Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 08:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,379 times

Advertisements

How do you live off campus for job corps??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 10:02 PM

424 posts, read 1,379,086 times
I assume you are talking about being a non-residential student. Usually those are reserved for those who already have jobs, their own reliable transportation, kids at home, etc. Talk to the recruiting office in Boise about it. They are located right off of the Vista exit as you head towards downtown.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,152 times
wowwww some people are really mean like really mean and i was thinking about going to the centennial job corps but i dont think i want to put myself in a position that could make me want to quit or get kicked out for bitching at one of you

Old 11-15-2012, 08:47 AM

3 posts, read 4,389 times
I've been to Nampa Job Corps. I went for 2 weeks and couldn't stand it. I guess it wasn't for me, but all I can say is that I hate my freedom being stripped away. I like college SO much more.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,039 times
Default one in a million

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer1 View Post
This is going towards 'Green Pieces'. I went to Centennial Job Corps. No, I am not a vagrant, nor have I ever been in jail, and my only addiction is coffee. However, my parents were farm workers. They worked hard to get what they now have, which is a lot by anyone's standards. And yes, they were born and raised in here in the United States. Two weeks after I completed the program, I was hired by a lucrative business and am now making a VERY comfortable living as a partner. I also married a Job Corps graduate and with his carpentry skills and my business knowledge (of which some I learned at Job Corps), he now owns his own successful construction company. So the next time you want to post something as ignorant as that comment, you might want to do a little research into the subject. And it actually is a nice facility.
i currently attend carl d perkins job corps.... it is pretty much what has been recently stated... yes i completed 1 trade and starting my second while attending college, but every day is a struggle. most staff here blow you off unless you kiss their butt. mama you were one of those one in a million people. yes, there are some people who are decent and have a plan and will go somewhere in life but most of the people will go no where. right now i can go to pretty much anyone and either purchase drugs or can be directed to some one who has it. job corps is good if you are serious and have a plan. but you also need to be honest it aint all rainbows and sunshine.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:07 PM

1 posts, read 947 times
Default job corp nampa idaho wast of time bad experience

My son was there about four months I just got a call from him today stating he is being kicked out for not confessing to breaking the non smoking rule. they are putting him on a bus and sending him back home to Yakima tomorrow. He will not take the blame for something he simply did not do. so I decided to do a little checking in on this place and come to find out that they have a very big history of kicking students out within 4 to 5 months I am not sure if it is quotas that they are just trying to fill to get the students in there so they can kick them out within the appropriate timing or how they are working this scam they have going on so they can keep the facility open but I believe this is tax payers money they are wasting and my son wasted 4 months over there to be black balled out. I am filing complaints about the Nampa Idaho job corps and hopefully one of the news stations here will listen to me so I can make whats going on over there more public. I would like to see the place get shut down pending an investigation so that is the next step after the phone call I received from my son today I informed my boss I will be taking 3 weeks off of work, I am not taking this lightly. If you are thinking of joining the Nampa Idaho job corps center I would seriously reconsider .

Old 10-21-2014, 02:51 AM

2 posts, read 5,510 times
Default Wow

After reading so many of your postings. All I can say is wow. I am a recent graduate from Curlew Job Corps( September 25th, 2014) where I earned both my high school diploma, driver's license, and trade completion(HBI-FM). I was one of the top students there and had been accepted into advanced training....long story short I am now applying to Centennial Job Corps. Yes it is hard and there are a million and one rules. FOLLOW THEM! It is that simple. I promise. I have had days where I wanted to quit with my middle finger to the air and there have been days that you couldn't get me to leave. I am so thankful to all of those that influenced me and helped me along my journey. **** you to those that screwed me over. To those of you that are completely convinced that we are all "At risk youth" you might want to double check that I came to Job Corps with a cosmetology license from a middle class family, I didn't need Job Corps technically. Upon coming to the conclusion that I didn't want to spend the next 20 years paying off college debt I found another route to find a career that I would be happy in. I had already spent $9,800 on school out of my own pocket and I wasn't any more satisfied with life then I had been before. It is true that most students lose weight. Want to know why? Your not allowed to be a lazy ass. You really do have to get up and clean all the time and at Curlew every trade participated in a degree of physical training. I got myself into a whole lot better shape than I had been in. I feel better and I can perform at my job better. If you really want something better for yourself I suggest you find a recruiting center near you soon. Don't ***** about it just know that you are there for one person, you.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:12 PM

1 posts, read 613 times
As a former Job Corps instructor, I feel the need to respond to Vinyard Meadows:
"There should be statistics for where these graduates wind up. If objective stats are available, heed them.

I might send someone to learn landscaping and a few other departments, but the clerical department can't possibly be run by competant folk if she graduated from that program."

Please understand that Job Corps students CHOOSE the programs they want to pursue, and Job Corps does NOT choose the students who enroll. If students meet the qualification guidelines, and any disabilities can be reasonably accommodated, Job Corps MUST accept their enrollment. The ADA does not allow permit cherry picking.

Job Corps gets to train what shows up on the doorstep to level to which the individual is capable. While students are counseled to pursue training that best match their abilities and interests, many times advice to the contrary of their personal wishes falls upon deaf ears. Many students come to Job Corps because the traditional school setting fails them. Job Corps training is hands-on; they learn by doing. Students have up to two years to complete training. Many of them need that much time, not due to the incompetency of the training program, as Vinyard Meadows suggests, but because their learning ability is compromised by mental or other issues.

Once students are on center, they must CHOOSE a training program. Sometimes the program they are encouraged to choose is the one that is best-suited to their overall functioning, which may be quite limited. Vinyard Meadows mentions only the young lady's mental capacities; it's entirely possible she was physically or medically unsuited to work in a hard trade, and that office occupations was the best worst choice. Though the young lady in question apparently felt she was a competent secretary, I can assure you, her instructor(s) and counselor(s) were aware of her limits and did their best to make her aware of such and connect her to services that could provide her with as well-matched placement as possible. Not everyone, however, is willing to admit their limitations, take advantage of such services, nor will they do the things expected and required to find and keep work. Students are drilled, reminded, coached, pushed and nudged daily to meet the expectations of the workplace in regards to appearance, deportment, and professionalism in their respective occupations. Some get it and incorporate it into their daily operating after leaving training; others don't or won't and revert to dysfunctional modes of operating.

Graduates can receive up to two years of support services in finding jobs, preparing resumes, receiving job leads, practicing for interviews, etc as well. If graduates have no family or other means of support upon graduating, they might indeed wind up in a homeless shelter, but every effort is made to connect them with a job and housing at best and with community services at worst before they exit the program. Students who DO complete the program receive a modest adjustment allowance to assist with such costs.

I encourage Vinyard Meadows and others who are willing to pan any training program based on one encounter to do some research on their subjects prior to posting opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: