relating specifically to the problems BMW cars have with their transmissions and running issues. There are well-known ... in the trade ... fixes for the specific problems with these cars.

Depending upon the relationship your employer has with the industry trade groups, you may have ready access to these groups, or you may have to join for a nominal fee. If you're really set upon a pro career path and want to establish your earnings power, you will join such groups as these.

They are a world apart from Chilton's and AllData when it comes to BMW cars, fixes, tips, and information. What sets the two groups I mentioned apart is that they're operated by techs for techs, with real-world diagnostic and repair experience in the field as opposed to reporting manufacturer repair manuals.

Last edited by sunsprit; 12-20-2008 at 03:24 PM..

Old 12-20-2008, 03:16 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,670,235 times
For starters I'd probably find a good independent BMW shop and get an estimate first.

I stay away from dealers after I was charged $104 to replace a $3 part.

There are also BMW dismantlers that probably will have a some rebuilt e30 transmissions you can slap in.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:09 PM

Thanks for the great tips guys...I will see what I can do.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:26 PM

625 posts, read 4,570,244 times
Yeah, BMW dealerships will just want to swap in a new tranny basically...not enough money in rebuilding for them to deal with. you can try bimmerforums or bimmerfest for tips on your idle issue and maybe your auto tranny issue. Good thing though is that if it's the tranny made by GM then it will be fairly reasonable to have it rebuilt and any shop should be able to do it. Or just get a junkyard tranny and swap it yourself or have someone else do it-shouldn't be that hard on a rear wheel drive car.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:29 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,438,544 times
First thing I'd do is check the fluid level and quality. If it smells burnt do a drain/refill. My Volvo doesn't have a filter I'm not sure if yours does or not. Doing a couple drain/refills over a few thousand miles did wonders for my Volvo. I'm switching to a synthetic fluid next.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:34 PM

Thank you guys. Yeah, it is a sad deal for me because the only thing I know with trannies is servicing them, or draining the fluid. My last tranny service was in September, but I will double-check the dipstick just to make sure it is not burning.

I have had bad luck with independent shops and am afraid to go back in fear of the cost. I have put more money into the car than what is worth and the car is paid for ($3500).

*Sighs* I think I am just going to find another car and trade in my BMW, if I cannot get my transmission rebuilt. I will continue to see what I can do and I really appreciate everybodies output.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:13 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,438,544 times
If all else fails and you are just going to trade it in, try Lucas Stop Slip. I've seen it do nothing and I've seen it completely fix the slippage for tens of thousands of miles and up. At this point I doubt it would hurt your tranny. Is the fluid fresh?

Old 08-10-2011, 06:12 AM

1 posts, read 9,254 times
Im over BMW's...they just suck and drain ur pockets flat....too dear to maintain...I have an immaculate E30 with only 169000 Kilometres, absolutley perfect inside out as new...But transmission plays when u want to reverse, It only engages when it feelss like it..Ive tried it all, new fluid,new filter,adjustments,checked linkage u name it...No improvement...Besides that it drives perfect in all forward gears...I suppose the only solution is a complete new rebuild..U just have to take it up the arse and shut up sometimes...thats the level ive reached with these cars...Ill never drive a Bmw again...mabe a Hyundai or Kia would last longer...Cheeers boys...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI