Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2022, 10:53 AM

133 posts, read 289,728 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised that I haven't seen a seperate post on this, but Micron will rapidly expand in Boise due to the CHIPS money to the tune of $15B. Don't expect traffic or housing to ease up anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2022, 04:15 PM

344 posts, read 144,895 times
Ive been here 7 years. I love it here but you must have cash, otherwise it would suck here.

Old 09-23-2022, 05:37 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times
It's happening in other places across the country. It's happening in Salt Lake City, Nashville, Huntsville, Austin, alot of places are getting expensive as more people want to move there. I relocated to another city right around the time home prices started rising.

Old 09-23-2022, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaEnd View Post
Ive been here 7 years. I love it here but you must have cash, otherwise it would suck here.
This is now the case in other places that were affordable 5 years ago. It's getting to where people are moving wherever they can. Many places remain cheaper because....
1) Horrible economy and high crime.
2) Some people consider the scenery boring.
3) Climate isn't attracting to some.

Old 09-23-2022, 06:10 PM

383 posts, read 181,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folkguitarist555 View Post
It’s despicable and I still blame Californians. So does everybody else.

I wonder how many of those "Californians" are even originally from California?

Old 09-23-2022, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
I've read that Idaho has the dubious distinction of leading the nation in population growth over the past several years.

An acquaintance of mine recently sold their home in Utah and plans to purchase a new place in...you guessed it! (Don't think Boise area though. Perhaps.)
Utah is also one of the fastest growing states. Texas, Arizona, and Nevada too.

Old 09-24-2022, 10:02 AM

1,071 posts, read 791,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perennial millennial View Post
I wonder how many of those "Californians" are even originally from California?
Yep, I have a number of friends "from" California who are actually originally from other places, mostly the Midwest and South. But most of the people I know are from an assortment of other states: OR, WA, UT, MT, CO, NV, TX, NY, IN, ... really too many to list. Folks from all over the country are moving here.

People move for lots of reasons: jobs, family, lifestyle, quality of life, affordability, etc. If the xenophobes hating on those moving here ever need to relocate, I sincerely hope their new neighbors are more welcoming than they've been to others.

Old 09-24-2022, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post
Yep, I have a number of friends "from" California who are actually originally from other places, mostly the Midwest and South. But most of the people I know are from an assortment of other states: OR, WA, UT, MT, CO, NV, TX, NY, IN, ... really too many to list. Folks from all over the country are moving here.

People move for lots of reasons: jobs, family, lifestyle, quality of life, affordability, etc. If the xenophobes hating on those moving here ever need to relocate, I sincerely hope their new neighbors are more welcoming than they've been to others.
There was a time when alot of people moved to California. Alot of people from the Great Plains moved to California. One of those who did was the late California Angels manager (and Roy Smalley III's uncle) Gene Mauch. He was born in Kansas, moved to California. Another Kansan-turned Californian was the great pitching phenom Walter Johnson.

Many Oklahomans moved to California during the Dust Bowl. Many found themselves the object of ridicule by established Californians. Country singer Merle Haggard was born in Oildale, CA (near Bakersfield) to parents who left Oklahoma during the Great Depression. In fact, California has its own flavor of country music, the Bakersfield sound. That was inluenced by migrants from Oklahoma.

Part of the Great Migration included African-Americans moving to California from places like Texas and Louisiana. Famous people from that migration include MLB players such as Frank Robinson and Joe Morgan. They were born. In Texas and moved to Oakland,CA during the 1940s and 50s. Some members of the original Black Panther Party (founded in Oakland in 1966) were Black people who migrated from Texas and Louisiana.

Interestingly, many Blacks who moved to California not only got ridiculed by some Whites, some of the established Black Californians didn't like Black migrants from the South/Texas.

Old 09-24-2022, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post

2nd reply.

I read a National Geographic article about Idaho many years ago. It was published in 1973. One thing the article touched upon were Californians who moved to Idaho during the late 1960s/early 1970s and then complained about newcomers coming to the state. Newcomers complaining about other newcomers.

Old 09-24-2022, 12:23 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
2nd reply.

I read a National Geographic article about Idaho many years ago. It was published in 1973. One thing the article touched upon were Californians who moved to Idaho during the late 1960s/early 1970s and then complained about newcomers coming to the state. Newcomers complaining about other newcomers.
Yup.
I was away from Idaho for 4 years while I served in the Navy.
When I returned in 1969, this is exactly what I saw.
Shortly after I came back, I road-tripped up to Moscow to see some of my old friends again. That was when I first noticed how many Californians had moved here.

The trip covered most of the state, as I was living in Idaho Falls, and my car still had Virginia license plates on it. Natives seldom said anything about the plates, but the ex-Californians always made a point out of talking about themselves and their move here when they noticed the plates. They tended to shut up once they learned only my car was Virginian and I was a native.

It was strange. The Californians always wanted to talk about themselves, and never asked me any questions about Virginia.
Idahoans would ask once in a while about what Virginia was like, but once they knew I was from Idaho and just out of the Navy, they would ask if I ever saw So-in-so (usually a family member) while I was in.

Last edited by banjomike; 09-24-2022 at 12:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: