Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 03:45 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,687,488 times

Advertisements

This just happened to me again. I've learned to abandon books if there's no particular reason to keep at them. But sometimes because of the book's reputation, I know I should make an extra effort.

The first time was with Gone With the Wind. I'd tried several times, but kept getting bogged down in a lengthy scenery description. Finally at some point I picked up my own cheap copy at a rummage sale, got past that and was off and running.

But now just had that again. My copy of Mark Helprin's Memoir from Antproof Case has been on my shelf for years, and I've tried at least two or three times, but it just struck my as awfully dull. But I knew it's considered great, and I thought I'd make one last try - and really glad I did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 03:59 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,047,252 times
Yes. Quite a number of times. It just seems like a matter of timing, of not being in the right head-space for that particular book at that particular time. And then, when I'm in the right frame of mind (not even knowing that I was in the "wrong" frame of mind previously), I'm all "How could I not have loved this book before????" I'm just thankful that I tried again (and again... and possibly again) those times. With most books, I don't bother. But, like you said, sometimes there's a compelling reason to try, like based on its reputation.

Also: Thank you. I just looked up that Mark Helprin book and it sounds terrific. I just bought it and added it to my new ever-growing "to read" list, but I'm excited to get to it.

Old 11-25-2012, 04:42 PM

48,540 posts, read 34,891,275 times
Yes, the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. I have tried repeatedly from grade school through my 40s, and it never holds my interest. It's totally my genre, and I loved the movie - I did FORCE myself after the movie and probably just skimmed a lot.

It's a classic - I can't figure out why I can never get into them.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:22 PM

26,748 posts, read 26,841,237 times
Anna Karenina. Twice. I couldn't seem to keep all of the characters straight. (Im going to try again sometime soon.)

Old 11-25-2012, 05:42 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,472,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yes, the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. I have tried repeatedly from grade school through my 40s, and it never holds my interest. It's totally my genre, and I loved the movie - I did FORCE myself after the movie and probably just skimmed a lot.

It's a classic - I can't figure out why I can never get into them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Anna Karenina. Twice. I couldn't seem to keep all of the characters straight. (Im going to try again sometime soon.)
LOL - I saw this thread title and these are the books I immediately thought of. Although The Hobbit etc is not my genre at all, I really did "want" to like them. Yawn. I will try Anna Karenina again though since I am a bit of a Russophile.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:20 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,336,629 times
This happened to me with The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. I tried to read it 3 times and it took on the third time.

I love that book and the others that follow but on the first and second try I was lost and saying to myself "Who the heck are all these people? And why are they so odd?" ahahahahahahaha

Old 11-25-2012, 06:36 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,749,721 times
Yes, Moby Dick. I got through several chapters and just couldn't stand it anymore. Since then I've gone back a few times trying to pick up where I stopped, and I get a page or two into it and simply give up. I don't know what it is about that book, but I doubt I'll ever finish it. And it's the only book that's ever struck me that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I struggled with that one and it took me forever to read it, but I eventually finished and I'm glad I read it. But...I don't see myself ever reading it again.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:17 PM

3,720 posts, read 10,003,728 times
I loved Anna Karenina and had no problem getting through it.

The Right Stuff - I tried a few times and just couldn't get past the first couple chapters.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:58 AM

17,403 posts, read 16,553,894 times
These are the two classics that I've tried more than once to get through, but still haven't:

1984 - just too dreary and disturbing. Oddly enough I did like Animal Farm.

21 Balloons - I know, it's a children's classic, but just not my thing I guess.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:02 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,142,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
This just happened to me again. I've learned to abandon books if there's no particular reason to keep at them. But sometimes because of the book's reputation, I know I should make an extra effort.

The first time was with Gone With the Wind. I'd tried several times, but kept getting bogged down in a lengthy scenery description. Finally at some point I picked up my own cheap copy at a rummage sale, got past that and was off and running.

But now just had that again. My copy of Mark Helprin's Memoir from Antproof Case has been on my shelf for years, and I've tried at least two or three times, but it just struck my as awfully dull. But I knew it's considered great, and I thought I'd make one last try - and really glad I did.
I am trying this right now. My GF gave me a book, I told her over a month ago I would finish it in 2 weeks. No dice. I have a Nook too with numerous books on it. it's collecting dust. I read non-fiction mostly and it's from the computer or I watch movies instead, or listen to music. The movies and music has toomuch of a hold on me.

I try to get out...they keep pulling me back in!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books