Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2008, 07:06 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,448,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
The book Lovely Bones was highly recommended to me by so many people....I bought it and could not get into it. I couldn't get past the fact that this was a child telling her story of how she was molested and murdered and she is telling her own story. Too much for me. Gave me the creeps.
When I read it years ago, I found it a bit odd and unnerving too. I had just picked it up at the bookstore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 07:11 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
I'll go with people I think are great storytellers but bad writers: Stephen King and Danielle Steel.

Both can tell a whale of a story. Stephen King is just too wordy, and Danielle Steel has an annoying problem with sentence construction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadybug View Post
"The Good, The Bad, and The Very Ugly"-by Sondra Locke
Sondra Locke is able to string more than five words together at once? Amazing.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:15 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,448,185 times
There most definitely is a big difference between a great storyteller, and a great writer. I agree with you that some of King's works fall into the category of great storyteller instead of great writer, but he is such a modest person, himself, until I don't think he has ever referred to himself as a great writer -- prolific, I seem to recall.

Some of the best storytellers are lousy writers when you get down to it.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:27 PM

26,721 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
The book Lovely Bones was highly recommended to me by so many people....I bought it and could not get into it. I couldn't get past the fact that this was a child telling her story of how she was molested and murdered.
It seems as if a lot of people didn't like it. I thought Alice Sebold was a beautiful writer, though, and I couldn't put the book down. I felt that it demonstrated the healing power of grief. Out of such a horrific experience for the young girl, there seemed to be a measure of hope at the end.

My all time least favorite book: Faulkner's As I Lay Dying. I had to read it at age 20 and didn't understnad it at all. More than twice that many years later, I doubt that I'd comprehend any more of it.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:16 PM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
My all time least favorite book: Faulkner's As I Lay Dying. I had to read it at age 20 and didn't understnad it at all. More than twice that many years later, I doubt that I'd comprehend any more of it.
LOL Faulkner is not for everybody...my mother's family is from MS, so Faulkner makes total sense to me.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:22 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,500,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
It seems as if a lot of people didn't like it. I thought Alice Sebold was a beautiful writer, though, and I couldn't put the book down. I felt that it demonstrated the healing power of grief. Out of such a horrific experience for the young girl, there seemed to be a measure of hope at the end.
My mother gave me a copy of The Lovely Bones. I, too thought it was a beautiful novel.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:53 PM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
My mother gave me a copy of The Lovely Bones. I, too thought it was a beautiful novel.
Same idea, better treatment: Behind You, by Jacqueline Woodson

Old 07-04-2008, 09:29 AM

428 posts, read 1,630,804 times
"How Green Was My Valley" by Richard Llewellyn. Thought it would never end.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:36 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,373,179 times
Quote:
The book Lovely Bones was highly recommended to me by so many people....I bought it and could not get into it. I couldn't get past the fact that this was a child telling her story of how she was molested and murdered and she is telling her own story. Too much for me. Gave me the creeps.
And then, it just got ridiculous, with her coming back long enough to have sex with her boyfriend. One of the worst books I've ever read.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:54 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,373,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane. That book really cheats the reader. The book is marketed as a police detective story and it is at first. But half way through it takes a turn into what you'd see in any number of Twilight Zone episodes. It starts out with 2 police detectives traveling to an island off the coast of Boston to investigate a murder at a mental institution. Halfway through the book you start realizing that (spoiler) they are actually inmates in the institution and this all a fantasy. Total ripoff.
I disagree, and so do a ton of people who read it, including the critics. Not that I agree with them so much. As far as knowing how it turns out, thats the case of practically every book I've ever read. I can't even think of a book that had a surprise ending. If any of you have read one that did have one, please let me know. I would love to read it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books