U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-01-2011, 06:12 PM
 
Location: Detroit
655 posts, read 2,041,136 times
Reputation: 199

Advertisements

After reading and watching the "Millennium Trilogy" for a second time I think I'm in the mood for more crime books with a female lead. Can anyone recommend something worthy of Lisbeth?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-02-2011, 07:34 AM
 
8,210 posts, read 12,426,936 times
Reputation: 11150
Boy, I can think of female protagonists but nothing like her. I'll be interested in what others may come up with.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2011, 12:35 PM
 
995 posts, read 960,649 times
Reputation: 1133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Boy, I can think of female protagonists but nothing like her. I'll be interested in what others may come up with.
Same for me, I'm drawing a blank on female-lead mysteries/suspense like those. Lisbeth was...unparalleled imo.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2011, 06:59 PM
 
169 posts, read 480,938 times
Reputation: 126
Not quite like Lisbeth, but crime novel with strong female lead:

* The Kay Scarpetta series by Patricia Cornwell. Start from the beginning. The latest books aren't as good... She's the medical examiner.

* The Rizzoli and Isles series by Tess Gerritsen. Rizzoli is a cop and Isles is the medical examiner (both female)

* The Jane Perry series (detective) by Laurel Dewey. I had only read one book (the 3rd in the series called Revelations, which can read as a stand alone) but in this book Jane used a lot of bad language and is/was an alcoholic so that's different from the typical "good girl" lead.

* The Temperance Branna series by Kathy Reichs - the TV show Bones is inspired from this series but the books and the TV shows aren't really alike, apart from Temperance's name and occupation (an archaeologist).

As mentioned they are nothing like Lisbeth, but they kick butt in their own way
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2011, 08:21 PM
 
Location: So Ca
19,443 posts, read 17,548,790 times
Reputation: 17045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummm View Post
The Kay Scarpetta series by Patricia Cornwell. Start from the beginning. The latest books aren't as good... She's the medical examiner.
Yes. But I loved all of them, especially the last one.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2011, 12:24 AM
 
995 posts, read 960,649 times
Reputation: 1133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummm View Post
Not quite like Lisbeth, but crime novel with strong female lead:

* The Kay Scarpetta series by Patricia Cornwell. Start from the beginning. The latest books aren't as good... She's the medical examiner.

* The Rizzoli and Isles series by Tess Gerritsen. Rizzoli is a cop and Isles is the medical examiner (both female)

* The Jane Perry series (detective) by Laurel Dewey. I had only read one book (the 3rd in the series called Revelations, which can read as a stand alone) but in this book Jane used a lot of bad language and is/was an alcoholic so that's different from the typical "good girl" lead.

* The Temperance Branna series by Kathy Reichs - the TV show Bones is inspired from this series but the books and the TV shows aren't really alike, apart from Temperance's name and occupation (an archaeologist).

As mentioned they are nothing like Lisbeth, but they kick butt in their own way
I would have mentioned these, but since the OP was looking for something worthy of Lisbeth, I drew a blank. These are all good mystery/suspense series, but imo they have nothing on the dark/suspenseful scale of the Millenium trilogy. I think that's why they were so successful...Lisbeth was an original.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2011, 09:12 AM
 
Location: Sugar Grove, IL
3,131 posts, read 10,790,161 times
Reputation: 1619
I am not familiar with the books featuring Lisbeth, but I have always enjoyed the scarpetta books. also, kinsey milhone by Sue Grafton. I like her character. I also read some books a number of years ago by Carol O'connel. the lead character was mallory. those were quite good.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2011, 02:43 PM
 
Location: Sweden
23,883 posts, read 67,256,667 times
Reputation: 18481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy san View Post
After reading and watching the "Millennium Trilogy" for a second time I think I'm in the mood for more crime books with a female lead. Can anyone recommend something worthy of Lisbeth?
You should try Liza Marklund and Camilla Läckberg since you've already began reading swedish authors.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:32 PM.

¬© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top