Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 02:28 PM

49 posts, read 82,423 times

Advertisements

There are plans to build a new mall or re-develop the current shocking one you have which will of course create new jobs. To be fair from what ive read - now ive never visited your city so all this info is from the web - it seems your city is very popular and there is a lot of outdoor stuff to do which to me means great potential for new businesses to start up; tourist tours for example, fishing trips, road trips, hiking expeditions etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 11:10 AM

674 posts, read 1,459,127 times
People don't want to pay someone to do all of that stuff you can do for free or close to free... and those niches that people will pay for (whitewater rafting, for instance), are completely flooded.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hp1167 View Post
People don't want to pay someone to do all of that stuff you can do for free or close to free... and those niches that people will pay for (whitewater rafting, for instance), are completely flooded.

I think you will find that tourists WILL pay. The point of going on holliday is to relax and have fun not become drill Sargent and plan everything to the T. And its not easy to know about everything to do and where to go when you are not from that city.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:19 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,708,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey10 View Post
There are plans to build a new mall or re-develop the current shocking one you have which will of course create new jobs. To be fair from what ive read - now ive never visited your city so all this info is from the web - it seems your city is very popular and there is a lot of outdoor stuff to do which to me means great potential for new businesses to start up; tourist tours for example, fishing trips, road trips, hiking expeditions etc.
I haven't heard of any plans to build a new mall and Boise's not really a tourist destination.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:22 PM

863 posts, read 2,993,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
Boise's not really a tourist destination.
Dismantling of the Convention and Visitors Bureau isn't going to do much help Idaho tourism either.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
I haven't heard of any plans to build a new mall and Boise's not really a tourist destination.

Sorry for the confusion it was Fort Collins that was getting a new mall - and they need it!

Not sure what your mall is like but it seems most in America are way too small compared the UK. Cardiff has over 300 shops (clothes only) in the city centre and its half the size of Dever for example yet we have more shops. Build more shops create more jobs keep taxes low = allows businesses to grow

Old 02-07-2011, 12:27 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,364,703 times
A new outdoor shopping center aka Lifestyle center is planned for the corner of Fairview and Eagle in Meridian and supposed to bring stores into the valley that are new to Idaho.

Boise does attract a lot of tourists moreso during the warm months, mainly as a gateway to the Idaho outdoors and of course the whitewater, this is the whitewater mecca of the west. So yeah, there are tourists that come to Boise and several tourists come for mountain biking during the summer time.

The state has it's own tourist department so the city bureau will have little effect on the state as a whole but the city bureau was just given $$ to operate for the year while they work out issues with the convention marketing per recent news.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:11 PM

879 posts, read 2,858,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
Boise does attract a lot of tourists moreso during the warm months, mainly as a gateway to the Idaho outdoors and of course the whitewater, this is the whitewater mecca of the west. So yeah, there are tourists that come to Boise and several tourists come for mountain biking during the summer time.
Keyword "gateway". I know more people interested in moving to Boise than visiting. I've never met anyone who has or is looking to vacation in Boise. Boise is a great place to live but it is not a "destination".

Old 02-07-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boi2socal View Post
Keyword "gateway". I know more people interested in moving to Boise than visiting. I've never met anyone who has or is looking to vacation in Boise. Boise is a great place to live but it is not a "destination".

Whats the economy based on then?

Old 02-07-2011, 03:33 PM

879 posts, read 2,858,653 times
Some high tech, service, health and government. Tourism is not a big part of Boise's economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area