Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2009, 06:55 AM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,804,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
(ouups sorry) just read a paperback I found in a lodge while vacationing, I couldn't finish it but it seemed quite readable, it's the story of a British woman who, walking near a circle of ancient stones, is catapulted in 1950 two centuries back in the Highlands in Georgian Scotland, I lost the book unfortunately, the main character in the story is an evil Captain Randall of the Redcoats, and the heroin is dubbed Sassenach by the Scottish tribesmen ,does someone has a clue as to the author and title of this novel? (just forgot it...)

I did a google search and found it for you:

"Outlander" by Diana Gabaldon

Amazon.com: Outlander: Diana Gabaldon: Books

blessings, Shen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 09:24 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,500,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams.

I love Sci-fi & read a ton in High School, but man, it was like pulling teeth to get thru that.
I don't read a lot of sci fi, but I picked up my husband's copy of "The More Than Complete Hitchhiker's Guide" which has all 5 books in the series.
It's a large hardback, 624 pages. My marker is still on page 466. It just got slower and slower for me till I finally quit. (Just figured out I quit very near the end of the third book)

I must say though, I thought the first two books were excellent, intelligently written, and hilarious! I think I'll try again from page 1.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:43 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,739 times
YESSIR! Outlander!
But this one is NOT a bad book at all!
Really, the UScITYdATA community is INCREDIBLE !

Old 07-05-2009, 01:33 PM

263 posts, read 251,105 times
If I really want to read a book, or see a movie, I do. No matter what anyone says, including some of my own friends. I love the book "The Catcher in the Rye." Many people I know don't, or are on the fence. I don't understand why people wouldn't like this book. Unless they are very religious, because there is a lot of language, sexual situations, etc. Also, if you aren't from this country, or don't know much about post-WWIII America, you probably won't appreciate it, or "get it." I happen to think it is the best book ever. Sad parts, funny parts. I laugh out loud reading certain parts. The only book I never finished was that stupid one by "The Annoying Randy." The Mask of Nostradamus. Anyone else read this? Or any others by him? Thoughts? Also, I can only think of one movie I really disliked. Moulin Rouge. And I've sat through some cheesy, bad movies. Think Night of the Lepus. I liked Waterworld. Many did not. I saw it, even after reading countless bad reviews. My friend and I went back and saw it a second time. I do not listen to critics, and I think they did a big disservice to Waterworld. Don't know what their agenda was? Did others think this movie was as bad as they made it out to be? I thought the whole premise was cool. Neat effects. And, Hopper as "king of the smokers." Like ol' Abe said, "You can please some of the people some of the time, but..."

Last edited by HoneyLamb; 07-05-2009 at 01:46 PM..

Old 07-05-2009, 01:52 PM

263 posts, read 251,105 times
Pigeonhole-Maybe they aren't all from the U.S. People can put anything in their location box

Old 07-06-2009, 03:38 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,739 times
Honeylamb- I loved "The Catcher In The Rye" and also "Franny and Zooey" , Salinger was -is?- a great writer, I read it when I was a teenager and it made a lasting impression.
And I like Dennis Hopper as an actor too.
Methinks we share some tastes.
Right now I'm watching "Californication" on streaming , what do you think of these series? It depicts quite realistically a certain SouthCal/Holywood atmosphere I believe...

Old 07-07-2009, 04:50 PM

Location: I will be escaping Suck City and landing in Tampa in December
346 posts, read 910,575 times
Though I answered this thread a couple months ago with (The Lovely Bones), let me toss on the stink pile--James Joyce's Portrait of the Artist--zzzzZZZZzzzzZZZZZzzzzzzzz.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:28 AM

3,734 posts, read 4,546,199 times
There've been a good number of really bad books that I've read. Although I read (or struggled through) this one over twenty years ago, it still sticks out as among the worst:

Valide: A Novel of the Harem by Barbara Chase-Riboud.

Talk about confusing plot line and ridiculous dramatic arch!

Old 07-14-2009, 01:31 PM

20 posts, read 75,983 times
Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini: stole his plot from Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Earthsea, and Dragonriders of Pern, villain does nothing evil, Mary Sue and Gary Stu characters, elves reflect Paolini's ideal race while the other races get the shaft, Eragon and Angela are author-inserts, and Eragon's morals and logic are just stupid. Not to mention the nonsensical plot and abundance of plot holes.

Twilight, etc. by Stephanie Meyer: no plot in the first book, ruined vampires forever, bad romance novel in general, whole thing is Meyer's wish fulfillment.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:26 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,375,680 times
Perri O'Shaunessy. Can't remember the title of the book but one of the suspects is a woman mountain climber and anxious to leave Seattle (I think) because an opening has come up on a team climbing Mt. Everest and she's going to join the team and summit in just a couple of days. Can't be done. Such gross errors tell me that she was too lazy to research something that she did not know anything about and those kinds of sloppy mistakes make me crazy. Shows a lack of respect for the reader.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books