Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2009, 03:26 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,373,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
The Sound and The Fury by William Faulkner. It's just one long drunken rant. At one point, I threw it across the room.
Hmmm, I may have to take this off my list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 08:39 AM

269 posts, read 1,070,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
Faulkner isn't for everyone. He's not my cup of tea, either, but there are a lot of people I respect who love him. One thing is for sure -- it isn't an "easy read".

All the Ulysses haters -- I sympathize but disagree. It's very hard to read and understand, plus it isn't 10% as good as some critics make it out to be. But it's still pretty good.

Joyce reminds me of what some wag said about Wagner's music: "It's better than it sounds."

My personal choice for the worst book I ever tried to read (repeatedly) would be The Color Purple.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:40 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,171,163 times
I've never liked anything written by Ayn Rand.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:58 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,690,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbarge View Post
Faulkner isn't for everyone. He's not my cup of tea, either, but there are a lot of people I respect who love him. One thing is for sure -- it isn't an "easy read".

All the Ulysses haters -- I sympathize but disagree. It's very hard to read and understand, plus it isn't 10% as good as some critics make it out to be. But it's still pretty good.

Joyce reminds me of what some wag said about Wagner's music: "It's better than it sounds."

My personal choice for the worst book I ever tried to read (repeatedly) would be The Color Purple.
Actually, Faulkner happens to be my favorite author. Which is why I hated TSATF, b/c it was almost nonsensical, especially compared with his other works, which I love. In short, I was seriously disappointed.
I also love Joyce but can also sympathize with Ulysees haters (that book is what I would call a "tome" and is difficult to get through for sheer size alone not to mention language and stream-of-consciousness-ness.)
I will be sure to stay away from TCP; I already saw (and liked) the movie anyway, but I can definitely see how its book-form would be hate-worthy.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:43 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,053,112 times
Just my opinion, but Brian Aldiss and James Joyce. I have yet to find an Aldiss book that makes sense, even the coherent ones are boring or insane...Helliconia #1 was about the most boring thing I have ever read, and don't get me started about the book where aliens communicate by eating each others poop. Joyce I find the most pointless and depressing thing have ever read, I hate to end a book where I am wondering weather to off myself.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:20 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,690,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Just my opinion, but Brian Aldiss and James Joyce. I have yet to find an Aldiss book that makes sense, even the coherent ones are boring or insane...Helliconia #1 was about the most boring thing I have ever read, and don't get me started about the book where aliens communicate by eating each others poop. Joyce I find the most pointless and depressing thing have ever read, I hate to end a book where I am wondering weather to off myself.
*LOL* You are so right about Joyce--he is depressing. I read "Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man" in highschool, though, and loved it b/c I was suffering from typical teen angst, so it was very cathartic and therapeutic. I am not familiar with Aldiss (and don't think that I ever will be.)
Some books you have to read at the right time. I am sure that if I read some Joyce now, I would find it very disturbing and depressing. But at the time, it was one of my favs for sheer dramatic melancholy alone

Old 06-02-2009, 01:20 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,386,066 times
Susan Howatch "Glamorous Powers". I'm 260 pages into the book and it's just awfully boring! Certainly not as interesting as the text on the back promises to be. I don't like putting a book away before finishing it but I guess I will make an exception.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:48 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,350,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
The Sound and The Fury was the first Faulkner I read and I actually really liked it. I picked it up to read it a 2nd time recently but couldn't get into it this time. But that first time I loved it. I'd say get it from the library and give it a shot.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:01 AM

837 posts, read 1,710,446 times
All kinds of opinions on Faulkner. Personally, I love him, but I could not get through Sound and Fury--but love the title. I did like (a lot) "Absalom, Absalom" and "As I Lay Dying". Also read "The Hamlet" part of a trilogy which I thought very good.
Just saying "The Sound and the Fury" may not be the best indicator of whether or not one likes Faulkner.

"The Oxford American" a southern literary magazine had a biographical article on Faulkner several years ago--was quite interesting. He did some screenwriting (1930's) because he couldn't support himself and family as a novelist.--Hated Hollywood.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:30 PM

2,733 posts, read 1,545,527 times
Default Me, too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
No One Here Gets Out Alive: The Biography of Jim Morrison by Jerry Hopkins and Daniel Sugerman

The writing is like this, "This happened, and then this happened, and then this happened, and then this happened, and then this happened..."
This book immediately crossed my mind when I saw this thread. I read the whole thing, but it took a while. I also really disliked American Taboo-A Murder in the Peace Corps (and I usually love true crime books) by Philip Weiss, and I just couldn't get into Body Surfing by Anita Shreve. Ugh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books