Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2022, 12:16 PM

6 posts, read 7,254 times

Advertisements

Hi. Thinking of moving to the area to join my daughter and her family of 3. I have lived in the area before, 35 years ago. In these difficult times we want to pool our resources, and purchase land or a home and outside of Boise as renting for many years now in Payette is not good for them.
What I would ask you is this. Please recommend a location for us. We may want to park a travel trailer there while building a home, or arranging for a manufactured home. Water is important, but a well is not out of the question. Both are employed and have or had approval for a loan. .
Need to be less than an hour from Boise.
I am a Green Conservative, and they are moderately liberal if it matters. But I expect we can get along and fit in most places.
Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2022, 12:35 PM

1,255 posts, read 1,109,717 times
You've got a few choices depending on how many trees you want on your property, or is natural grass/sage your desired look. Plus, do you want to be in a small town, or very rural.

Mountain Home, and it's fringes would be a good choice, as it is a town with shopping, medical and schools all in one small town of ~14K. You can be in town, or just outside of town, depending on how much property you need and if you want to be connected to water/sewer services, or well and septic.

Mayfield is between Mountain Home and Boise. As you drive the freeway you can see the homes built north of the freeway. I think they are still selling lots out there that you can develop. You would certainly be on a well (shared?) and septic system. No close by shopping (except the truck stop), medical or schools.

Southwest of Boise would be Kuna or Marsing. Kuna has grown like crazy and is still growing strong. Marsing I haven't been to in a couple years, but was at least a small town with some character in Owyhee County.

North you could look in the Garden Valley area. This would be the area you would likely have trees naturally on your property. Small acreages are selling there. Not much in Garden Valley town right now, but I bet in a few years the area will develop quite a bit. Might be your chance to get in before everything grows big there.

Emmitt, also to the north is a closer in suburb that is growing, but is still a nice small town of its own. I would expect in several years it will be basically connected to Meridian/Boise, but right now it is separated.

Budget and where everyone will work will drive some choices. I'd likely pick Emmett if I were moving into the Boise area without work restrictions.

Old 09-01-2022, 02:07 PM

820 posts, read 1,069,044 times
If you are looking for an acre or more, make sure you double and triple check the cost of adding a well and septic system. Prices for wells have skyrocketed in the past few years with our growth and some shallow aquifer wells going dry in SW Boise creating even more demand for wells. For example, I just paid $27,000 for a well on one of my properties and it would have only been about $15k two years ago.

Another thing to watch out for is the City/County code and the community CCR's. For example, Canyon County (Nampa, Caldwell area, will only approve a permit for up to 90 days (no extensions) for a trailer or 5th wheel on a property. They will allow a one year permit if it is supplied along with a building permit for a residence so that people can live in their trailer while the home is being built.

Multi-generational homes are great for your situation. I have seen some fairly modest ones along with some million dollar plus homes with a 1,000 sq. ft. attached in-law suite.

Many people don't realize how different communities and the environment can be within an hour drive of Boise. Going out toward Mountain Home, it doesn't take long at all to get into acreage lots full of sagebrush and antelope. Going north you end up in the mountains with deer, elk and pine trees along with more snow in the winter. Going south west you are in agricultural land until you cross over the Snake River.

I love that diversity. Hope this helps.

Old 09-01-2022, 06:24 PM

5,585 posts, read 5,017,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Owl View Post
Hi. Thinking of moving to the area to join my daughter and her family of 3. I have lived in the area before, 35 years ago. In these difficult times we want to pool our resources, and purchase land or a home and outside of Boise as renting for many years now in Payette is not good for them.
What I would ask you is this. Please recommend a location for us. We may want to park a travel trailer there while building a home, or arranging for a manufactured home. Water is important, but a well is not out of the question. Both are employed and have or had approval for a loan. .
Need to be less than an hour from Boise.
I am a Green Conservative, and they are moderately liberal if it matters. But I expect we can get along and fit in most places.
Thanks so much.
oVER 1/2 acre = Septic tank and well.

Old 09-08-2022, 11:52 AM

623 posts, read 1,612,948 times
Another consideration--pre-approved for a loan doesn't really apply to a land purchase. Financing land alone is nearly impossible. You likely will want to focus your search on land with a home already on it in order to get a mortgage. In this case, you'll have well/septic already included.

Old 09-08-2022, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchfan View Post
Another consideration--pre-approved for a loan doesn't really apply to a land purchase. Financing land alone is nearly impossible. You likely will want to focus your search on land with a home already on it in order to get a mortgage. In this case, you'll have well/septic already included.
Actually several lenders are actively lending on land again. US Bank does land loans with 20% down ammortized over 30 years with no requirement on time to build.

Pre-approval also helps if they are doing a construction perm loan to factor in how much to pay for the land to stay in a total budget. I have done a lot of these over the years.

Old 09-10-2022, 06:45 PM

54 posts, read 79,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoBroker View Post

Another thing to watch out for is the City/County code and the community CCR's. For example, Canyon County (Nampa, Caldwell area, will only approve a permit for up to 90 days (no extensions) for a trailer or 5th wheel on a property. They will allow a one year permit if it is supplied along with a building permit for a residence so that people can live in their trailer while the home is being built..

How about Boise county for building codes and RVs on the property? Are they fairly laid back or full on building inspections like in the city? Thank you.

Old 09-16-2022, 12:19 AM

JJ,

As far as I know, Boise County is still very laid back as long as a specific community doesn't have CCR's to the contrary. For example, I have two lots listed that are roughly an acre each in Boise County that you can camp on, bring a yurt, mobile home or build a site built home on.

I will double check with their building department and planning and zoning offices just to verify since I don't like giving answers I can't back up. I will update this post as I verify.

Old 09-16-2022, 09:31 AM

54 posts, read 79,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoBroker View Post
JJ,

As far as I know, Boise County is still very laid back as long as a specific community doesn't have CCR's to the contrary. For example, I have two lots listed that are roughly an acre each in Boise County that you can camp on, bring a yurt, mobile home or build a site built home on.

I will double check with their building department and planning and zoning offices just to verify since I don't like giving answers I can't back up. I will update this post as I verify.

Very helpful. Thanks!

Old 09-21-2022, 04:46 PM

5,585 posts, read 5,017,434 times
It's not a good time to purchase as the Feds are raising the interest rate as high as 3/4 to 1% higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area