Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2009, 08:00 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,508,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
But I'm a fan of Hemingway, especially his short stories.
Hated The Old Man & the Sea when I read it in eighth grade. Read A Farewell to Arms in eleventh grade and liked it.

Hated The Great Gatsby in high school, re-read it in college and had a new-found appreciation for the novel.

Go figure...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 08:30 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,823,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyenative01 View Post
Hated The Old Man & the Sea when I read it in eighth grade. Read A Farewell to Arms in eleventh grade and liked it.

Hated The Great Gatsby in high school, re-read it in college and had a new-found appreciation for the novel.

Go figure...
A lot of the Jazz Age stuff doesn't scan well when you're young, I think. I thought Faulkner was tedious the first time I read some in high school, but it (or I) improved quite a bit on later readings. Likewise James Joyce's Dubliners did, although Ulysses will always be amongst my least favorite books on earth.

Raymond Carver took me a couple of attempts to really appreciate, too.

Last edited by PNW-type-gal; 03-15-2009 at 08:38 PM..

Old 03-16-2009, 08:45 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,500,274 times
I guess I'm opposite, PNW.

I went through an F. Scott Fitzgerald phase in high school, then discovered in my early twenties that perhaps the reason all his female characters are crazy and/or idiotic is that he's a completely misogynistic Freud-lover.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:54 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,925 times
My single worst book was My Little Blue Dress by Bruno Maddox. You know that old saying "don't judge a book by it's cover" - I should have listened to it. I picked up this book in an airport book store because I was attracted to the cover - bad decision. My Little Blue Dress begins as a memoir of a 100 year old woman but is actually a contrived memoir written by a sex crazed male author. About a third of the way through the book - after scratching your head about all of the historical inaccuracies like open toed sandals on this Victorian era young woman or sexual encounters at the village picnic - you begin to pick up on the understory of a rushed author who has commited to write a "memoir" of someone he is not. I know, it sounds like a clever premise, but it did not work - at all! I shoved it in the seat back pocket and left it there. It was a very, very long flight with only Sky Mall as my reading material.

Also, the only thing more dreadful than reading Nicholas Sparks is listening to six hours of it on audiotape read in a fake Southern accent.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
A lot of the Jazz Age stuff doesn't scan well when you're young, I think. I thought Faulkner was tedious the first time I read some in high school, but it (or I) improved quite a bit on later readings. Likewise James Joyce's Dubliners did, although Ulysses will always be amongst my least favorite books on earth.

Raymond Carver took me a couple of attempts to really appreciate, too.
Really liked Raymond Carver the first time I read Short Cuts as a junior in high school.

Despised Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man as a high school senior. Faulkner's still..."meh" to me, but I've always liked Tennessee Williams' plays.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:51 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
After reading "The Magus", which was quite good, I went on to read other books by John Fowles, and came to the conclusion that he was the worst writer in the world.

As for "Lord of the Rings", I read it twice---the second time out loud to my 7 year old son. It was a wonderful read for both of us.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:18 PM

Have you read Fowles "The Collector"? Pretty dark/disturbing, but I thought it was interesting watching the two main characters match wits with one another.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:55 PM

45 posts, read 126,298 times
Pledged
by Alexandra Robbins

Paris Hilton's book...i went to borders and read it there...horrible book, i am surely glad i didn't buy it...i read it out of morbid curiosity

also hated Grapes of Wrath

Old 03-25-2009, 03:42 AM

182 posts, read 104,522 times
Crossfire by Mike Bond is the worst book I have read (to date). I didn't care about any of the characters and was, frankly, glad when it was done.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:34 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
I bought Pillars of the Earth on Friday because I've been out of reading material for a while and it's been highly recommended on here. I read about a 100 pages and couldn't keep going. Geez Louise--how is this guy a best-selling author? Very early on he's describing Tom and his wife, Agnes, and writes, "She was his soul mate." As if that weren't schlocky enough, SPOILER ALERT, she dies about 50 pages later and within 24 hours a mysterious woman appears out of no where to have sex with him and about 6 hours after that he's telling her he wants to marry her. WTF?

Since the author is making the story up, why bother describing the first woman as his "soul mate" if within 2 days of his death he's proposing to another woman?????? Stupid, stupid, stupid. This is just one example, but I thought overall the dialogue was wooden and the characters reminded me of characters in a comic book.

Sorry to all the Pillars lovers out there! I know from this thread (one of my favorites, BTW) that I've loved some books you've hated too....

Last edited by Marlow; 03-30-2009 at 10:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books