Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2009, 02:50 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,372,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
His book which was made into movie with Sean Connery as a monk wasn't that bad.
What book was that? I tried to read Foulcat's Pendulum, but it gave me a headache.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 02:53 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,372,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afishwithabike View Post
The Lovely Bones

The premise of the story is intriguing but that's the only interesting thing. The story is a completely let down. I hated the unbelievable scene in the middle with the boyfriend and the ending wasn't satisfying at all.
I think this has to be one of the top hated books. I wanted to quit reading after the unbelievable scene with the boyfriend, but for reason, kept reading. I wish I would have stopped. Heck, I wish I had never wasted my time reading it.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:10 PM

29,742 posts, read 34,372,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
What book was that? I tried to read Foulcat's Pendulum, but it gave me a headache.
The Name of the Rose? I read it, but I skimmed over a hell of a lot about medieval religious sects.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:30 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,733,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
The Name of the Rose? I read it, but I skimmed over a hell of a lot about medieval religious sects.
Yes, it's The Name of The Rose. I thought the book was interesting with a medieval detective 'who has done it?' style.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:54 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,551,673 times
The worst ones I don't finish.

A Voyage to Arcturus I was unable to finish as it was too weird for me. Upside, or downside, of its weirdness is I do remember it.

Of books I finished I really disliked Gateway by Fred Pohl even though it's apparently beloved in the genre.

Outside SF/F A Separate Peace by John Knowles. I almost forgot how much that book annoyed me. That might be my least favorite book among ones I've finished, ahead of even that Pohl book. Of literary books I failed to finish I'm not sure.

Last edited by Thomas R.; 10-11-2009 at 12:21 AM.. Reason: forgot the most obvious.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:55 AM

11,759 posts, read 14,648,815 times
I owe a lot to James Fenimore Cooper. He is the author who taught me that there are so many good books in the world that I don't need to finish every bad book I start.

Among books I read all the way to the end, mainly for my book group, I would list as outstandingly bad:

Death Comes for the Archbishop--Willa Cather
Zorro--Isabel Allende
The Golden Bowl--Henry James
The Good Soldier--Ford Madox Ford.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:04 AM

1,422 posts, read 2,303,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I loved TTTW, but I read it years before the hype.

Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code was like reading a comic book without the pictures.

The Red Tent was written as if for fifth graders, and almost all of the male characters were one dimensional.
LOL

I've just had to read The Red Tent - it was awful. Like being given a gigantic overdose of oestrogen.

A conveyor belt of childbirth and menstruation and like pulling teeth to read - every other page was about someone giving birth, wanting to give birth, being jealous because someone else had given birth, wanting to get their period, getting their period etc etc etc

I could not find a single character in the book that I really related to or liked (not even the narrator) and found myself having to constantly refer back to the "family tree" at the front of the book to try and keep up with who was whose cousin/aunt/uncle/brother whatever - whilst all the time not really caring anyway

Old 01-25-2010, 06:08 AM

1,422 posts, read 2,303,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
A mention of Tom Wolfe in another thread reminded me that the worst book I've read in a long time is his I Am Charlotte Simmons. It was really terrible--which I suppose is to be expected when a 70ish effete writer attempts a narrative about modern university life.

LOL!!! So true

I agree - I loved The Bonfire Of The Vanities and decided to read I Am Charlotte Simmons on the strength of it - big mistake - it was terrible.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:13 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,069,117 times
I took THE RED TENT out of the library, never got to it. I didn't like page 1 and had better books to read.

I can't recall the worst book I ever read because like many of you, I just won't finish it if I don't like it!

As an English major I was exposed to a lot of writer but I am still not a Hemmingway fan. I suppose his writing has it's merits but I will not sit down and ever say "Wow, let me read some Hemmingway" for enjoyment. I can't get into his writing, his characters...maybe it is 'too sparse?'

Old 01-25-2010, 07:55 AM

497 posts, read 1,176,205 times
Stephen King's "Under the Dome" was lousy. I couldn't wait to dive into that book. It started off fine and was very promising. About 100 pages in all I could think was, "I have 1000 more pages of this crap."

I also king Cormac McCarthy hard to read. I enjoyed "No Country for Old Men" and immediately ordered "Suttree." I can't read it. He takes 3 pages to say what he could have said in one.

I also don't get the appeal people have for Nicholas Sparks books. I can't read that fluff.

I hated "The Lovely Bones" and also find Jodi Piccoult way overrated.

And I can't recall his name now, but whomever wrote "The Bridges of Madison County" should be barred from ever picking up a pen again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books