Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2022, 08:24 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,900,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
A minor correction:
It's Middleton, not Middletown. If you were to ask where Middletown was once in Boise, it would cause confusion.

Middletown is the last in a string of once-small towns close to Boise on Hwy.44. It's only a few miles away from Star, and I fully expect it would be the next hot expansion area. Eagle is the last town in that line and has already been absorbed into Metro Boise. Star is will along the way. The metro can easily spread along 44, as most of the land is agricultural.

I wouldn't take Idaho's conservatism as a prime motive to move here myself; Idaho is growing so fast in that area now that the politics is bound to change, but I sure wouldn't predict what the changes will be. It's possible a shift could happen. And liberal or conservative, Idahoans all tend toward libertarian views that color their politics. That libertarianism tends to blur conventional political lines in all directions.

But, once again, our explosive growth could change that too. I expect some big changes in almost everything I once took for granted here, and I have no idea on how fast or slow those changes will come.
That entire stretch of Highway 44 is in the Boise Metropolitan Area and is building out fast. Of course we know about Eagle, but Star is nothing like it was just 5 years ago and the infill is spreading quickly along the highway to Middleton. The area between Eagle and Star is going insane with new construction. I think you would be surprised if you came over to this side of the state and visited some of these areas that are so different than they were 5, 10, or more years ago.

I also see the news articles assuming what political slant the new residents bring with them and I don't think it's entirely accurate unless said news were to interview everyone moving in. They only take polls of a certain amount of people to come up with their assumptions. Boise is blue/liberal and becomes more so as the years pass by. Ada County is shifting as well as other pockets around the state. There have always been blue pockets around Idaho, it's nothing rare. Some areas of the state attract the conservative types and that seems to be mainly North and East Idaho.

If someone is worried about this then it's probably best to move to a rural area of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2022, 08:26 AM

2 posts, read 2,616 times
It is definitely Middleton (a ton of middles), not Middletown. Middleton, for some reason, now has most homes priced at $500,000. As my father says, "Nothing in that area is worth half a million dollars." So don't be surprised if you pay half a mil and find yourself in surroundings that should only cost the price of a value meal on Good Friday.

Meridian is basically now just a giant shopping center. High traffic and lots of shopping. Meridian is where Boiseans go when a local business needs to send them to an office in Meridian or to shop at businesses that aren't in Boise, like Kohl's or H&M (if those are still there). I think Boise has the only Whole Foods, however. Other than Edwards 21 in Boise most movie theatres are shutting down so Meridian or Nampa are good places to go for that. If you're into roller skating, Nampa has the only indoor skating rink and if you're into ice skating Boise has the only indoor skating facility. Meridian now just feels like the over-spilling of where Boise city limits end and Eagle starts getting noticed. They all used to be fairly separate cities.

And, please, be cautious on Eagle Rd. A woman recently died while trying to turn into a gas station from Eagle Rd. No one should ever have to die just trying to perform basic errands.

When it comes to the California plates, yeah, you can pretty much guarantee the locals in the car ahead or behind you are saying, "Heh, California plates. No wonder they didn't come to a full and complete stop at that stop sign/no wonder they didn't even slow down for that right turn/no wonder they are speeding/no wonder they are weaving in and out of traffic trying to race to the next red light/no wonder they are tailgating (Boiseans are famous for tailgating, however)." There's not much other "hate" I've seen other than being passive-aggressive in the safety and comfort of our own plastic road-cages on wheels. There was a recent stint of "Go Home Californians" graffitied along the Greenbelt and in town for a couple summers. Now, those vandals can't likely afford spray paint with the quick rise of rents relative to local wages. Vandals have found a way to spray paint swastikas at the Anne Frank Memorial in Boise—multiple times—however, so I could be completely off base.

On a personal note, I have noticed an increase of Audi's out on the road and most all of them drive like maniacs. Boiseans never really drove Audi's so I can only assume most of them currently on the road right now are from California, regardless of plates. That, and the lifted pickups who try to coal burn. Idaho locals use pickups to actually haul or carry things, not to show off dick size, generally.

Most Boise/Meridian locals don't like Californians—not for their political views—but for their presence being part of the insane rise in rents and housing in such a short amount of time. We know it's not an individual family moving in that's causing the problems, it's tens of thousands of them moving in all at once—along with investors buying up a bunch of single family homes specifically to rent them out, which takes those homes off the market for families to purchase. It is rural Idaho that is fearful of liberal Californians trying to take over the state—which seems baseless to me since, maybe, during a "controversial" election, only 4 counties will vote blue out of all 44, as we saw with the last Governor election between Jordan and Little.

It would probably be wise to familiarize yourself with Mormon culture. I don't mean go out and join your neighborhood's ward (unless you're already LDS) but become familiar with Mormon culture because you will be surrounded by it. I've had many Mormon friends growing up here, and they are wonderful people, they just fall into that tribal-type mentality; if you aren't one of them you will be seen as "lesser than" regardless of how nice they are to you—and they are very, very nice people. Boise and Meridian are less about political views and more about religious views. They are also communities where it's safe not to be believers or not believe "in the correct way". No one in town will yell at you that you are "going to hell" for doing something they don't approve of, like the rural towns in Idaho do, such as smoking or wearing clothes they don't feel are modest enough (yoga pants are acceptable here). Most people do exactly what you stated in your original post: "the majority of people just keep to themselves, even in the workforce, and no one even really knows their neighbors or smiles and says hello." We used to be known for smiling and acknowledging each other but I feel that has gone away in the past few years. We are not small town US, where every neighbor looks out for each other and knows everyone's business. I only know one of my neighbor's names because he ordered all his furniture online when he moved in. I was curious and checked the name on the box when it was in front of his doorstep. I only ever see him when he goes to and from his car to go do whatever. My upstairs neighbor introduced himself but I have no idea who his fiancé is. The other upstairs neighbor has two ginger cats and doesn't own a car. That's all I know about my neighbors. Take that for what you will.

If you are looking to move to Meridian because of your political views just keep in mind that Idaho's Republican values may not line up with your own, or they may—which, in that case, great, you found the right spot. Idaho's Republican values are pretty much for the sole benefit of small, rural religious communities—Idaho policies do not like the Boise Metro Area—which includes pretty much all of Ada and Canyon County. The current governor is working on legislation that will get rid of property tax for home owners (yay!) but not for people who own rental homes (boo!) which is going to end up putting the burden of property taxes on renters. So, if you move here and have enough cash on hand to pay around $50,000 over the asking price for a house, buy it, don't rent until you can find a place. Renters are on extremely shaky ground right now.

Our current legislation also has some questionable members in it, and questionable people trying to get in it. If you are looking for a moderate conservative area, Idaho is not it—we used to be moderate conservatives, not so much anymore. We have a Lt. Governor who is trying to fine and jail librarians for allowing minors to check out "questionable" content from the library, but won't give a legal definition for what "questionable" means. We also have someone who is trying to become governor who is from a long-standing Mormon-offshoot (created their own brand of Mormonism) family with cattle rancher ties to Nevada. Sounds okay, right? Turns out they, through their religion, chose how to interpret The Constitution and decided to stop paying cattle rancher fees for grazing on public lands and started multiple shoot-outs between them and the government in Nevada and Oregon. One of the sons is running for Governor in Idaho, originally on the Republican ticket but recently changed to Independent.

Like I said, familiarize yourself with Mormon culture. Idaho's history is full of Aryan Nation and Mormon history which makes up a lot of its current-day values. Not all, of course, but a lot.

Edit: Grammar

Old 03-20-2022, 12:14 AM

5,585 posts, read 5,015,250 times
Prices for newer homes in Meridian/Boise are just too expensive now.

Old 04-08-2022, 08:50 PM

2 posts, read 1,740 times
Default Thank you for this

Quote:
Originally Posted by krivan View Post
It is definitely Middleton (a ton of middles), not Middletown. Middleton, for some reason, now has most homes priced at $500,000. As my father says, "Nothing in that area is worth half a million dollars." So don't be surprised if you pay half a mil and find yourself in surroundings that should only cost the price of a value meal on Good Friday.

Meridian is basically now just a giant shopping center. High traffic and lots of shopping. Meridian is where Boiseans go when a local business needs to send them to an office in Meridian or to shop at businesses that aren't in Boise, like Kohl's or H&M (if those are still there). I think Boise has the only Whole Foods, however. Other than Edwards 21 in Boise most movie theatres are shutting down so Meridian or Nampa are good places to go for that. If you're into roller skating, Nampa has the only indoor skating rink and if you're into ice skating Boise has the only indoor skating facility. Meridian now just feels like the over-spilling of where Boise city limits end and Eagle starts getting noticed. They all used to be fairly separate cities.

And, please, be cautious on Eagle Rd. A woman recently died while trying to turn into a gas station from Eagle Rd. No one should ever have to die just trying to perform basic errands.

When it comes to the California plates, yeah, you can pretty much guarantee the locals in the car ahead or behind you are saying, "Heh, California plates. No wonder they didn't come to a full and complete stop at that stop sign/no wonder they didn't even slow down for that right turn/no wonder they are speeding/no wonder they are weaving in and out of traffic trying to race to the next red light/no wonder they are tailgating (Boiseans are famous for tailgating, however)." There's not much other "hate" I've seen other than being passive-aggressive in the safety and comfort of our own plastic road-cages on wheels. There was a recent stint of "Go Home Californians" graffitied along the Greenbelt and in town for a couple summers. Now, those vandals can't likely afford spray paint with the quick rise of rents relative to local wages. Vandals have found a way to spray paint swastikas at the Anne Frank Memorial in Boise—multiple times—however, so I could be completely off base.

On a personal note, I have noticed an increase of Audi's out on the road and most all of them drive like maniacs. Boiseans never really drove Audi's so I can only assume most of them currently on the road right now are from California, regardless of plates. That, and the lifted pickups who try to coal burn. Idaho locals use pickups to actually haul or carry things, not to show off dick size, generally.

Most Boise/Meridian locals don't like Californians—not for their political views—but for their presence being part of the insane rise in rents and housing in such a short amount of time. We know it's not an individual family moving in that's causing the problems, it's tens of thousands of them moving in all at once—along with investors buying up a bunch of single family homes specifically to rent them out, which takes those homes off the market for families to purchase. It is rural Idaho that is fearful of liberal Californians trying to take over the state—which seems baseless to me since, maybe, during a "controversial" election, only 4 counties will vote blue out of all 44, as we saw with the last Governor election between Jordan and Little.

It would probably be wise to familiarize yourself with Mormon culture. I don't mean go out and join your neighborhood's ward (unless you're already LDS) but become familiar with Mormon culture because you will be surrounded by it. I've had many Mormon friends growing up here, and they are wonderful people, they just fall into that tribal-type mentality; if you aren't one of them you will be seen as "lesser than" regardless of how nice they are to you—and they are very, very nice people. Boise and Meridian are less about political views and more about religious views. They are also communities where it's safe not to be believers or not believe "in the correct way". No one in town will yell at you that you are "going to hell" for doing something they don't approve of, like the rural towns in Idaho do, such as smoking or wearing clothes they don't feel are modest enough (yoga pants are acceptable here). Most people do exactly what you stated in your original post: "the majority of people just keep to themselves, even in the workforce, and no one even really knows their neighbors or smiles and says hello." We used to be known for smiling and acknowledging each other but I feel that has gone away in the past few years. We are not small town US, where every neighbor looks out for each other and knows everyone's business. I only know one of my neighbor's names because he ordered all his furniture online when he moved in. I was curious and checked the name on the box when it was in front of his doorstep. I only ever see him when he goes to and from his car to go do whatever. My upstairs neighbor introduced himself but I have no idea who his fiancé is. The other upstairs neighbor has two ginger cats and doesn't own a car. That's all I know about my neighbors. Take that for what you will.

If you are looking to move to Meridian because of your political views just keep in mind that Idaho's Republican values may not line up with your own, or they may—which, in that case, great, you found the right spot. Idaho's Republican values are pretty much for the sole benefit of small, rural religious communities—Idaho policies do not like the Boise Metro Area—which includes pretty much all of Ada and Canyon County. The current governor is working on legislation that will get rid of property tax for home owners (yay!) but not for people who own rental homes (boo!) which is going to end up putting the burden of property taxes on renters. So, if you move here and have enough cash on hand to pay around $50,000 over the asking price for a house, buy it, don't rent until you can find a place. Renters are on extremely shaky ground right now.

Our current legislation also has some questionable members in it, and questionable people trying to get in it. If you are looking for a moderate conservative area, Idaho is not it—we used to be moderate conservatives, not so much anymore. We have a Lt. Governor who is trying to fine and jail librarians for allowing minors to check out "questionable" content from the library, but won't give a legal definition for what "questionable" means. We also have someone who is trying to become governor who is from a long-standing Mormon-offshoot (created their own brand of Mormonism) family with cattle rancher ties to Nevada. Sounds okay, right? Turns out they, through their religion, chose how to interpret The Constitution and decided to stop paying cattle rancher fees for grazing on public lands and started multiple shoot-outs between them and the government in Nevada and Oregon. One of the sons is running for Governor in Idaho, originally on the Republican ticket but recently changed to Independent.

Like I said, familiarize yourself with Mormon culture. Idaho's history is full of Aryan Nation and Mormon history which makes up a lot of its current-day values. Not all, of course, but a lot.

Edit: Grammar
Like so many, we are considering moving to the area. Right now, it is between the Tri-Cities area in WA, Las Vegas, and Treasure Valley. We would be coming from Hawaii, moving primarily because of my 92 year old mother wants to be on the mainland. My wife is Thai, and one of the things I've wondered is whether there are racial overtones... I suspect not, but it is just something I've thought about. We are NOT religious which brings me to LDS as I have read in various posts (not many) about some areas (like Meridian) not being all that friendly if you are not a member of the church. I'm retired, she is still working (or wants to work), so employment is also something to think about as well as educational opportunities for her.

My nephew has lived in Boise, now Nampa, and really encourages us to move there. I kind of wish we would have made a move 10 years ago, but that is water under the bridge.

Anyway, thanks for your thorough write up. I'm still on the fence about moving there, we don't vote party line, don't judge people by their affiliation, just want a place where we can live and let live. Well, that and a place where I can have a veggie garden and fish a lot!

Old 04-08-2022, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Dobo View Post
Like so many, we are considering moving to the area. Right now, it is between the Tri-Cities area in WA, Las Vegas, and Treasure Valley. We would be coming from Hawaii, moving primarily because of my 92 year old mother wants to be on the mainland. My wife is Thai, and one of the things I've wondered is whether there are racial overtones... I suspect not, but it is just something I've thought about. We are NOT religious which brings me to LDS as I have read in various posts (not many) about some areas (like Meridian) not being all that friendly if you are not a member of the church. I'm retired, she is still working (or wants to work), so employment is also something to think about as well as educational opportunities for her.

My nephew has lived in Boise, now Nampa, and really encourages us to move there. I kind of wish we would have made a move 10 years ago, but that is water under the bridge.

Anyway, thanks for your thorough write up. I'm still on the fence about moving there, we don't vote party line, don't judge people by their affiliation, just want a place where we can live and let live. Well, that and a place where I can have a veggie garden and fish a lot!
Idaho

Old 04-10-2022, 10:52 AM

820 posts, read 1,068,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Dobo View Post
We are NOT religious which brings me to LDS as I have read in various posts (not many) about some areas (like Meridian) not being all that friendly if you are not a member of the church.
I would take the comments regarding not being friendly to non-LDS members with a skepticism. If you try to discuss any religion with someone with a different religion it may be like oil and water. However, I am not LDS but over half of my really good friends are. They all know that I drink my share of alcohol but they don't hold that against me. They just won't typically join me at a brewery, winery or bar. When I go out to socialize with those friends, we go skiing, fishing, hunting, hiking instead. Hope this helps.

Old 04-10-2022, 04:34 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,783,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoBroker View Post
I would take the comments regarding not being friendly to non-LDS members with a skepticism. If you try to discuss any religion with someone with a different religion it may be like oil and water. However, I am not LDS but over half of my really good friends are. They all know that I drink my share of alcohol but they don't hold that against me. They just won't typically join me at a brewery, winery or bar. When I go out to socialize with those friends, we go skiing, fishing, hunting, hiking instead. Hope this helps.
I have friends and family there and have for decades and the LDS has never been an issue at all. Generally friendly and helpful people. Most issues come from those who push them about their beliefs. Oh, I am not an LDS at all.

Old 05-31-2022, 03:52 PM

65 posts, read 119,702 times
Which suburban area of Boise is most conservative and most liberal?

Old 05-31-2022, 05:50 PM

So true $500,000+ now
"Nothing in that area is worth half a million dollars. Yes so true...."

Old 06-01-2022, 03:47 PM

820 posts, read 1,068,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rschlegel View Post
Which suburban area of Boise is most conservative and most liberal?
I believe the north end of Boise qualifies as the most liberal population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area