Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2008, 11:30 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,451,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
"Wuthering Heights" by one of the Bronte sisters is the absolute worst book I have ever read....had to read it in high school.....and the Cliffnotes version was better.

Also "Angela's Ashes" by Frank McCourt was a terrible, boring, impossible book and I'm glad that man ain't writing no more.

I liked both of them. But I had to read "Wuthering Heights" again a few years after leaving school to be able to appreciate it. Somehow it is difficult to enjoy books you are obliged to read at school.

"Angela´s Ashes" is terribly sad but gives you a good description of the type of like many people lived in Ireland not many years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 06:31 PM

485 posts, read 1,953,142 times
''Moby Dick'' is pretty bad, too.

Mickey Spillaine should have re-written it, and called it, ''My Dick is Moby''.

Old 06-08-2008, 07:56 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
I actually liked a lot of the books I had to read from school, especially Shakespeare plays like Julius Caesar and Romeo Juliet and Dickens' Tale of Two Cities. Wuthering Hiehgts stands out as a boring, convoluted, poorly plotted rambling book.

Old 06-08-2008, 09:39 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,143,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krakenten View Post
''Moby Dick'' is pretty bad, too.

Mickey Spillaine should have re-written it, and called it, ''My Dick is Moby''.
Oh no, I loved Moby Dick, but I did see the movie first. I'm sure that made it easier to understand.

Last edited by laysayfair; 06-08-2008 at 09:41 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-11-2008, 07:01 AM

578 posts, read 2,529,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
I agree with that except for "The Reivers". One of the best, funniest, most entertaining stories ever!
The Reivers, you mean the flick with Steve McQueen? It was silly, and I think that the book would'nt be much different. IMHO

Old 06-11-2008, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I actually liked a lot of the books I had to read from school, especially Shakespeare plays like Julius Caesar and Romeo Juliet and Dickens' Tale of Two Cities. Wuthering Hiehgts stands out as a boring, convoluted, poorly plotted rambling book.
Any book that I HAD to read for a HS English class? Never helped me in my life, never brought home a paycheck, never lead to any conversation that made me seem witty, engaging or knowledgeable. So why did we have to waste all tht time reading the "Red Badge of Courage", Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, To Kill a Mockingbird, Of Mice & Men, etc. when we could have just rented the video? All those choices are stupid, unless you're into that specific genre; Romance novel for the Jane Eyre/W.Heights...Talk about dreck, mawkish dribble & too much self-introspection! OMG give it a rest already Bronte sisters! What makes it so bad? I turn on PBS for a good Masterpiece theatre? and what do I get? something that is BASED ON THESE sisters' real lives romance, yuck! who cares about some pretentious ugly Brit babes with too much time, and money on their hands?

Old 06-11-2008, 12:08 PM

502 posts, read 1,066,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeleenieWeenie View Post
Any book that I HAD to read for a HS English class? Never helped me in my life, never brought home a paycheck, never lead to any conversation that made me seem witty, engaging or knowledgeable. So why did we have to waste all tht time reading the "Red Badge of Courage", Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, To Kill a Mockingbird, Of Mice & Men, etc. when we could have just rented the video? All those choices are stupid, unless you're into that specific genre; Romance novel for the Jane Eyre/W.Heights...Talk about dreck, mawkish dribble & too much self-introspection! OMG give it a rest already Bronte sisters! What makes it so bad? I turn on PBS for a good Masterpiece theatre? and what do I get? something that is BASED ON THESE sisters' real lives romance, yuck! who cares about some pretentious ugly Brit babes with too much time, and money on their hands?
You basically just questioned why anyone would ever read a book when there're plenty of nice movies out there... Ignorant anti-intellectualism at work.

Maybe the Books Forum isn't the right place for ya.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:03 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,143,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeleenieWeenie View Post
The Reivers, you mean the flick with Steve McQueen? It was silly, and I think that the book would'nt be much different. IMHO
Oh god no! Don't judge the book by that wretched movie. Same title and little else. Yuck!
But on second thought if you didn't like "To kill a Mockingbird" or "Of mice and Men", then you won't like "The Reivers".

Last edited by laysayfair; 06-11-2008 at 11:10 PM.. Reason: add

Old 06-12-2008, 02:05 PM

1,113 posts, read 1,814,763 times
Mrs. Dalloway. Ugh. I haven't read any other Woolf so I can't compare, but bleh.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:20 PM

As I was turning the pages of Frank McCourt's "Angela's Ashes" I was hoping, pleading, "OMG, let something good happen to these people, when are they going to get a break?!?" But they never did. I guess I kept reading that sad story due to curiosity. But I like a good, mawkish Fairytale ending "living happily ever after hitting the Irish Sweepstakes with that last shilling she had for potato money".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books