Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2021, 03:33 PM

809 posts, read 1,330,335 times

Advertisements

Recently bought a home in a development that is 2 years old. Everytime it rains, the water from the neighbors house runs into my yard- we are unable to grow plants, (even grass)etc because of the runoff. I did speak with the builder. We were told it is because the neighbors chose not to have gutters installed, (which was an option), therefore the water drains into my yard. Previous owners were elderly, didn't worry about the yard. As soon as the weather started getting warmer we noticed this problem.

Any suggestions? We haven't discussed with the neighbors yet, but we will in the very near future. Looking for solutions that will make everyone happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2021, 06:40 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,471,522 times
Good approach.. to try to make it all good for everyone.

So is the case that the neighbors house and yard are all uphill from yours? If so, then if gutters with suitable drains on their lot may help but may not cure it all.. and they may not agree to spend their $$ for your sake.

At the lot line, you can have an undersurface drain installed (known as a French drain), to capture the water coming down the hill right at the lot line. Of course, there needs to be a lower spot to which that new drain line can take the water.

Old 06-11-2021, 07:42 PM

40 posts, read 38,451 times
Id second looking into a French drain. I’ve noticed people using irrigation water go crazy with it because it’s so cheap. My neighbor for example lol

Old 06-11-2021, 11:15 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times
I have same problem with neighbor behind me and higher above me. Except the water is coming through the paver stone retaining wall and not draining into the french drains that are below the paver stone retaining wall. It is coming from their sprinkler system.

I will have to go over there again and inform them for the 3rd time over a period of a few years.

Old 06-12-2021, 07:37 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
It has nothing to do with your neighbor's gutter system. It's because your house is lower than theirs, and possibly because the developer didn't grade the lots properly. Although there isn't much the developer can do about the fact that water runs downhill.

You can put in a drain system to run the water past your yard, but there must be a lower spot to drain it to.

Old 06-12-2021, 11:20 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
A good landscaper might be of help.

That runoff could be a valuable resource for you. Terracing or something might be able to control it so the water can be used on your own greenery instead of just going down a French drain and lost.

Old 06-13-2021, 04:17 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post

That runoff could be a valuable resource for you. Terracing or something might be able to control it so the water can be used on your own greenery instead of just going down a French drain and lost.
Exactly what I was thinking.
But he told me it is from leaving on their sprinklers too long over the years so it would probably be easier I make my annual visit again.

Old 06-14-2021, 04:48 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,362,007 times
Figure out how to harness that water and determine if you can use it for your benefit such as watering your garden or potted plants. Of course this is dependent on if the neighbor uses environmentally safe products on their property.

Old 06-14-2021, 09:06 PM

231 posts, read 250,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post

I like this idea. Lemonade from lemons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area