Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 08:47 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,100,489 times

Advertisements

As far as so-called classics that had a ton of positive hype, my choice for worst novel I ever rread is without a doubt "One-Hundred Years of Solitude" my Gabriel Garcia-Marquez.

I found it self-indulgent, absurdist and juvenile. And what's up with using the same names over and over for different characters? Complete rubbish.
Also, I for the life of me could never understand the allure of Ernest Hemingway. Wooden, stilted characters and high-school level rudimentary writing style. What am I missing here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 11:43 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,802,649 times
I read half of Ben Carson's autobiography Gifted Hands. I thought it was awful - entirely too self-righteous and egocentric. Hated it. I usually try to finish books that I start, but I didn't find this book to be uplifting or inspirational. Yuck!

Old 12-21-2010, 02:11 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,322,889 times
The Danny Orlis series books are absolutely the very worst books I have ever read. For those of you who were fortunate enough to avoid Danny Orlis growing up, here is a link: Danny Orlis series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When I grew up, I had access to very few books. There was no library other than the school library and the church library. Now, I read everything, including the French parts of Corn Flakes boxes. But Danny Orlis, the Christian version of the Hardy Boys... I prayed for him to die at the hands of his fictional enemies.

According to the Wikipedia site, he was still around tormenting other children with his stupid life as recently as 1989.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:10 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,191,122 times
I can't read anything by Anne Rice. DRIVES ME INSANE. How much description can you possibly need? Every book I've tried to read of hers, I've gotten a chapter into it and felt like my eyes were crossing. UGH

Old 12-28-2010, 01:09 AM

32 posts, read 44,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
What an exceptional post.
Thank you I just couldn't find how to thank you in response to your reputation message

Old 12-28-2010, 01:11 AM

32 posts, read 44,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by light_shimmer View Post
I can't read anything by Anne Rice. DRIVES ME INSANE. How much description can you possibly need? Every book I've tried to read of hers, I've gotten a chapter into it and felt like my eyes were crossing. UGH
Vampire Lestat series were quite good but after she decided to be a late nun and turned her face towards the illuminating sun of religion, she was instantly dropped my reading list (not that those books were soundly written ones, they were also bad)

Old 05-10-2011, 02:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,210 times
Thumbs down Don't be fooled by this post - it's a great book!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Just finished the most awful book I've ever forced myself to finish!

The Ghostwriter by John Harwood

Simply awful.....I didn't find any spine tingling, hair raising passages at all...BORING

I enjoyed this clever and creepy book very much; it's well written with an interesting plot and many psychologically devious twists and turns; has a horrific means of murder in one part; it's certainly not boring at all, but not for all tastes.

Old 05-10-2011, 01:27 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,953,054 times
I have to agree with the Twilight series. Pure drivel. I hated the character Bella and even more, I despised the character Edward. What makes me mad, is that I finished the series and was so pissed off for having wasted my time reading them. The last book was the worst of them all.

Hmmmm... The Element of Time was another horrible book. It started off good, but slowly turned into this stupid fluffy girlie crap that made no sense. I hate when female characters start off really strong and then they introduce some guy and they become twits.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:05 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,166,927 times
Usually if something is really bad I won't get past the first chapter. I do recall forcing myself to finish Along Came a Spider which seemed to be written on a third grade level and was about as scary as an episode of Scooby Doo...the popularity of James Patterson mystifies me. I imagine Dan Brown is equally bad.

The Night Gardener by George Pelecanos is a more recent one that I forced myself to get through - good reviews on Amazon, but I thought it was cliched dreck.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:19 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,195,349 times
I read about the first five pages of the first Twilight book once.

'Nough said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books