Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 04:33 PM

21 posts, read 308,896 times

Advertisements

My car got rejected for the windows being too dark, and the car has passed yearly inspections for like 6 years with no problem.

I took it to a new shop (old place was closed down) and the guy had a meter-thing on the window with a digital reading. he told me about the windows needing to be a higher % (35). Offered to give me the car back with the rejection sticker, but did not charge me. Guy felt bad for me. He said to find garage that will pass it or have to remove the window film.

I got the car used and didn't know it had this problem! I loved the tint and don't want to have windows scraped (or whatever they do). It has not other safety/inspection problems. It's in great shape.

Anyone know a garage/shop that might pass it for me or give me the inspection I need? I'm in Boston, will go where I need to before I get a big friggin ticket!

Thanks for any leads...

GG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 05:20 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times
If the tint is too dark, then it needs to be removed. Otherwise, it's a bit unreasonable to ask on a public forum for the name of a shop that give you an inspection sticker when your car shouldn't be passing.

And if later on, a cop pulls you over for having too dark a tint and he confirms that with his meter, you will still get a ticket. Plus the inspection station that gave you the sticker might get a hefty fine for giving you that sticker illegally.

What kind of car do you have? And who did you buy it from?

Old 06-30-2010, 06:37 PM

I've been pulled over and never gotten a ticket for the windows, and this forum is mostly anonymous and nothing wrong with listing a garage. No need to share more info about my car...to your point.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:49 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,650,939 times
Maybe someone will send you a private message with a suggestion, but I can't imagine people would want to post about it if they know of such a place. They'd potentially be getting the garage in trouble.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:03 AM

found three places - thanks to those who direct messaged me.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:19 PM

1 posts, read 6,458 times
Default In a similar situation

I need an "easy" inspection because of a possible evap system problem on a 2002 VW, which I'll be looking to trade in as soon as I can get rid of the rejection sticker. The check engine light was not on at the time of the rejection... The guy just got no read.

I was hoping someone could help me out to find someone in the North of Boston area. But I'd go anywhere in MA at this point. Please private message me. Thanks.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:59 AM

199 posts, read 948,306 times
My car failed the MA inspection in April for too dark windows too. Apparently, each state varies the degree of tinted glass on the car. NYC allows for a greater % of tinted windows than MA. I was furious to say the least.

We ended up getting the tinted windows reduced to pass the MA inspection. We took our car to a garage who re-did the windows. The garage owner felt bad for us because he told me if we had recently bought a car with factory-installed tinted windows, the car would have passed the MA inspection with the tinted windows. But because we installed the tinted windows 5 years ago ourself, then we had to pass the MA regulation on tinted windows and therefore our car wasn't going to pass the MA inspection based on the % of tint. Absolutely crazy in my opinion.

I think you have 60 days to get the car re-inspected; keep in the paper in the car about failing the inspection due to the tinted windows in car you get stopped.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:47 PM

1 posts, read 6,337 times
geekguy can you tell me the place where you got your car to pass inspection...i had the same issue

thanks

Old 10-20-2010, 12:34 PM

1 posts, read 6,229 times
Hey guys. I just moved here from CA (where tint isn't a big deal) and I would really appreciate some insight as to where I could go, as well. Please PM.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:16 PM

1 posts, read 5,720 times
Default Tited widows

Hi Everyone,

We are having the same problem with a car that had tinted widows done in Florida. Can someone please PM me with a garage in our near Boston?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston