Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 03:33 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,080,187 times

Advertisements

I loved Paul Zindel. 'Pardon me, you're stepping on my eyeball' was one of my all-time favorites.
I liked Stephen King as a child, especially his short stories
'A Tree Grows in Brooklyn'
Oh...anything by Dr.Suess
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 08:51 PM

891 posts, read 3,052,560 times
My very first favorite book was "The Outsiders". I read it in 5th grade and about once a year for several years after that. My son is 10 and he jsut finished it. I don't know if he loved it as much as I did but I hope so.
That book made me love reading.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:50 AM

1,458 posts, read 4,131,378 times
My daughter just finished The Outsiders. It took her awhile though, at one point she said it was "too sad" to finish. I've been trying to get my 11 yr son to try it too.

This is one of my all time favorites...as a teenager I tried most of SEHinton's other books, but none came near to being as good.

I brought this book (and Flowers in the Attic) home, hoping to get my daughter's mind off of wanting Breaking Dawn.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:05 AM

I had to bribe my son with the promise of a new Lego set to read it. He was convinced he wouldn't like it but I knew he would. Afterwards he thanked me (though he still requested the Lego's).

Old 09-09-2008, 10:51 AM

11,085 posts, read 17,532,479 times
I always looked forward to reading the Hardy Boys while growing up in the 60s and 70s.
I read quite a few books by Jesse Stuart, a Kentucky author and poet. He had a massive heart attack in the 50s at Murray State College in Ky, and wrote a book about his recovery. "The Year of my Rebirth". He was a good author. Got to meet him a couple times.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:51 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,532,479 times
Gal, what got my sons reading when they were in grade school was Pizza Hut. If they read I think 6 books a month, they got a coupon for a free personal pan pizza.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:04 AM

Great idea. Thanks!

Old 09-21-2008, 10:44 PM

26 posts, read 118,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
When I was growing up (in the late 1800s it sometimes seems) , there were very few "chapter books" for young people. Often we were forced to read really boring series like The Bobbsey Twins or something. That's why I was thrilled when Trixie Belden came along. She was , to my POV much more modern than that stuffy old Nancy Drew. Does anyone else have memories of books that they loved as children ?

I don't think Nancy Drew was stuffy at all. I'm only 18 and when I was little I loved reading about all of her mystery solving adventures... and The Hardy Boys too. And my younger sister is only 10 and she reads Nancy Drew. You must have been a very hard to please kid.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:47 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,371,678 times
Wow - I liked just about anything. I'd be here naming books forever.

My favorite author: Judy Bloom - it started with Tales of A Fourth Grade Nothing.

My favorite series:
Alice McKinley
Baby-sitters Club
Sweet Valley Twins
Boxcar children
Encyclopedia Brown
Mrs. Piggle Wiggle

My all-time favorite book had to be The Wednesday Witch by Ruth Chew. I think I read that book a million times. In close second would be The Nobody Club by Madge Harrah. There was this one book I read as a child; the main character's name was Jane and she had two older sisters and friends named Becca and Jeff. It was basically a story about her trying to survive seventh grade - but I can't remember the name of it - I loved that book.

Old 09-28-2008, 07:29 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,452,259 times
This thread has brought back so many wonderful memories. when I was pretty young, my sister and I were in charge of most household chores. (Dishes, cleaning, laundry, ironing). Our mom was physically handicapped and so we sort of took over. We made the time go faster while we worked by taking turns reading to one another while the other one toiled away. Oh the stories! We went thru Swiss Family robinson, Nancy Drew's stories, A Girl of the Limberlost, Little Women, so many others. Some of my most precious memories involve those stories and the closeness it gave to my sister and I.

Oddly enough, my sister never reads books now. I read constantly. It is one of the big joys of my life. Glad to find others who share my passion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books