Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2008, 09:15 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,435,815 times

Advertisements

OK, if you change your mind, let me know .
Wait to go to Germany until the US$ gains again, if you can, this year everything will be extremely expensive. Which will make it a lot easier to resist buying things I don't really need.... I hope your daughter will enjoy being there, if she goes! The world is getting smaller all the time, or so it seems!

One interesting thing in Germany is that books are all available at a set price, which is keeping the smaller bookstores in business, at least for now. They only mark down, damaged books, or "remnants". But new books are sold for the same price everywhere. Not sure how long this will last though and if it changes, no doubt that will be the end of many independent book stores.

forum rules, please read them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 09:32 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,114,518 times
Yes, the dollar is pretty low these days and not the best time to go to Europe w/o Euros in the bank. Until EAB went under I kept some funds in the bank in Amsterdam; not anymore.

As for the daughter, she did a project with some landscape architects from Germany last year and I believe they invited her to consider joining them. It wouldn't be immediate, but she appears to love Germany.

It's interesting about book pricing and how that influences booksellers. I always found paperbacks in Amsterdam the same price, but I had so many excellent friends who read, we often just traded and I kept the florin in my pocket.

If they change the pricing in Germany, it will affect and have an effect on the independents...sadly.

And, no I'm not going to change my mind. I wanted some Schmincke--very expensive here--but I can live without it.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:18 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,446,746 times
I finished The Wall just a few days ago. Initially, I just sort of mull-over what I've read -- have these "little conversations" in my head (the voices speak to me ) -- and then I can put together my impressions, thoughts, and feelings.

So, now I'm ready, but the Forum isn't. LOL. So, I'll save it.

In the meanwhile, I will try again to get my hands on a a copy of The Road since ontheroad and others have alluded to the two works lending themselves nicely to a joint discussion. I may just have to order Cormac McCarthy's work.

You Guys had also mentioned a discussion of Reading Lolita in Tehran? I read it several years ago, too. What have you thought? I loved the opportunity of seeing the women in the burkas for themselves, how much like us, even, they are. Which looks 'funny' here in print, like what did I think they were? behind those burkas?

Old 04-25-2008, 08:42 AM

Yes, there may be some compare and contrast between the Wall and the Road, dependent on the participants.

BTW, katzenfreund is away as of today, and I too will be away most of May, but please do chatter box away.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:27 AM

139 posts, read 153,450 times
Good Book:

Amusing Ourselves To Death...
Public Discourse in the Age of Show Business, by Neil Postman

A VERY good read, indeed...

Old 04-26-2008, 01:31 PM

3,567 posts, read 3,735,181 times
Don't bother with "My Best Friend's Girl" unless you are into glorified romance novels. It is touching and sweet, but it is (IMO) fluff.

Started "A Confederacy of Dunces" & "The Book of Air and Shadows". I hope that they will be better.

So far "A Confederacy of Dunces" has bite.

Old 04-26-2008, 01:45 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,013,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulegirl View Post

So far "A Confederacy of Dunces" has bite.
"My valve!"

Old 04-26-2008, 01:55 PM

Translation, please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
"My valve!"

Old 04-26-2008, 05:34 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,013,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Translation, please!
In the book Confederacy of Dunces, Ignatius Reilly has a heart condition, and repeatedly refers to his "valve."
Snippet:
"sight of his mother in full regalia always slightly appalled his valve"

Old 04-26-2008, 05:53 PM

Thanks. I do believe on your recommendation I bought Dunces...it's waiting impatiently to be read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
In the book Confederacy of Dunces, Ignatius Reilly has a heart condition, and repeatedly refers to his "valve."
Snippet:
"sight of his mother in full regalia always slightly appalled his valve"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books