Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 03:24 AM

1 posts, read 1,431 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody!

I'm yound mother and looking for some books for my babes(5,9). Recently have read with them To Be a Dragonet Is Terrific! by Gibey, it was just awesome!!!

Could you recommend me any other books please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 08:16 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,352,029 times
You might enjoy the Junie B. Jones books.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:26 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,936,117 times
The mention of Dragon in your post made me think about how much my kids loved "My Father's Dragon" by Ruth Stiles Gannet. It is an old book (1940s) I think and is actually a trilogy. It is an adventure story about a boy named Elmer Elevator who goes on a quest to an imaginary island to rescue a baby dragon. It is a fun story for that age group.

I second the suggestion of Junie B. Jones. I loved reading those silly stories!

My kids were also big fans of the oldies but goodies of Ramona the Pest, Henry Huggins...

Enjoy every minute - those days go by quickly!

Old 07-26-2013, 05:00 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
Here you go:

Top 100 Children's Books of All-Time

100 Best Books: TeachersFirst

http://www.scholastic.com/100books/

Old 07-27-2013, 11:25 AM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,030,774 times
For your younger child I would recommend a book that my kids loved and left me laughing every time we read it: Click, Clack, Moo, Cows that Type.

For your 9 year old a great book is The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:24 AM

243 posts, read 452,760 times
These are from my childhood years (1990's), but I still think they're good

For your older child:

My favorite was A Wrinkle in Time. I still read it sometimes.

I really loved From the Mixed-Up Files of Basil E. Frankweiler and The Phantom Tollbooth.

I read The Babysitter's Club series religiously. I also really liked Goosebumps and Nancy Drew.

The Wayside School series was pretty fun to read. My favorite one was Wayside School Gets A Little Stranger.

I liked the TV series better, but The Magic School Bus books were pretty good.

For your younger child:

My earliest reading memories were Dr. Seuss books. I made my parents read them to me so much, I memorized the words and would "read" along with them. They're fun, classic books that won't ever go out of style.

I also had a big collection of Berenstain Bears and Golden Books.

Clifford the Big Red Dog was a class favorite in elementary school. I remember everyone loved those.

My grandma sent me Highlights Magazine and National Geographic Kids for years. I still have them in a box at my parents house.

I used to babysit a 5 year old, and she loved books about the world around her. So pretty much DK Eyewitness Books, or those like it. She loved flipping through this coffee table book with big photos of animals and telling me about all of them. Clearly her mom had been reading it with her, and it occupied her for a good ten minutes at a time

You could always go to your library too and have your kiddos pick out a few books at time to take home. My local library always has eye catching themed displays on the children's floor. No risk if they don't like them, and they get to be part of the process too.

Hope some of this helps; sorry I don't have anything from this millennium to add.

Last edited by Ohio Hello; 07-29-2013 at 02:43 AM..

Old 07-29-2013, 11:40 PM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times
I really loved The Very Persistent Gappers of Frip, by George Saunders. Here's the info at Amazon:

The Very Persistent Gappers of Frip: George Saunders, Lane Smith: 9781932416374: Amazon.com: Books

For some reason, I've never learned how to highlight links like everyone else seems to do.
This book is great for adults as well as children. It's very funny and heartwarming. I have the first edition, which is such a beautiful printing. The illustrations are fabulous as well.

Read the reviews, they're very good. Here's one that gives a little idea of the story:

3 of 3 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars A Delightful Little Illustrated Fairy Tale Short Story for All Ages, August 5, 2006
By
Wildness (Colorado Plateau) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)

This review is from: The Very Persistent Gappers of Frip (Hardcover)
In the small town of Frip - three houses and three families living by the sea - the main economy is goat milk and goat cheese. But, the town is plagued by Gappers; Gappers are small dim-witted, multi-eyed, orange, sticky, ball-sized creatures (like Tribbles, but not as cute) that love goats. They love goats so much that, if left unattended, they cover the goats from head to toe and so traumatize them that goats stop producing milk and thus shut down the economy of Frip.

As with any well represented agrarian culture, it falls to the children to brush the Gappers from the goats and drop them into the nearby sea; a chore that is performed as much as eight times a day to keep the goats Gapper free. Each time the Gappers are dropped into the ocean, they regroup and return to land and divide themselves equally among the three families until one day a slightly less dim-witted Gapper decides they should all go to the closest house; this house belongs to Capable and her grieving father.

As Capable struggles with the growing burden of having only her goats loved to death by the Gappers, the other two families are free to pursue their own endeavors - mainly being petty and selfish. Capable though lives up to her name and expands her horizons a bit leading to a battle of wits and wills among the small town of Frip.

This is a simple moral tale of community that was a joy to read. Both children and adults will find this tale useful in their everyday lives - whether it be on the playground or in the board room.

>>>>>>><<<<<<<

A Guide to my Book Rating System:

1 star = The wood pulp would have been better utilized as toilet paper.
2 stars = Don't bother, clean your bathroom instead.
3 stars = Wasn't a waste of time, but it was time wasted.
4 stars = Good book, but not life altering.
5 stars = This book changed my world in at least some small way.

Last edited by katygirl68; 07-29-2013 at 11:57 PM..

Old 08-10-2013, 05:14 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,619,209 times
Quote:
These are from my childhood years (1990's), but I still think they're good
Of course they are! And I'm a bit older cough cough. I have books galore. I told my kids that when I pass on and they have kids you are not to sell any of my books to anybody. Under no circumstances. It is my wish for the grandkids to get them. In those books are a repository of great history and stories. Really it's the least I can do along those line to pass stuff on through the generations!

Old 08-11-2013, 06:03 PM

306 posts, read 451,882 times
Two wonderful wordless books which can be enjoyed by both kids, and even by you : Anno's Journey by Mitsumasa Anno, and
Tuesday, by David Wiener.

For the little one, the books by Mo Willems would be perfect, especially the ones from the "Pigeon", "Elephant and Piggie", and "Knuffle Bunny" series. For the older kid, "The Invention of Hugo Cabret", by Brian Selznick.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:04 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
When my son was seven, I read him Lord of the Rings, Watership Down, Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Out of Africa, My Antonia -- Don't worry, they will be able to process enough of it. You don't have to stick to books that are written for children.

When he was six, we were driving on a camping trip, and Iowa Public Radio had one of those reader programs on, and they were reading "Gods, Heroes and Men of Ancient Greece" by W H D Rouse. I noticed that he was giving it rapt attention, so I asked him if I should get the book and read the whole thing to him. He excitedly said yes, and that became our first chapter book for bedtime reading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books