Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2021, 02:13 PM

51 posts, read 71,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJGittes65 View Post
I just spent a week visiting Boise. We stayed in the North End and made of point of looking around.

The good:
The North End is very walkable. It is close to downtown Boise, which is fantastic these days. Great restaurants and a clean friendly vibe. The 13th street area in the North End has some good restaurants and cute shops too. There are many nicely re-done homes and cottages in the north end, and the trees are fantastic.

Not so good:
Real estate in the north end is very expensive. Perhaps not San Francisco expensive, but by almost any other measure, it is pricey. There are still many properties that have not been renovated, and are not particularly well kept. There are also many multi-family units and converted older homes that appear to likely have high turnover of renters, and certainly have many cars associated with them. We also drove up and down some alleys and saw a fair amount of trashy scenes. (dumped old furniture sitting out in the rain/snow and assorted other junk, rotted fencing, and plenty of "project" vehicles sitting around.) I suspect there is a lot of unpermitted conversions in the north end too. It made us wonder whether there is any code compliance done by the city. In many instances it was well beyond just the quirky nature of the area. Boise city could do a better job on this, I think.

Regarding politics, we never had a negative interaction of any kind, with anyone, anywhere, in Boise. The north end does have a very noticeable leftward tilt. There was a lot of virtue signaling in the form of cardboard yard signs proclaiming "no human is illegal", and many rainbow flags on homes. On some streets, the rainbow flags clearly outnumbered the American flags. The customers in the Co-op in the north end were noticeably more 'hippy' than say the customers at the Whole Food on the east side of downtown or other stores. But we had good shopping experiences at both stores.

All in all, I could enjoy living in the North End (or east side) due to its walkability and proximity to downtown (we are over the suburb scene -- although Eagle is nice for that), but I would have to closely examine the street/neighbors. It'd truly be a street by street decision. Many of the homes have also not been renovated, or have been p0orly renovated over the years, so it is a given that a good inspection would be very important.

My 2 cents. Good luck.
I live in the North End, and think this is pretty accurate. Weird time of transition now for the neighborhood - new people/money/equity flooding in, mixing with a very old and historic neighborhood. I have never seen so much residential construction/renovation going on, it is amazing. There are many properties that are in dire need of renovation and, in many cases, a complete demo and rebuild. As a property owner, this is fine by me as it bolsters value and general upkeep of the neighborhood. The proximity to downtown is great. We rented several places in the NE before we bought, and all had what I refer to as, "North End funk". Old houses with minimal or poorly-executed DIY "renovations" make interesting rentals. The virtue signaling in the NE is a solid 8/10, it's sort of over-the-top nauseating IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2021, 12:59 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,673,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAGringo View Post
The virtue signaling in the NE is a solid 8/10, it's sort of over-the-top nauseating IMO.
Thank heavens a North Ender said it.

I love going to Goodies and the toy store. The historic homes are just lovely. But the North End page is full of self sanctimony that I think I'm becoming bulimic from eating before reading.

Old 02-09-2021, 08:36 AM

347 posts, read 402,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by courreed View Post
We don't want to deal with that again, lack of Halloween, and so forth.
bro - the NE has the best Halloween in the valley LOL

Old 02-11-2021, 04:07 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,053,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
Thank heavens a North Ender said it.

I love going to Goodies and the toy store. The historic homes are just lovely. But the North End page is full of self sanctimony that I think I'm becoming bulimic from eating before reading.

I just have to ask then, why go?

This whole thread baffles me???

The state of Idaho has five places that qualify as "liberal" or "somewhat liberal" --- just five! That's it.

1.) Boise's North End
2.) Downtown Coeur d'Alene between I-90 and the lake
3.) Sun Valley / Hailey / Ketchum
4.) Moscow by the university
5.) Sandpoint at the very center of town

Outside of these four lightly blue-ish small areas, the state is crimson red!

Old 02-11-2021, 07:15 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,673,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post

The state of Idaho has five places that qualify as "liberal" or "somewhat liberal" --- just five! That's it.

1.) Boise's North End

I don't anymore.

I don't mind liberal. In fact, I have liberal ideology within my own political realm. The North End, however, is a breed unto their own. And they are very intolerant of any belief system that steps outside their lines.

The same can said of some of the weirdos up north. I don't go to their page either.

It's funny how they are two sides of the same coin. Neither side sees it.

Old 02-12-2021, 10:30 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,363,323 times
Quote:

1.) Boise's North End

Pocatello has some liberal vibes because of the University.

Atlanta at the base of the Sawtooths is also liberal as it's a hippie and artist community.

The Northend, Eastend, Downtown and the University area are the most extreme liberal areas of Boise, but most of Boise city limits is Democratic and liberal except for the far flung city areas near Kuna and bordering Meridian.

Ada County is changing too. The last election shows an impressive narrowing gap between both party sides.

Old 02-12-2021, 10:48 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,363,323 times
Quote:
I don't anymore.

I don't mind liberal. In fact, I have liberal ideology within my own political realm. The North End, however, is a breed unto their own. And they are very intolerant of any belief system that steps outside their lines.

The same can said of some of the weirdos up north. I don't go to their page either.

That my friend is a trait the far right and conservatives embrace. It happens on both sides because our nation is so divided and there's division within our state.

Old 02-12-2021, 12:07 PM

6,355 posts, read 7,764,876 times
Quote:

1.) Boise's North End

You can add Teton County to the list. They went blue this past election.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 02-12-2021, 01:26 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,011,098 times
Quote:
I don't anymore.

Which weirdos up north?

Old 02-12-2021, 07:47 PM

289 posts, read 311,529 times
I can tell you from experience you can find almost as much political ideology from nearby neighborhoods like the Highlands and Garden City pockets. It's not exclusive to the North End although it's very concentrated there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area