Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 09:07 PM

89 posts, read 536,913 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone. I was not unhappy with the ending of the 4th book, just sad that it had to end. I will have to check out some of the recommendations!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 12:39 AM

2,278 posts, read 3,922,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post

Summing up the series:

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E

"Girl meets sparkly vampire, fall in sparkly love, have sparkly abstinence because sex outside of marriage isn't sparkly. Have sparkly angst, sparkly stalking, sparkly obsessive controlling behavior for three books, then have sparkly marriage followed by sparkly sex which results in sparkly (and gory) pregnancy. Ex-boyfriend falls in love with sparkly baby.
The end.

Moral: ethically, morally and legally objectionable actions are ok if they sparkle."

Oh, and speaking of sparkles
Product Details Page

you forgot... DAZZLE!!

Old 04-20-2009, 08:07 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,347,725 times
For a sci Fi thriller try Dean Koontz Frankenstein series, can't wait for the 3rd book coming out in May!

Old 04-20-2009, 09:40 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,153,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skhimmelreich View Post
Thanks everyone. I was not unhappy with the ending of the 4th book, just sad that it had to end. I will have to check out some of the recommendations!
I also love the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. Her books are huge as well (700 pages usually). They also follow a love story (but the characters have sex) between a woman who accidentally time travels and the Scottish Highlander she meets when she gets transported to Scotland in the 18th century. The time travel part is very small, so it's not a sci-fi book. The love story is one that will make you melt. Jaime (the hero) is absolutely amazing and I love Claire (the heroine) who is as strong as she needs to be to maneuver throughout this new world even though everyone thinks she's a witch (and we all know what happened to anyone accused of witchcraft back then).

I literally fell in love with the series and found myself wandering around the bookstore hoping to find a book and author that would draw me in the way Diana Gabaldon does. Twilight is one of those series but it's a bit more "juvenile" (though not in a bad way...just more innocent).

Be warned however, that these books are not made for skimming. Ms. Gabaldon has a tendency to introduce a character that you think is only a minor one and they come back in a big way later in the story. Made that mistake once and had to re-read nearly the entire thing!

Also, and I know there are Outlander fans out there who will kill me for this, but I would only read the first 3 novels. The rest of the series gets kind of tiring. So, Outlander, Dragonfly in Amber and then Voyager. Dragonfly in Amber has one heck of a cliff hangar so make sure you've got Voyager handy or else you'll be like me who was standing outside Barnes and Noble literally with my nose pressed to the glass waiting for them to open!

The books are very involved (and the sex makes it not for teenagers) but if you want a book that will suck you in to the point that you will be on a mission to get through it and cleaning the house/making dinner/taking a shower be damned , you will enjoy the first three. If you find yourself absolutely enthralled by the series, you can read the others, but you will be satisfied if you stop at novel 3. It's a pretty decent wrap up, but leaves a small opening for the sequels that follow.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:59 AM

2 posts, read 3,520 times
Why dont u try the PC Cast books of House of Night Their kind of okay, even taught I havent even read Twilight (not my cup of tea lol)

House of Night is even going to be release in a movie also XD

I read the first book it started kind of slow but at the end it got me interested! lol Im not much into teen books but u may like them Luck!

Old 09-22-2009, 09:15 AM

1,995 posts, read 3,377,628 times
Have you read any of Laura Kinsales' books? Also, you might like the Phillippa Carr series. If you choose hers be sure to read them in order since each book is about the daughter of the heroine of the last book (except the first). Both of these authors write historical romance novels and are really good.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:44 PM

15 posts, read 36,901 times
Have you tried The Host by Stephanie Myers? It's pretty good too. If you're looking for a good romance, try one of Lynn Kurland's. This Is All I Ask is good, it's historical romance with comical twists.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:35 PM

89 posts, read 201,849 times
Default I concur

Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
I also love the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon.
Funny, I was also going to recommend Outlander. Great series!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books