Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 07:20 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,869,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I hated that story as a kid and I still do, lol.

I loved The Little Princess, which was the expanded version of Sara Crewe.

I remember reading and re-reading several times a book called The Spinning Wheel Secret about a colonial girl whose mother is kidnapped in an Indian raid and who is left with a relative but takes off on her own to go find her mother.

Read all the Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys books, as well as another series, Cherry Ames, about a nurse.

Read the whole shelf of biographies of famous Americans in the children's library in my town.

And around 12 or so, I read this great book called Addie Pray, about a con man and his daughter traveling during the Great Depression. A part of the book was made into the movie Paper Moon starring Ryan and Tatum O'Neal. The best part, their biggest con, isn't in the movie.
I had one of the Cherry Ames books. And I had several of the Trixie Belden books, too. I remember particularly a book called The Girl Scouts at Mystery Mansion by Mildred Wirt who was one of the authors of the Nancy Drew books. And The Yearling. Gregory Peck was too big to play Penny Baxter. But something about Peter Pan struck me as unbearably sad, a little boy so afraid to grow up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 02:00 PM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
I don't remember my favorite little kid's books except for Babar and Peter Rabbit. I think the Babar one was called Babar's Voyage.

A little bit older: Lord of the Flies, Animal Farm, 1984, Fahrenheit 451, A Wrinkle In Time, the Bobbsey Twins series, the Nancy Drew series, the Cherry Ames series as well as any Agatha Christie mystery, spy books and sci fi like Heinlein's Podkayne of Mars.

I still have the paperback Agatha Christie books I read when I was in Junior High and High School. I think if I touch them they'll turn to dust. One that she wrote under another name cost 10 cents.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:24 AM

5,024 posts, read 8,892,573 times
I was wondering if anyone remembered a children's book about a young girl in a girl's school in France. I can't remember the title nor the author. Then there was a second book about the same girl in the same school celebrating Bastille Day.

I loved all those Laura Ingalls Wilder, Bobbsey Twins, Trixie Belden, Nancy Drew books! And the Island of the Blue Dolphin!

I remember our fifth grade teacher reading to us on Friday afternoons Sam Levinson's Everything but Money. Even fifth graders laughed at that book.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:06 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,305,888 times
I loved "Goodnight Moon" and Alexander The Horse.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:03 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,812,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
I was wondering if anyone remembered a children's book about a young girl in a girl's school in France. I can't remember the title nor the author. Then there was a second book about the same girl in the same school celebrating Bastille Day.
Would that be Madeline?

Old 10-24-2009, 11:45 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,899,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Would that be Madeline?
Good call!

Sounds like it.

Welcome to Madeline.com - The Official Madeline Site

Old 10-25-2009, 04:44 PM

179 posts, read 489,520 times
What's For Lunch Charley. I loved that book! As a kid who grew up a bit rough this book made me want to sit in that fancy restaurant...

Old 10-25-2009, 05:08 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,482,221 times
Elephant's Child--Rudyard Kipling

Hoppy, the Grasshopper

The Bear Who Lived By Himself

Goldilocks and the 3 Bears

The Bobsey Twins series

Nancy Drew

Ben and Me

Secret Garden

Misty of Chiconteague

a few more

Old 10-26-2009, 09:11 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,383,356 times
I didn't read any books as a child. Does curious george, charlie brown, dr. seuss, garfield and clifford the dog count? Those were the only books in my elementary school classroom. That and Readers digest.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:46 PM

726 posts, read 2,268,890 times
The Witches was great. I love Roald Dahl too, my fave book of his back then was "James and the Giant Peach", I liked the movie adaption too.

I also loved the Amelia Bedelia series. It was so hilarious, my mom loved it too.
And then some random others, I have to look them up cause I cant remember some titles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books