Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2008, 10:05 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,143,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
However many pages back it was nominated and I second - "Wicked". I hated it, my sister hated it, my SIL hated it. Although someone saw my SIL reading it and said she loved it and was so excited to read "Son of a Witch". Ugh!! Horrible stuff.

I'm amazed by some of the books on this list. Thank goodness the books I read I base on my own opinion of the description rather than what strangers think since there are so many on this list that I loved. None of the chit-lit, romance stuff though. I stopped reading that years ago and can hardly stand to read it anymore. Only when I need to read something silly for a break - once or twice a year.
That was me about "Wicked". Just awful. I can't reading thinking that there has to be some redeeming factor by the end. Nope. Just a talentless mess. I'm with you on the books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 10:31 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,350,629 times
I couldn't even finish it. I think the last 75 pages I just skimmed. I actually liked I think the first 2 or 3 chapters - whatever it was when she was a little girl. But once she went away to school it was so painful.

My sister heard that the Broadway production isn't like the book though. Not that I'm rushing out to see it.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:12 AM

719 posts, read 2,617,851 times
Still Life With Woodpecker. Couldn't get half way thru before I tossed it. All the superlatives and sublimities about gagged me. ACK!!

Old 07-12-2008, 07:22 AM

179 posts, read 435,997 times
Can't stand anything by Umberto Eco. I also hate almost any romance books. Talk about the characters being out there. I also loved the movie Roots so got the book. That book ready like the Bible with so and so begot so and so.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:36 PM

26 posts, read 118,701 times
I hate danielle steele! I don't even know why she's such a well known author. I don't think she has any literary talent. Its like her ideas could possibly make a good story if she let someone else write them. I feel like she just says the same thing over and over. its so repetative. i get so bored. I would like to think that i am fairly open minded so i can tell when i read a book if its just my personal taste that makes me not like it or if its just bad in general.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:48 PM

822 posts, read 3,002,498 times
So a few years ago I read a book by Candace Bushnell, the author of Sex and the City. I think it was called 4 Blondes. Anyhow, one of the characters is an alum of Smith College (all female); then 10 pages later, she meets up with a guy she went to college with. Ugh!

Old 12-02-2008, 07:19 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
So nice to know I'm not alone! I would say ditto on the following:
Nicholas Sparks
Danielle Steele
John Grisham (ok, I'll admit I enjoyed the first couple - just as lazy reads but really, at some point, you're going to have to actually learn how to resolve the situation with using the witness protection program. Really)
Bridges of Madison County
Left Behind
Dan Brown
Anything on the Oprah list - extremely depressing

I just have to add - if anyone remembers it - The Celestine Prophecy. What was that about anyway?

Old 12-03-2008, 07:22 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,343,192 times
nice to see this thread was revived.

I'm always sorely disappointed by over hyped books that end up being horrible. most recent example is "Twilight". horribly written, cardboard "Mary Sue" and "Gary Stu" characters, and the main female character is the whiniest, worst protagonist on earth. and people have the gall to compare it to "Harry Potter"? it's no better than a drugstore Harlequin, bodice ripper romance but w/o the actual bodice ripping

I also hate the author blurbs on the back of most books. I picked up "The Ruins" by Scott Smith b/c Stephen King, who I love, gave it such rave reviews on the back of the book and i'd heard great things about his other book "A Simple Plan" (and I really liked that movie too). "The Ruins" was HORRIBLE! I literally threw the book across the room and wanted to rip it apart, but remembered it was a library book so didn't. I learned never to go by back-of-the-book reviews ever again after that book

worst book I've ever read? a few years ago, someone recommended a YA fantasy book to me called "The Prophecy of the Stones" by a French teen named Flava Bujor(sp). apparently, she was published at like 13 or something, got a lot of hype in France and was interviewed on the Today Show. the book was a jumbled mess of cliches, from the ridiculously cliched girls (the haughty princess, the aloof brainiac, the sweet peasant girl, all of them gorgeous BTW) to the Armies of Light and Darkness (gee, why not just called the the Armies of Good Guys and Bad Guys?), to the horrible amnesiac guy who was literally called the Chosen One. blah. the fact that it was translated from French and written by a teen gives it no excuse for it to be so horrific! I've read better fanfic!

oh, and for the most part, I try not to touch romance novels and cookie cutter thrillers. I just have this feeling that I know I've be disappointed w/ them

Old 12-03-2008, 08:04 PM

638 posts, read 1,918,185 times
Most of Dean Koontz. All he is is a Stephen King wannabe and sadly lacking.

I read about 5 of his books, Dragon Tears and Mr. Murder (a rip off of The Dark Half) were the 2 worst..

I can't stomach him.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:09 PM

638 posts, read 1,918,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv
Worst book? I dunno. I wouldn't waste my time finishing a book that I thought was lame.

Worst author, hands down in opinion, has to be Stephan King. He is just too effin long winded! The guy can spend twenty pages describing someone walking down the street; with nothing happening except that the guy is walking down the street. Total bore.
Yeah and the man considered one of THE best horror writers in history laughs his ass off all the way to the bank while people like ME keep buying. The man is a fricking genius. He doesn't try to play prentious like some of the other crap people claim to read to try to make people believe they are literary geniouses. Stephen King IMO is THE best. I own ALL his books popular and obscure. The man is my literary God

And as for the author that gets WAY too descriptive is Ann Rice. I loved Interview w/a Vampire though I had to skim over the times she insisted on describing crap down to buttons on a jacket or how the sky looked LOL

Tried The Vampire L'estat and all that was was a replace of Interview with a Vampire.

Last edited by lovinCarl; 12-03-2008 at 09:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books