Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2021, 05:26 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,417,821 times

Advertisements

I really enjoyed The Gown and rated it 5 stars. Yes there were parts or twists that were a bit of a stretch but I think the overall story and details made it so engaging. This was for book club and I was not too thrilled about the selection but obviously I was wrong.
I am now reading We Have Always Lived in the Castle. I am about 20% into it, and not sure what I think of it but it's definitely got me reading it. Very very different.
Kathryn- how did you like Bookwoman of TroublesomeCreek?
Uggabugga- would love to hear your impression when you finish. I'd like to read it as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2021, 06:17 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,386,066 times
I just finished Ishmael's Oranges. Although quite deep and suspenseful and a lot of thought for the characters I found it somewhat dragging. I kept mixing up the characters A 2 star read for me.
Maybe I need to watch the movie.

The audio book "The amazing story of the man who cycled from India to Europe for love" was great! 5 stars for me!

I started the next audio book right away: The Parisian by Isabella Hammad. But it couldn't keep my interest and my mind started wandering while listening to it. So I just stopped and switched to the next: The Other Child by Charlotte Link which is quite good.

Currently reading: Flawed by Cecilia Ahern.

Something completely different than the last books I've read. I'm curious.

Old 12-09-2021, 09:30 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I really enjoyed The Gown and rated it 5 stars. Yes there were parts or twists that were a bit of a stretch but I think the overall story and details made it so engaging. This was for book club and I was not too thrilled about the selection but obviously I was wrong.
I am now reading We Have Always Lived in the Castle. I am about 20% into it, and not sure what I think of it but it's definitely got me reading it. Very very different.
Kathryn- how did you like Bookwoman of TroublesomeCreek?
Uggabugga- would love to hear your impression when you finish. I'd like to read it as well.
Thank you and I loved The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek~!

Old 12-11-2021, 01:00 AM

14 posts, read 9,561 times
About 80% into Wind Up bird Chronicle by Murakami. Very interesting read.

Old 12-11-2021, 01:57 AM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
I put down "American Marxism" to read "All American Christmas" because I wanted to read the latter before the holiday.

Old 12-14-2021, 12:09 AM

Finished:
Flawed (Ceclia Ahern) - 5 stars

Kind of like The Handmaid's Tale as YA. It was something completely different from the books I've read over the last months and since it had a quick pace, nice twists and turns I really liked it.

The Other Child (Charlotte Link) - 3 stars
Many characters, very complex, suspenseful. I really like her stories since many of them are placed in Yorkshire and the area / towns / weather / nature are described often and very well.

Now on:
Atlas of an anxious man (German audio version) by Christoph Ransmayr
and
Wonder by R.J. Palacio

I'm looking forward to the holidays and more time to read

Have a great day you all!

Old 12-14-2021, 07:42 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
I'm enjoying reading The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah. Y'all, this is a long, thick book and not a light read for a novel. But I really, really am enjoying it.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...he-nightingale

Old 12-14-2021, 08:49 AM

4,794 posts, read 2,798,999 times
Default Room to swing a cat

Just finished Master & commander, the first of the Aubrey/Maturin series, & the loose basis for the movie (which is apparently in the process of being rebooted - with some [?] of the original cast. Interesting reading, cf. to the Richard Sharpe series on the Napoleonic wars on land.

Old 12-14-2021, 07:01 PM

26,721 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
Long Road to Mercy (Atlee Pine #1), David Baldacci 2018.
I finished the first three Atlee Pine novels by Baldacci. There were 4 holds at the library on the last one, Mercy, which I just picked up. Yes!

https://www.davidbaldacci.com/landin...e-pine-series/

Old 12-15-2021, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
Finished:

Now on:
Atlas of an anxious man (German audio version) by Christoph Ransmayr
and
Wonder by R.J. Palacio

Stopped Atlas of an anxious man after about 20 minutes. The author reads it himself and this is really exhausting. Above that it didn't seem very interesting at all.

So I downloaded The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue which is very intriguing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books