Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 10:39 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,446,746 times

Advertisements

Too funny, karibear! Having read 300 other works, I'll bet you could contribute great insights to class discussions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 10:42 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,132,762 times
My DH and I both enjoy reading historical novels. But, in that format you get a biased and sometimes warped account of history.

One of the most interesting ways to fine-tune my history knowledge is by reading biographies of men and women from the past that I admire or am curious about. In the process I am introduced to a wonderful history lesson.

The book of the moment is Presidential Courage, Brave Leaders and How They Changed America (1789-1989) by Michael Beschloss. It is a stirring collection of moments in American history that hung in the balance on a President's words and actions.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:15 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,321,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
Too funny, karibear! Having read 300 other works, I'll bet you could contribute great insights to class discussions.
The discussions were great! And thank heaven for them - it made it a lot easier to separate fact from 'artistic license' in my case. But the teacher was the most fun of all, she was a political activist, it was a junior high class, and it was absolutely a major no-no to so much as mention religion, money [as in personal incomes], sex, or politics in the classroom. There were times she'd nearly choke, she wanted so badly to say something that would get her fired if she did.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
The discussions were great! And thank heaven for them - it made it a lot easier to separate fact from 'artistic license' in my case. But the teacher was the most fun of all, she was a political activist, it was a junior high class, and it was absolutely a major no-no to so much as mention religion, money [as in personal incomes], sex, or politics in the classroom. There were times she'd nearly choke, she wanted so badly to say something that would get her fired if she did.
I had the same history teacher all through junior high (7th-9th in my day) who was a carbon copy of your teacher, karibear, although male.

He was a wonderful exciting teacher who made us love historical events like they were a birthday party! That is when my love of history began. From then on, it became up to me to carry on with my history studies because there was never another teacher like our Mr. Morris.

He read to us frequently from It All Started with Columbus. It was a riotous book that presented a David Steinberg type of recounting of historical events. I wonder if anyone else has ever come across it. I have tried over the last 40 years to find a copy of it, and was this close once [------], but it was out of print at the time.

I would love to hear if anyone else ever read it. I believe it was a series, i.e. It All Started with Alexander the Great, and so on.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:23 PM

YES! Those It All Started With. . . books are by Richard Armour, that I mentioned earlier. They are absolutely hilarious. I used to share It All Started with Shakespeare with my HS students. The 'tests' at the end of each chapter are a scream. I used to copy the 'tests,' and put one on the overhead from time to time as a pop quiz. Inevitably, some poor kid would think it was real, and I was crazy.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:33 PM

Wink Small world; great minds, RDSLOTS!!

Quote:
YES! Those It All Started With. . . books are by Richard Armour, that I mentioned earlier. They are absolutely hilarious. I used to share It All Started with Shakespeare with my HS students. The 'tests' at the end of each chapter are a scream. I used to copy the 'tests,' and put one on the overhead from time to time as a pop quiz. Inevitably, some poor kid would think it was real, and I was crazy.
That is so funny, Rdslots. I have requested this book from bookstores in every city we have lived in and all of the national bookstores.

I just logged onto Amazon - and guess what they are carrying. Yep, used copies of It All Started with Columbus right up to 1963. I ordered a copy, pronto!!

I am so happy that this title came to mind and you also are familiar with it. Wasn't that a fun book to read?

My reading tastes are ecclectic, that is for certain, and it sounds like yours are, also!

Old 03-05-2008, 07:51 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,321,642 times
Quote:
He wrote a bunch of other books as well. My favorite was his version of Little Red Riding Hood, in his case known as Ladle Rat Rotten Hut. I was still in the primary grades when I found it stashed in my granny's attic, and it took me awhile to figure out that it had to be read aloud. The beginning fascinated me, and I really wanted to know what 'Wants pawn atom' meant! Eventually I had one of those Aha! moments, and realized it was to be read aloud. I don't remember what any of the others were called, but I think there was one called something like Anguished English. Or maybe not.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:40 PM

Wink We need serious history literature sprinkled heavily with exciting historical setting stories.

You are quite right, karibear. You have both rattled my memory tonight. Adorable, silly stories. There was another he wrote about Cinderella. I would only hazard a guess at the title. I think it was meant to be "The Glass Slipper", but was probably more like the "The Glab Slibber".

We might look at children's books such as Richard Armour's and think that they are not exactly the caliber of Aesop's Fables, but they do fill a niche for children.

Childhood is about play-learning. All of life's lessons are very serious happenings to those of us who are our children's nurturers, but simply play and creative fun things to the children. They learn, not in spite of, but because of their carefree spirit of adventure. This is true of their literature, also.

I'm sure that Richard Armour's stories created dedicated readers where none existed before. Children often become enthusiastic readers of history books as a result of reading historical novels that capture their interests for adventure, exploration, horse-back riding and great duels!

We were probably among those young readers who loved Mark Twain's The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. Although, not a history book, it is a historical setting book. A wonderful place for young ones to begin.

Last edited by gemkeeper; 03-05-2008 at 10:49 PM.. Reason: added a thought

Old 03-06-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemkeeper View Post
. . .We might look at children's books such as Richard Armour's and think that they are not exactly the caliber of Aesop's Fables, but they do fill a niche for children.
. . . eek! witten for the kiddies? Oh, my! Well, I am, first and foremost, a kid. My husband still gives me stuffed animals -- mainly Jack Russell Terriers, thinking I won't notice I have the stuffed one, and he has absconded with MY dog.

I'd love to get my hands on some of these titles ya'll have mentioned. I am only familiar with the It All Started With . . . series, and they used to fill an entire shelf at our public library years ago. I went through them like a kid with jelly beans or M&Ms at holiday time, laughing so hard I hurt. I'd try to read sections aloud to my Dad, and couldn't get through it. And like I said, I always used them in my classroom. The Shakespeare one was great -- the drawings were hilarious, even.

My tastes in books, and just about everything, are incredibly eclectic, which can present problems, Gem, when it comes to shelving/organizing my library. Just where do I put some of these? My Armour Shakespeare is tucked-in with my beautiful, leather-bound volumes of his plays, of course!

How neat that we can share these great reading experiences, karibear. . . and have a good laugh, too.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:52 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,650,074 times
Here's a good one, though it may not provide enough info. It's extremely interesting, though:

Amazon.com: Booknotes: Stories from American History: Brian Lamb: Books
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books