Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your favourite J.G Ballard novel?
The Wind From Nowhere (1961) 0 0%
The Drowned World (1962) 0 0%
The Burning World (1964) 0 0%
The Drought (1965) 0 0%
The Crystal World (1966) 0 0%
Crash (1973) 2 33.33%
Concrete Island (1974) 0 0%
High Rise (1975) 0 0%
The Unlimited Dream Company (1979) 0 0%
Hello America (1981) 1 16.67%
Empire of the Sun (1984) 2 33.33%
The Day of Creation (1987) 0 0%
Running Wild (1988) 0 0%
The Kindness of Women (1991) 0 0%
Rushing to Paradise (1994) 0 0%
Cocaine Nights (1996) 1 16.67%
Super-Cannes (2000) 0 0%
Millennium People (2003) 0 0%
Kingdom Come (2006) 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 10:14 AM

1,068 posts, read 2,022,385 times

Advertisements

I've read all J.G Ballard's work and he is famous for many big screen adaptations of his works, primarily 'Empire Of The Sun' and 'Crash'. He was also a big influence on the band Joy Division who named one of their songs 'Atrocity Exhibition' after one of his short stories.

It has been a long time since I've read J.G Ballard but his novels and short stories introduced me to a world that was harrowing and unflinching in a way that alot of other authors that occupied my time weren't as a teenager.

My two favourite J.G Ballard books have not been made into films. They are 'Cocaine Nights' and 'Super-Cannes'. Both superbly written titles. 'Super-Cannes' tackles brutally (and hilariously) the "suburbanisation of the soul".

These themes are satirically ridiculed in what actually seems quite an implausible yet cathartic setting yet I remember enjoying these books when they first came out. 'High Rise' too is a another very good novel. The Complete Short Stories is well worth a read too.

Unquestionably a very talented writer I just wonder how which of his titles would stand the test of time and can be truly held up in 2012 as having stood the test of time as his greatest book.

Last edited by Fear&Whiskey; 11-15-2012 at 10:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 12:36 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,328,033 times
No doubt about it. My favorite is Empire of the Sun. I love that book and I learned so much history from it.

Ballard is easy to read. He's a comfortable writer even when he is describing something quite horrible.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:22 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,453,251 times
For me it has to be Crash. There are passages of astonishing vision and brutal creativity. OTOH, Atrocity Exhibition is an incredible construction. Now I'm just gushing, though. I voted for Crash. R.I.P., Mr. Ballard.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:24 AM

Thanks for the great responses. I agree, I think Ballard was a magnificent short story writer and had a wonderfully accessible yet descriptive style of writing that is quite unique.

Even though 'Empire Of The Sun' was a very harrowing novel I also feel that Ballard had a way of guiding the reader through these unrelenting passages that made you feel at ease even though the descriptions were very often very difficult to contemplate.

The Doctor telling Jim to eat the flies in his food in the Japanese concentration camp is an image that has stayed with me forever. And in a way that was one of the more comforting and reassuring moments in a what was an unrelentingly bleak story.

I recall many years ago one of my neighbours refused to get in a cab not because the driver was Japanese but because the car was. I also often wondered how many Japanese people held similar resentment towards the Allied Forces, especially after the bombings that ended the war, depicted serenely with a flash and a grimace towards the latter stages of in 'Empire Of The Sun'.

As for 'Crash' it takes an author of real skill to pull off such a novel. Very exhilarating book, very provocative and unnerving. It reminds me also why perhaps some readers will never quite embrace Ballard but it is certainly one of his best and a work of startling originality.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:05 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,453,251 times
I introduced an ex-roommate to Ballard and he remarked that the writing was too simile and metaphor driven. I disagreed, of course as a fan, since in a novel like Crash one would hope it's metaphorical! But I've kept the observation with me since then as a gentle reminder to myself.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:32 AM

Super-Cannes is probably a bit too metaphor and simile driven if you were going to be hyper-critical but I wouldn't say 'Crash' would fall under that bracket as provocative, descriptive imagery is the overarching focal point driving the story.

I think it would be very hard to undermine 'Crash' on the grounds that it's too metaphor driven but perhaps some of his other novels do have these traits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books