Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 11:11 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,896,221 times

Advertisements

Meridian is getting a new organic grocer, Rosauers Market and Huckleberry's Natural Food Store, and this one is headquartered in Spokane with locations in the NW, so can be considered "somewhat local". I have shopped at TJ's and really don't see the allure. If anything the valley would be better off if Boise Co-op decided to open a second location in Eagle. There is also Brown Box Organics on 36th and Hill and as mentioned previously numerous famers market stands and small stores that sell local organic produce around the valley. TJ's would just be clutter.

Huckleberry's Natural Market
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 01:43 PM

879 posts, read 2,857,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Meridian is getting a new organic grocer, Rosauers Market and Huckleberry's Natural Food Store, and this one is headquartered in Spokane with locations in the NW, so can be considered "somewhat local". I have shopped at TJ's and really don't see the allure. If anything the valley would be better off if Boise Co-op decided to open a second location in Eagle. There is also Brown Box Organics on 36th and Hill and as mentioned previously numerous famers market stands and small stores that sell local organic produce around the valley. TJ's would just be clutter.

Huckleberry's Natural Market
Trader Joe's really isn't like any of these stores so I don't understand why it is always compared. It is more of an alternative to a classic grocery store than a health food store or organic grocer. Their stores are compact (and often uncomfortably crowded) and although the theme of the store is local I don't think much of what they sell is necessarily local. There really isn't a huge emphasis on organic either. At least here in California.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:16 AM

3 posts, read 8,600 times
Brown Box. I'm grateful they come out here to Caldwell. The city has grown so big, so fast ...

We don't have a co-op, or a whole foods. We could use both, but I still vote yes to a TJ store so long as they won't ship. There are a few things they carry that I can't get on the internet. One more chain store on 10th street isn't going to take away from the appeal that doesn't exist. Plenty of stores stand empty with for sale signs

So, I'll be grateful if they come out here. We could use some of life help to bring our city back from the dead.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,973 times
Default I want a TJ's in Eagle!

I would love to have a Trader Joe's in downtown Eagle where I could walk to. I think it would do great here! I miss shopping there. I was surprised that there wasn't one here already when I moved here a year ago.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:31 PM

10 posts, read 31,077 times
So during my last visit to TJ's in SoCal, I was told by several different employees that TJ's should be making an appearance in the Boise area by summer 2013. They are opening a huge distribution center in Texas and plan on opening up a bunch of new stores

Old 07-16-2012, 11:40 AM

6 posts, read 91,327 times
Having lived in Portland, Santa Monica and then in Boise, the main thing I missed while living recently in Boise was Trader Joe's (and IKEA). Right now I am in the DC area temporarily (I hope) and there ARE some Trader Joe's within 10-20 miles of where I am living, but when Boise gets a Trader Joe's I will want to come back to Boise even more than I do now. It is so hot and humid in the summer in the Eastern USA. I miss the sunshine and dry weather in Boise and of course my family members that are there!
Not to mention the friendliness of almost all of the people who live in Boise.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:24 PM

229 posts, read 706,813 times
I had a woman "in the know" (via her husband's business) mention to me that it's pretty much a done deal for them to move into the big complex being built at Eagle & Fairview. I have no reason to doubt her. I think I mentioned way back on this thread that I briefly talked to a TJ's rep on a flight into Boise who had an office in Eagle and who was trying to help engineer an Eagle location. That seems to have fallen by the wayside. But it convinced me that the arrival of a TJ's store was not a matter of "if" but "when."

Normally TJ's would deny the opening of any new stores unless it was within their two-year plan, meaning they don't foresee the opening of the store within two years. But it seems like the one opening up in Salt Lake City was on the fast track. The opening there was announced in early June, and it's slated to open in the fourth quarter of this year. So I don't know what to think anymore. I don't know when that project at Eagle/Fairview is supposed to be fully completed though I'm aware that some businesses will be open by the end of summer.

Proximity to a distribution center was a primary obstacle. Perhaps SLC will have both a store and distribution center?

Old 07-16-2012, 04:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,444 times
I would love to see them open in Boise!

Old 07-16-2012, 10:31 PM

115 posts, read 364,101 times
I love Trader Joe's and would love to have one out there when I move. I was reading an article two weeks back about the cult like following it has wherever it goes.
People will visit one when they're on vacation just to go back home and petition to get one in their neighborhood. It is one of the top chains with the best reputation. WTBS. I kind of love that store.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:45 PM

239 posts, read 617,788 times
Default Yes yes and hell yes!

I would love to see TJ's come to Boise. I miss them! Awesome prepared food, fantastic produce....just a great store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area