Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 07:43 PM

471 posts, read 1,508,563 times

Advertisements

The Diary of Anne Frank by Anne (13-14 years old)

And to think she never realized anyone would be reading her words, her most intimate thoughts, complaints about the Van Daans, her dreams (literally, and her goals.)

Made me teary eyed the other night (rereading it currently) when she had her 1st kiss. I'm really glad she had a few of those before everything else came along...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 02:59 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,431,088 times
David McCullough's biography of Truman made me fall in love with the man. Growing up, I'd always heard such negative things about him and I now know it was just dullards talking, repeating what they had heard, never having looked into what the man was made of.

I also loved Golda Meir's autobiography; she was such a remarkable lady. In fact, I'm about to re-read it.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:46 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,229,511 times
Voodoo Child: The Illustrated Legend of Jimi Hendrix.
I luv the way Sienkiewicz's art mixes the words (story), photorealistic images and the musical note symbols and transform each page into a perfect painting.
The graphic art was as unconventional as Hendrix' music.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:17 PM

14 posts, read 38,452 times
Gal by Ruthie Bolton

*I don't know what it was, but I have read a lot of books and I read this over 6 years ago and I can't seem to forget it......

Old 06-25-2008, 07:37 PM

286 posts, read 1,322,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldsky View Post
The Diary of Anne Frank by Anne (13-14 years old)

And to think she never realized anyone would be reading her words, her most intimate thoughts, complaints about the Van Daans, her dreams (literally, and her goals.)

Made me teary eyed the other night (rereading it currently) when she had her 1st kiss. I'm really glad she had a few of those before everything else came along...
Ditto - this was the first autobiograpy I remember reading, and it made a HUGE impact. I was around 12 when I read it, so it made me really think, since she was so young and close to my own age.

I can't say I enjoyed Night by Elie Wiesel, but it certainly made me think. I also had an opportunity to hear him speak, and his quiet manner had a huge impact on his audience. It was more what he didn't say that really touched me. Very moving.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:13 AM

23,450 posts, read 44,061,014 times
My Left Foot by Christy Brown, one of the most life-affirming things I've ever read and also inspiring to me as a mother.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:00 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,997,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkb826 View Post
It's Not about the Bike-- Lance Armstrong-- a suggested read to anyone who has been touched by cancer
That would be my choice as well

Old 06-26-2008, 09:49 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,446,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensgirl View Post
Ditto - this was the first autobiograpy I remember reading, and it made a HUGE impact. I was around 12 when I read it, so it made me really think, since she was so young and close to my own age.

I can't say I enjoyed Night by Elie Wiesel, but it certainly made me think. I also had an opportunity to hear him speak, and his quiet manner had a huge impact on his audience. It was more what he didn't say that really touched me. Very moving.

Lucky you, getting to meet Wiesel.

I don't think one is supposed to necessarily enjoy reading Night. For contrast, read his work Dawn -- he becomes the captor. It may well surprise you. I also enjoyed his Memoirs, which he divided into years. He wrote a beautiful speech, acknowledging the Nobel he was awarded. I am thrilled he works with young people today, teens, in an effort that the Holocaust is not forgotten, and events like it can be avoided, even today.

Most inspiring man.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:02 PM

286 posts, read 1,322,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
Lucky you, getting to meet Wiesel.

I don't think one is supposed to necessarily enjoy reading Night. For contrast, read his work Dawn -- he becomes the captor. It may well surprise you. I also enjoyed his Memoirs, which he divided into years. He wrote a beautiful speech, acknowledging the Nobel he was awarded. I am thrilled he works with young people today, teens, in an effort that the Holocaust is not forgotten, and events like it can be avoided, even today.

Most inspiring man.
I actually have a copy of Dawn, so I'll have to read it. As to the term "enjoy", sorry - mis-wrote. It certainly had a great impact on me when I read it. It saddened me greatly, to think how cruel mankind can be. I read the book right before I saw Wiesel speak. I was amazed at how at peace the man seemed. He truly shows the power of the human spirit.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:29 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,446,746 times
When I was teaching, I always used Night in my World Lit class, and I had the paragraph where he discusses arriving at Auschwitz, and talking about how he will never forget that night. I would have the students analyze the structure of the paragraph, and literally count the number of times "night" was used, and find the supporting sentences. It was wonderful as a teaching tool for effective writing too.

If you've not read Dawn, it will surprise you. Weisel is the captor, and it is nothing like you might think.

I enjoyed his Memoirs, especially those where he discusses the early years, following the war, and going to France. I'd love to meet the man.

On another note, I was never so dismayed as when O! made it her book club selection -- while I applaud her valiant efforts to get the public to read, it just felt like she had cheapened his work, was almost disrespectful to me (and I know that was never her intent).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books