Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2021, 07:54 PM

2 posts, read 4,917 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone

I hope everyone is doing well out there. My husband and I are possibly thinking of relocating within the next year to Meridian with our family. Well, we have been looking into both Meridian/Boise area and also Nashville, since we feel our interests, love of culture, and outdoorsy personality has drawn us to both. A little background info - our family consists of our 13-year-old daughter, our 2 dogs and cat. While my husband and I were raised in California, our more conservative/republican views have driven us out of California several years ago and we found ourselves living in Texas for a year and then finally in Arizona for the last 3 years. We have soon realized that Phoenix and surrounding towns (while some great areas exist) isn't for us, as we enjoy a lively but family-oriented culture, courteous or at least pleasant/friendly people. Being in Arizona the last few years we have noticed that the majority of people just keep to themselves, even in the workforce, and no one even really knows their neighbors or smiles and says hello.

My husband has been lucky to speak to a few Meridian/Boise natives in passing about the Meridian area and they have had nothing but fantastic things to say about the idea. I'm just looking for the pros and cons of living there with a family. I've heard that Idaho prides itself of being the anti-California, which we love, but we are just wanting to understand the overall vibe day in and day out, shopping areas, etc. What are some of the negatives you have noticed or things that you don't like about the city and neighboring areas? Any gripes with the public school system that are more or less out of the ordinary? I've heard from another that since there isn't much to do, that this is a common reason why a "alcohol/drug" problem exists.

I appreciate any feedback. We don't plan to move there blind, but there's only so much research and/or visiting you can do before you take the plunge. Thank you!!

Deniece
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2021, 08:08 AM

1,255 posts, read 1,108,526 times
We live down the road an hour in Mountain Home, but were in Meridian yesterday for a change of pace bit of shopping. No one will likely notice or interact with you while shopping or dining out, etc. in the area. Enough people, and I mean very many people, have relocated to the Boise area, so most people don't care where you came from, but do care how you act in public. People still expect a kind word of thanks for holding a door, letting a person with one item ahead of their full shopping cart, a thank you and have a nice day from the clerk, cashier, waitress, etc. You'll most likely be in quiet suburbia with lots of traffic going everywhere. Meridian is quickly filling every vacant piece of land with houses, townhouses, apartments and businesses. Pretty much, if it isn't already a city park, it's being built on or planned for building.

In some ways it reminds me of Lancaster, CA. The in-laws lived near there for several years. Not as dirty and trashy, but the type of developments that are being built. Cookie cutter housing developments and townhomes. Here in Mountain Home there are two bigger housing developments going in. Both developers are coming in from California, so they really have that southern California look. Meridian does too. It is a very nice area. I would recommend it. If possible, find an older house on a bigger lot, vs. new construction if you can. I have no idea how the school system is doing as it tries to keep up with the population growth, so that's something to investigate too.

Old 12-14-2021, 08:40 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,900,306 times
Meridian is about 10 miles from downtown Boise.
As of 2020, Meridian had a population of 117,635 and is one of the 10 fastest growing cities in the nation.
https://www.ktvb.com/article/news/lo...1-c0ac8200af07

It's generally a nice town/suburban area of Boise. It has it's own smallish historic downtown which is growing with new developments, there are parks and a fancy shopping area called The Village.

https://www.thevillageatmeridian.com/

https://www.meridiandowntown.org/

The Meridian area is very family oriented but might not be as conservative as you assume. The highest ranked schools in the state are in Boise (Boise Independent District) and Meridian isn't bad either (West Ada District)

I wouldn't worry about the anti Cali thing, it's only an issue with the NIMBY's who like to perpetuate this and turn it into an "issue" for themselves. Most people don't care because so many people here are from.....California!

There is a lot to do in Meridian for families. The largest waterslide park in the Northwest is in Meridian, adjacent is a Wahooz, a family play place, city parks, a large and beautiful YMCA, etc. And of course, Boise is next door with all it offers. I've never heard of a drug/alcohol problem in Meridian, unless it exists amongst the stepford wives and such lol. Meridian most likely has a lot less of this than most other areas including the big cities. I would think Nashville has a much bigger problem with drugs/alcohol. The Boise/Meridian area is such an active area with outdoor pursuits, school activities, urban amenities, so if "someone" says there isn't much to do then they are generally a boring person.

https://www.wahoozfunzone.com/

https://www.roaringsprings.com/

Here's something new on the way for Meridian:
https://boisedev.com/news/2021/12/09...meridian-barn/

Old 12-14-2021, 05:27 PM

1,070 posts, read 789,860 times
Yeah, there's no drug/alcohol problem here to speak of. Not saying it doesn't exist, but in ~2 years of living here I haven't found a single drug needle or encountered any public drunkenness (both a weekly occurrence for us in CA)

Boise/Meridian/Eagle all kind of runs together as a single contiguous metro. It's a clean, safe city with a ton to do. I have no idea how someone can be bored here.

Boise city schools are great (I can't comment on Meridian). Our teachers are fantastic, the schools are well funded, and the kids are nice. IMO, my kids are receiving a much higher level of education here than CA. Not sure how it compares to Phoenix.

We really have no major complaints.

If you're looking for a small-town feel within reach of downtown Boise, you may also consider Hidden Springs, Avimor, or Kuna.

Old 12-14-2021, 05:57 PM

5,585 posts, read 5,015,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenieceReed1987 View Post
Hello everyone

I hope everyone is doing well out there. My husband and I are possibly thinking of relocating within the next year to Meridian with our family. Well, we have been looking into both Meridian/Boise area and also Nashville, since we feel our interests, love of culture, and outdoorsy personality has drawn us to both. A little background info - our family consists of our 13-year-old daughter, our 2 dogs and cat. While my husband and I were raised in California, our more conservative/republican views have driven us out of California several years ago and we found ourselves living in Texas for a year and then finally in Arizona for the last 3 years. We have soon realized that Phoenix and surrounding towns (while some great areas exist) isn't for us, as we enjoy a lively but family-oriented culture, courteous or at least pleasant/friendly people. Being in Arizona the last few years we have noticed that the majority of people just keep to themselves, even in the workforce, and no one even really knows their neighbors or smiles and says hello.

My husband has been lucky to speak to a few Meridian/Boise natives in passing about the Meridian area and they have had nothing but fantastic things to say about the idea. I'm just looking for the pros and cons of living there with a family. I've heard that Idaho prides itself of being the anti-California, which we love, but we are just wanting to understand the overall vibe day in and day out, shopping areas, etc. What are some of the negatives you have noticed or things that you don't like about the city and neighboring areas? Any gripes with the public school system that are more or less out of the ordinary? I've heard from another that since there isn't much to do, that this is a common reason why a "alcohol/drug" problem exists.

I appreciate any feedback. We don't plan to move there blind, but there's only so much research and/or visiting you can do before you take the plunge. Thank you!!

Deniece
You are in luck if you desire a new home. Lots of new homes in Meridian for sale. Wide price ranges from $400,000+. I get ads everyday on what is available.

Old 01-03-2022, 01:49 AM

9 posts, read 11,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenieceReed1987 View Post
My husband and I are possibly thinking of relocating within the next year to Meridian with our family. Well, we have been looking into both Meridian/Boise area and also Nashville, since we feel our interests, love of culture, and outdoorsy personality has drawn us to both.

While my husband and I were raised in California, our more conservative/republican views have driven us out of California several years ago and we found ourselves living in Texas for a year and then finally in Arizona for the last 3 years. I've heard that Idaho prides itself of being the anti-California, which we love.... I've heard from another that since there isn't much to do, that this is a common reason why a "alcohol/drug" problem exists.
Whoa! Wife and I are also looking at Nashville area and Boise as well, with Boise/Treasure Valley are being our top contender right now. We are currently working in conservative suburban county south of Denver, so we are getting by. Denver, however, has become a magnet area for California folks who are very very left. Denver city limits is now over 80% Democrat and these are ageing Hippies, drug users, and bums in general. Hipsters with trust funds. Things start to deteriorate, as dumb and incompetent politicians take office. You know the drill.

We are considering Middletown (which is tiny now, but I understand major growth preparations are coming), Caldwell, Kuna, and even Nampa. Open to any suggestions.

Drug problem in our country is now everywhere. Suburbs, downtown, small towns. I would not know where to get any drugs in my area because that is not my scene, yet I went to school with folks who were into drugs and I never was. It is all personal responsibility, I think. Even Nashville has a thriving drug scene and most traveling there or living in suburbs would not even know. Out in CO plains, it is a meth lab world now, especially Greeley (CO), the HQ of Mexican criminal cartels in the central part of the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
In some ways it reminds me of Lancaster, CA. The in-laws lived near there for several years. Not as dirty and trashy, but the type of developments that are being built. Cookie cutter housing developments and townhomes. Here in Mountain Home there are two bigger housing developments going in.
Cookie-cutter subdivisions are everywhere now, I think. Definitely the case in Central Florida and Denver metro area.

Sad to hear Meridian is shifting left or center-left. I am literally AFRAID of living in a blue county, because of shutdowns, bad prosecutors, and just stupid policies.

You see, when you hear "lots of people from California", you need to understand these words trigger FEAR.... because California is a wreck. Are these people seeking to transform Idaho into a new Portland? Or into a main-California?

Mountain Home is mostly military families, right? Is it more desert-climate there than Boise metro area/Treasure Valley?

How are major roads in Mountain Home in winter?

Old 01-03-2022, 06:24 PM

5,585 posts, read 5,015,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaybeMove2022 View Post
Whoa! Wife and I are also looking at Nashville area and Boise as well, with Boise/Treasure Valley are being our top contender right now. We are currently working in conservative suburban county south of Denver, so we are getting by. Denver, however, has become a magnet area for California folks who are very very left. Denver city limits is now over 80% Democrat and these are ageing Hippies, drug users, and bums in general. Hipsters with trust funds. Things start to deteriorate, as dumb and incompetent politicians take office. You know the drill.

We are considering Middletown (which is tiny now, but I understand major growth preparations are coming), Caldwell, Kuna, and even Nampa. Open to any suggestions.

Drug problem in our country is now everywhere. Suburbs, downtown, small towns. I would not know where to get any drugs in my area because that is not my scene, yet I went to school with folks who were into drugs and I never was. It is all personal responsibility, I think. Even Nashville has a thriving drug scene and most traveling there or living in suburbs would not even know. Out in CO plains, it is a meth lab world now, especially Greeley (CO), the HQ of Mexican criminal cartels in the central part of the country.

Cookie-cutter subdivisions are everywhere now, I think. Definitely the case in Central Florida and Denver metro area.

Sad to hear Meridian is shifting left or center-left. I am literally AFRAID of living in a blue county, because of shutdowns, bad prosecutors, and just stupid policies.

You see, when you hear "lots of people from California", you need to understand these words trigger FEAR.... because California is a wreck. Are these people seeking to transform Idaho into a new Portland? Or into a main-California?

Mountain Home is mostly military families, right? Is it more desert-climate there than Boise metro area/Treasure Valley?

Meridian is overpriced.

Old 01-04-2022, 11:59 AM

1,255 posts, read 1,108,526 times
Quote:

Mountain Home does have a military presence with the Air Force Base 10 miles out of town. But, due to housing prices and Boise folks spilling into Mountain Home, about a third of people working on base live in Boise and commute everyday. Mountain Home is a bit drier and doesn't have the Boise, or other, river running through town. Like all of southern Idaho water access is king. Boise has much more access to water than Mountain Home, so can grow easier. But, the whole area is desert. As more people move in, the more water is needed. The aquifer is going down quickly and lots of talk on what to do. The courts are likely going to make some controversial decisions in a few year since it is mostly ag businesses that have the senior water rights vs. housing developments.

The roads between Mountain Home and Boise are fine about 350 days a year. Snow or smoke can be a problem just a few times a year.

Old 01-04-2022, 04:26 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
A minor correction:
It's Middleton, not Middletown. If you were to ask where Middletown was once in Boise, it would cause confusion.

Middletown is the last in a string of once-small towns close to Boise on Hwy.44. It's only a few miles away from Star, and I fully expect it would be the next hot expansion area. Eagle is the last town in that line and has already been absorbed into Metro Boise. Star is will along the way. The metro can easily spread along 44, as most of the land is agricultural.

Mt. Home is in Elmore County, which border's Boise's Ada County. It's higher in elevation, and more exposed, as it's located on some foothills that lead into the nearby mountains. The Interstate is the primary connection to Boise, so once outside Mt. Home, the highway grows more congested steadily approaching Boise. But the traffic still travels much faster than in Denver.

It's colder there in the winters, and Mt. Home is always windy, much more so than Boise, which lies in a very low spot, a 'hole'. It's been an Air Force town for a very long time, and earlier, it was a little rail hub that served all the nearby ranches with it's stockyards. While no longer a cow town, it still retains some of that character, although it's far more Air Force than anything else now. While the base is outside of town, Mt. Home serves it.

I wouldn't take Idaho's conservatism as a prime motive to move here myself; Idaho is growing so fast in that area now that the politics is bound to change, but I sure wouldn't predict what the changes will be. It's possible a shift could happen. And liberal or conservative, Idahoans all tend toward libertarian views that color their politics. That libertarianism tends to blur conventional political lines in all directions.

But, once again, our explosive growth could change that too. I expect some big changes in almost everything I once took for granted here, and I have no idea on how fast or slow those changes will come.

Idaho is a good place to live, but not for everyone. I think it's good to take all the talk about Idaho with a grain of salt; you're more likely to hear more from the newcomers who like it here than from the ones who came and were unhappy afterward.

I'm an aging native with deep roots who has rambled around this state all my life. For me, Idaho's simply my home, my people, and my best place, even though it's full of rewards and disappointments. Just like any other state.

Living here must suit me, because I miss my Old Mother when I'm gone away from her too long.

Old 01-04-2022, 07:54 PM

269 posts, read 329,559 times
Quote:
Your fear is misplaced. As has been reported in the Idaho Statesman and the Post Register, there’s one thing California transplants should not get blame or credit for: Being Democrats — any more than Idahoans already are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area