Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 07:37 AM

26,722 posts, read 26,798,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
I enjoyed the movie, What Dreams May Come.
I agree. That was a really interesting book and they did a good job with the movie in capturing the unique nature of the story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 03:20 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,998,503 times
The only thing that really pisses me off is when they change the story. If they change the order of events, eliminate key characters, or change the ending is when I get disappointed.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:50 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,751,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
movies based on Stephen King books are often hit of miss and I worry how my favorite SK books of all, the Dark Tower series, would fare as a movie(s) (rumor is JJ Abrams is looking adapt the books to film, so I have some faith in him)
One of the things I've noticed when an SK book is made into a movie, it seems to be better when he retains creative control. An example would be The Shining. The first movie with Jack Nicholson was good, but when it was redone with SK at the reins, it was much better and followed the book a lot more closely. That rumor about JJ Abrams - does it include Mr. King having any input? If so I would be interested. But, if they are just going to 'base' a film or series of films on the books, I'd probably be disappointed in the films. For instance, I was reading the other day about the making of the newest Harry Potter movie and the list of characters and events left out of the movie was pathetic! I mean, how can they think the scenes with Dumbledore at the Dursley's with Harry inheriting the house elf, Kreacher from Sirius wasn't important to the continuing story?

Old 07-07-2009, 08:04 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
I enjoyed the movie, What Dreams May Come. Got it on VHS from a friend who thought it might help me through my grief after my husband died - and it did. Never knew there was a book, though. Who's the author so I can look for a copy of the book? (Sometimes reading a book after having seen the movie can make the experience even better.)
Found it in a few minutes searching on Ebay! Should have my copy in about a week.
My grandmother gave me that book many many years ago; it had comforted her when my dad died. I thought the movie was okay.

I agree with Maciesmom and MarkS that books and movies are different media and that getting the *heart* of the book correct is the most important goal for the filmmakers.

It's hard for me to list my worst-books-into-movies because I did not bother seeing any of them.
How the Grinch Stole Christmas comes to mind, also Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.
One of my pet peeves is the horrid adaptation of Winnie-the-Pooh by Disney. I love animation, don't get me wrong.
However, they made Christopher Robin's world so cutesy and precious.
They even invented new characters.
This "rebranding" happens a lot with Disney. Probably many kids today don't even know the original Christopher Robin--they only know the wretched substitute.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:38 PM

256 posts, read 452,990 times
While books and film ARE different media, there is no reason why one can't stay true to the books and especially the characters in the books.

I'm particularly ticked off with Prince Caspian. Scenes that don't belong to the book at all, nor to the story are incorporated. There was no "grand battle" in Prince Caspian.

I had been rather optimistic when The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe came out. I thought the casting was brilliant - especially Lucy. But Prince Caspian just fell apart. I was all the more distressed because Douglas Gresham, C.S. Lewis' stepson, was one of the producers of each. He's supposed to have a tight fist around Lewis' works, particularly Narnia. I'm really disappointed. The stories of Narnia are so evocative in and of themselves, they just don't need "fiddling with!"

Old 07-07-2009, 05:10 PM

Location: I will be escaping Suck City and landing in Tampa in December
346 posts, read 910,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Another example would be L.A. Confidential. Great book where the filmmakers had to "interpret" or "adapt" the gist of the book and did so brilliantly.
It is remarkable how Curtis Hanson distilled that bloated, meandering, boring book into a crisp, tight, fascinating film. This is my favorite example of a movie that PWNS the book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Dracula is a good example. Good book. It's never been turned into a good movie that even approached the central themes of the novel. And the tendency of the past few film versions to try to turn it into some sort of tragic romance is just silly.
This is one of the greatest Victorian novels of all time. I agree, the movie adaptions have been....disappointing. It is a big book with a complex construction, with different narrative voices.

I think Atonement, by Ian McEwan, was a great book, but the movie tried to focus on the tragic romance, while changing the actual ending of the book. I'm trying to remember the actual ending--I seem to think Briony, the main character, made up a "redemption meeting", in the book, which never took place in the movie. The ending of the book was very controversial for some people....maybe another reader of this one can shed some light. I'm racking my brain a bit....

Old 07-08-2009, 08:59 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,089,634 times
To Kill a Mockingbird has always been, for me, the best book to film version I ever saw. It maintained the key dialogue, the atmosphere, and stayed true to the plot. No contrivances for a broader audience or glitz to lure the short-attentioned span.
Too many times a book could be a wonderful film but they have to change the setting--instead of a unique interesting locale they bring it to L.A. and have a bunch of subplots and side characters that are meant to catch the attention of the dull-minded and ruin the work in the process.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:04 AM

661 posts, read 2,896,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morningstar77 View Post
Don't you just wish they'd have a disclaimer on the title, like 'based on...such and such book'? My favorite book from the 70's was made into a movie and I was so excited to see it. And then so disappointed. It was What Dreams May Come, and while I usually enjoy Robin Williams, felt he was so miscast. While it was not bad, it did fall short of the spirit of the book. But it was big budget and I suppose they needed big star power. They have to sell that movie to more than the avid book readers. So sometimes they take huge liberties with a film.
This was a rare case when I enjoyed both the book and the movie. Initially I felt Robin Williams was wrong for the part, though I am a fan of his. But after many viewings, he grows on you. The movie was good in its own right. Some of the scenes were so unusual and beautiful. The movie was much better than I expected it to be and I enjoy both versions of the story.

Another Richard Matheson book-into-movie was "Bid Time Return", filmed as Somewhere in Time. I saw the movie first, then hunted down the book. This was the only time I could remember actually liking the movie better. Jane Seymour and Christopher Reeve were such a beautiful couple in the movie and the filming on Mackinac Island was gorgeous, as was the music. I was really disappointed in the main character in the book - he just struck me as a weenie. I do like Matheson's style of telling a story, though, and the book was a keeper.

ABSOLUTELY WORST CASE OF BOOK INTO MOVIE John Irving's A Prayer for Owen Meany filmed as Simon Birch. This is one of my all-time most-loved books. I don't know how many times I've read it and thoroughly enjoyed it every time. AAAAHHHHHH!! SACRILEGE!! Just as I dread having The Dark Tower series made into a movie, I was SO leary of a film version of Owen Meany. If I remember correctly, John Irving distanced himself from the film and it ended up having a caveat of something like, "a scene or two is vaguely, incredibly loosely, possibly based on the book."

Old 07-09-2009, 12:40 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,965,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
I read Pet Cemetery & saw the movie later. I loved the book but the movie was pretty bad.
The movie Salem's Lot was ok, a few Stephen King books made it to the big screen all right. I read Cujo but hated the movie, the movie could not get into Cujo's head like King's book. The Green Mile was ok too. Pet Cemetery was another disaster as a movie.

John Grisham's books, thus far have been adapted to movies pretty good. As someone mentioned To Kill A Mockingbird was a good book and movie.

I have been disappointed so many times if I read the book, I just won't see the movie.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:40 PM
swg

18 posts, read 57,428 times
I don't think they always mess up. But I totally agree about My Sisters Keeper. It was awful, and nothing like the book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books