Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2011, 09:27 AM

11 posts, read 30,855 times

Advertisements

In South Florida every community is governed by an HOA and most of the HOA's are very pricey. I'm not a fan of HOA's but I understand the relevance of having an HOA.

Can someone please provide information regarding the monthly or annual cost of an HOA in the Boise/Meridian/Eagle communities? I'm searching house prices between $150,000 - $225,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 01:57 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
They vary a lot. You could have anything from $0 to $800/year for a normal subdivision. If the subdivision takes care of yard maintenance and snow removal, it could be even more, but that is pretty rare unless you buy a townhouse or condo.

I think average, for an average subdivision, is going to be around the $250-$350/year.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:34 AM

Thanks for the information. Where would I get the best bang for my buck?

Boise vs. Meridian vs. Eagle vs. Star for homes ranging from $150k - $225k?

Old 07-26-2011, 11:16 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
I don't think that is really an answerable question. It doesn't really vary so much from area to area, but rather from subdivision to subdivision. I would just make it part of your search criteria when having an agent search MLS. If it is important that your dues be under $300/year, then tell the agent that. Our MLS isn't actually searchable that way, but at least the agent could manually eliminate the listings that have dues that are too high.

I know of subdivisions, all in West or Southwest Boise, within a couple of miles of each other. For single family, one of which has dues of $40/year, and one has dues of $700/year. For townhouses, one of which has dues of $150/year, one of which has dues of $600/year. All of these would be on homes in the price range you gave.

In general, older subdivisions are going to have lower or even no dues. Of the cities you listed, Eagle probably has the highest dues overall, because a lot of subs have a lot of nice landscaping that has to be maintained. But that doesn't mean that there aren't subs in Eagle with lower or no dues.

Disclaimer: I am not an agent, I just work in a real estate office at a desk. So this really is just my experience as a long time Boise resident, with a small amount of inside knowledge.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:30 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,495,356 times
There are many many areas without HOAs at all. Ergo, no fees. I believe the Boise Bench and the North End are pretty HOA-free. Not sure about other areas.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:29 AM

My current HOA costs $80/month = $960.00 annually. This cost includes basic cable only. I've never gotten a straight answer from my HOA company regarding what the costs cover. There is not a subdivision pool, tennis courts, basketball courts, etc...and I have to cut my own lawn. There have been numerous lawsuits filed against HOA's here in S. Florida because some HOA's are self proclaimed superior courts and have actually kicked people out of homes and locked their doors because of a flag pole or having multiple inside pets. Some people have fought the HOA's and won but that's few and far between.

I hope to be visiting Boise within the next couple months so I'll see which area(s) I like best.

Thanks for the information.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:39 AM

3 posts, read 7,732 times
There are properties in areas with monthly HOA fees near $80. We just bought a condo in Boise with a $45/month HOA fee, but we looked at places with HOA fees that ranged from $30 to $195. Different amenities, services, and inclusions...each one will be on a case by case basis. My recommendation is to contact a good real estate agent who will start pushing you listings -- all the HOA fees are listed, and the agent can find out what the fee includes and excludes. If you want a referral, I recommend Kelly Exline at Prudential Jensen Real Estate in Boise. We bought from out of town and she was very responsive and flexible.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:26 AM

424 posts, read 1,379,507 times
As mentioned above HOAs vary quite a bit. My parents have one that is $800 a year but that includes community pool, club house, weight room, tennis courts, irrigation water and sprinkler blowouts. As mentioned above on average they are between $250-$300 a year. As for where to get the best bang for you buck, well the farther and more remote you get, the more house/property you get for your money. Of course if you use that argument you might as well look out in places like Marsing. The thing you really need to ask yourself is how important certain ammenities are to you (ie proximity to shopping, airport, freeway, keep in mind interstate 84 is really the only major commuter route in the area, parks with shady trees).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: