Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2009, 02:40 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,739 times

Advertisements

...sorry it's from John Irving.
Overstated author in my book.
Should have sticked to wrestling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 07:04 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,489,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Hotel New Hampshire (it's from Stephen King I think) was very boring too.
That's by John Irving, and I loved that one.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:22 AM

authors who wrote books that required passwords: William Blake.

Blake was more of a poet than a writer
Hush and hark
To the sound of the Moon in the dark
To the sound that bids you to die...
Splendid verses, the jewel of 19th Century Scottish Poetry!

Old 07-01-2009, 07:35 PM

7,365 posts, read 5,480,532 times
I don't know if anyone would consider these bad authors but there are two books that were on the best seller list that I started reading like 3 or 4 times and I just could not get into. One was 'One Hundred Years of Solitude" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez and the other one was "The Emperor's Children" by Claire Messud.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:46 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,321,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Hotel New Hampshire (it's from Stephen King I think) was very boring too.
I, also, did not care for the book. It was boring. I kept wondering what the point was.
The movie was not too hot, either.

Last edited by Ketabcha; 07-01-2009 at 09:05 PM..

Old 07-03-2009, 02:00 AM

263 posts, read 251,117 times
Just recently I picked up The Mask of Nostradamus(along with some others) at the library. It was by someone I had never heard of. Thought the topic(Nostradamus) would make it interesting. I was wrong. What a piece of junk! I didn't get very far. And, I can't recall offhand, of any other time I didn't finish a book. I had barely started this one. Mentioned the book to my Dad, he said the guy who wrote it is a magician. Goes by the name, "Randi the Great." I googled him. James Randi, or as he calls himself, "The Amazing Randi." Says he is a magician and skeptic. Aha! He's been referred to as a "debunker," typically though, he would beg to differ, calls himself an investigator. What ever he is, I will never attempt to read anything by him again. Sorry, if anyone else likes that kind of stuff.

Old 07-03-2009, 02:24 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,465,073 times
Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams.

I love Sci-fi & read a ton in High School, but man, it was like pulling teeth to get thru that.

Old 07-03-2009, 05:32 AM

Just red

Old 07-03-2009, 05:37 AM

(ouups sorry) just read a paperback I found in a lodge while vacationing, I couldn't finish it but it seemed quite readable, it's the story of a British woman who, walking near a circle of ancient stones, is catapulted in 1950 two centuries back in the Highlands in Georgian Scotland, I lost the book unfortunately, the main character in the story is an evil Captain Randall of the Redcoats, and the heroin is dubbed Sassenach by the Scottish tribesmen ,does someone has a clue as to the author and title of this novel? (just forgot it...)

Old 07-03-2009, 07:52 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,489,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyLamb View Post
Just recently I picked up The Mask of Nostradamus(along with some others) at the library. It was by someone I had never heard of. Thought the topic(Nostradamus) would make it interesting. I was wrong. What a piece of junk! I didn't get very far. And, I can't recall offhand, of any other time I didn't finish a book. I had barely started this one. Mentioned the book to my Dad, he said the guy who wrote it is a magician. Goes by the name, "Randi the Great." I googled him. James Randi, or as he calls himself, "The Amazing Randi." Says he is a magician and skeptic. Aha! He's been referred to as a "debunker," typically though, he would beg to differ, calls himself an investigator. What ever he is, I will never attempt to read anything by him again. Sorry, if anyone else likes that kind of stuff.
The Amazing Randi used to be on Johnny Carson a lot, and I loved to watch him debunk. I've never read his books tho, in fact I didn't know he wrote books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books