Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2010, 08:01 AM

8 posts, read 29,876 times

Advertisements

Several things here....

I'm 60 years old, I live in North Carolina, I'm married, I do not have a job. I'm divorcing and moving to Boise Idaho. I have an elderly mother who lives in Burley and I cannot live with her.

Here is my issue: I will be moving to Boise and I need to rent a place to live. I am 7 years into a bankrupcty, and of course when I land in Boise, I will have no job.

If you were a landlord, and I paid you 6 months in advance for rent, would you rent to me? I could give references in regards to cleanliness. I have no credit now.

Next: When I arrive in Boise I will need to purchase myself a good used car. However, before I purchased this car I would want to take it somewhere to have it completly checked out. How does one do that there in Boise???

I have over 40 years of work experience under my belt. Most of that experience has been secretarial/administrative work. I'm hoping I could find something when I get there. It is just too hard to find that kind of work from afar.

Any info and answers to my questions will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 05:55 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,839,717 times
Connie,

I'm sure others will give you some "local" answers. But you can find from several other posts here that the job market in Boise is VERY impacted and you're not advised to move here without a job unless you have a really good fall back position or decent savings to live on...

Old 07-02-2010, 06:06 PM
pll

1,112 posts, read 2,486,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicoconnie123 View Post
When I arrive in Boise I will need to purchase myself a good used car. However, before I purchased this car I would want to take it somewhere to have it completly checked out. How does one do that there in Boise???
We bought 2 used cars off of Craigslist for our kids about year ago. We had them checked out at a place called Rooster's on Fairview. IMO, the owner/mechanic is very reliable and trustworthy. I'm sure you can find a place to rent off of Craigslist as well.

Best of luck to you.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:51 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
I am going to echo Sage with caution here. I live in Oregon, and the same applies here. It is very hard right now. I can certainly appreciate the desire for a new start far away, but want to reiterate that the job market out here is really bad.

On balance, Boise is large enough that if you are willing to take a position anywhere in the metropolitan area you might make the transition ok. Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area