Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 02:03 AM

2,071 posts, read 6,694,554 times

Advertisements

Hi all. First post here in the Idaho boards. We are from a suburb of Las Vegas, our neighborhood and schools are fine/safe. But many Las Vegas schools are the opposite.

So I was wondering are there known unsafe areas of Boise or in the Boise suburbs to avoid? If so, which areas?

Overall how is the crime rate in Boise? Has anybody had any real issues? Are there areas to avoid when visiting?

Gangs? Again where and any real major issues?

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 07:04 AM

993 posts, read 3,251,826 times
Very safe. Nothing compaired to Vegas. Can't think of any places to avoid on purpose.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:27 AM

2,008 posts, read 3,325,405 times
Yeah, the worst parts of the area would be Garden City and some parts of Nampa and Caldwell, and it's not even all bad. At most you'd just have to worry about stolen car stereos. But shootings and stuff like that are pretty rare, and gangs here are nothing in comparison to other larger cities. Real thugs from real gangs would laugh at what gets called a gang around here - laugh...

If you can handle Vegas, Boise will be a cakewalk.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:04 AM

2,071 posts, read 6,694,554 times
Thank you! Thats a great thing! Because these gangs are really destroying many cities/towns. Keep Boise the way it is then.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:19 AM

1,639 posts, read 4,706,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
Yeah, the worst parts of the area would be Garden City and some parts of Nampa and Caldwell, and it's not even all bad. At most you'd just have to worry about stolen car stereos. But shootings and stuff like that are pretty rare, and gangs here are nothing in comparison to other larger cities. Real thugs from real gangs would laugh at what gets called a gang around here - laugh...

If you can handle Vegas, Boise will be a cakewalk.
Agreed, it's pretty safe anywhere, especially compared to Vegas. Avoid Garden City and pockets of the Bench, Nampa and Caldwell. Even in the "bad" areas your biggest worry is going to be property crime. Of course violent crime does happen in Boise but you can reduce your odds of becoming a victim to almost zero if you excercise good judgement.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:58 AM

623 posts, read 1,612,010 times
Any of these areas--Garden City, the bench, Nampa and Caldwell are MOSTLY filled with wonderful neighborhoods. There are some pockets--small parts of these larger areas--that are less desirable but I wouldn't rule out any of these areas.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:57 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,470,404 times
We are a vendor for Ada County Sheriff and so I usually chit chat with them whenever they come into the shop. When I asked the sheriff if there was any neighborhood that would be unsafe to walk through at 2:00 in the morning in Ada County he said no. But he did say that there are some pockets of Nampa and Caldwell that are kind of dicey. Overall Boise is a very safe place.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:25 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
I would not walk on the Greenbelt at night.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:52 AM

2,008 posts, read 3,325,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
Agreed, it's pretty safe anywhere, especially compared to Vegas. Avoid Garden City and pockets of the Bench, Nampa and Caldwell. Even in the "bad" areas your biggest worry is going to be property crime. Of course violent crime does happen in Boise but you can reduce your odds of becoming a victim to almost zero if you excercise good judgement.
Even most of the violent crime is between people who know each other. Violent crime against strangers is pretty rare.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:25 AM

58 posts, read 194,010 times
I just bought a house in Caldwell, and am very excited about it. I have read all the stuff on this board about the gangs, talked to lots of real estate people, city people, and found the perfect house for us. I even have a Caldwell PD officer for a neighbor-so I am feeling good! There are gangs in every city in the U.S.-you have to be aware of where you are going, and it is not only gangs to fear-as you should already know living in Las Vegas. I looked in Vegas for over 6 months, but it was a nightmare-all the short sales and foreclosures-bid on over 40 houses and got 3 bids accepted, but I could never get comfortable with the areas-even had my ex-husband who lives there telling me he lives in a $600,000. house and there are robberies all around him-plus in order to get an offer on a house accepted, there were so many investors with cash to beat you out, I had to offer approx. $10,000. over the asking price of the home-that is just nuts! So I finally started looking in the northwest-and literally stumbled upon the Canyon County/Boise area. I looked for almost a year, and had two bad home inspections-but finally found a beauty-and we just closed escrow!!!! I am always aware of my surroundings-the gangs usually stay to themselves and fight within themselves-if you are aware and practice safe habits-I don't think you will have any problems. I think you will really enjoy Idaho-I am so looking forward to the change of the seasons, and seeing farming land, and breathing some fresh air, and meeting some nice, friendly people-jumping off this fast track to nowhere where I live now, to a kinder, peaceful place to enjoy life, see new things, and get involved with my community volunteering !!!!

Last edited by IdaHoeHotPotatoe; 05-14-2011 at 11:28 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area