Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 07:22 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,481,105 times

Advertisements

It cause they're just a bunch of wannabees who don't got what it takes to live in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 09:02 PM

8 posts, read 17,551 times
They say they're from Boston because you say Cambridge, normal people think you're from England.

As long as they say they're not from S. Boston (not that anybody from there would actually say that to DB stranger), I think it's alright.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:06 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,871,011 times
Shortly after I moved to LA from Cambridge when I was 18, someone asked me where I was from.

"Cambridge," I told them.

"Oh, wow!" they responded, their eyes alight. "How long have you been here?"

"...like a month."

"Really? You don't sound like you're from England!"

"Oh. I'm from Cambridge, Mass. It's across the river from Boston."

It really depends who you're talking to. If I meet a fellow New Englander out here, I tell them I'm from Cambridge and they know what I'm talking about. If it's a Californian or someone from the EU or Asia, I just tell them "Boston," because it's like saying that you're from Dublin... Dublin, CA.

If the topic delves a bit further, I'll say, "I'm actually from a city right across the river from Boston, called Cambridge. It's where Harvard and MIT are located. It's kind of like how Brooklyn and Queens are 'boroughs' of New York City, all on the same public transit lines..." Then they understand.

Because half of the people in LA and SF are really far up NYC's hole :/

Old 02-02-2011, 01:43 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,068,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukec View Post
Its all relative. If your out on the West Coast, everyone from New England has some sort of kinship with Boston. In a lot of places, its the metro areas that count. Someone from White Plains will say they are from NYC. Someone from Long Beach will say they are from LA. That happens everywhere. It all depends where they are and who they are talking to.

But Boston in unique in one way. It is one of the rare cities that didnt incorporate much of the towns around it. Charlestown is actually older than Boston, but was incorporated into Boston. Yet, it keeps its own name. Its never 'Charlestown, Boston'. Its jsut Charlestown. Conversely, towns like Brookline and Cambridge were never incorporated, but have long histories tied to Boston and for all intents and purposes are part of the city.

It always used to confuse me when I read that Boston's population is 600K - smaller than cities like Austin, Columbus and Indianapolis. And much smaller than other cities like San Antonio.I'd visit these cities and get underwhelmed. But those cities have geographic boundries that cover much of the metro areas. Austin is Austin. Once your outside, you are really outside the city. Once you are outside Boston, you are in metro-Boston, Somerville, Cambridge, Brookline, Newton, which are hardly any different than Boston itself.

I think this reflects the progressiveness. You dont end up in Cletus land once you leave Boston lol. Only fewer urban areas seem to be like this.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:23 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,921,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorRain View Post
I think this reflects the progressiveness. You dont end up in Cletus land once you leave Boston lol. Only fewer urban areas seem to be like this.

Um, I think it reflects population density, and how long a history each area has of being heavily and densely populated.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:21 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,307,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
It cause they're just a bunch of wannabees who don't got what it takes to live in the city.
C'mon. Cambridge is a city. Different municipality from Boston but no less urban. It's more urban than most of West Roxbury and a hell of a lot closer to downtown.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:43 PM

639 posts, read 3,528,804 times
I was born in Cambridge @ the Cambridge City (Cahill House) Hospital. I grew up right in Boston in one of the neighborhoods mentioned in this thread a few times & I lived there most of my life. I still say I'm from Boston to this day regardless. I always thought it was weird when I heard people say they are from Boston & when any one delves further with more questions they really live on the south shore OR the north shore some where.

I personally don't care but I came to the conclusion that for these people it just makes it easier for them to explain where they live so they don't have to go in to it any further, that's all. I mean what else could it be? I could say I was born in Cambridge and raised in Boston, but I don't usually get in to it with people.
As my status says, "I'm a kid from Boston!", (whatever!).

Old 02-14-2011, 12:56 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,350,894 times
People from Cambridge saying they're from Boston doesn't bug me. it's the people that say they're from Boston but really mean Worcester/Attleboro/Lowell that drive me crazy. it's worse outside of MA b/c these folks will assume you've never heard of their actual home town so they say "Boston". living in Chicago, I've come across quite a few of these folks (even came across someone who claimed to be from Boston but was really from just across the border in NH!)

Old 02-14-2011, 06:19 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,184,340 times
Sometimes, I will say I am from Boston to an out-of-stater, but pronounce "Boston" with a Boston accent like Cliff in Cheers. Then I go back to speaking the way I normally speak, which is without any accent at all. The accent isn't as fun to do when saying "Cambridge" (where I work) or "Newton" (where I now live).

Old 02-14-2011, 05:59 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,921,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
C'mon. Cambridge is a city. Different municipality from Boston but no less urban. It's more urban than most of West Roxbury and a hell of a lot closer to downtown.
Yes. Though they're different cities officially, physically and functionally Cambridge might as well be regarded as a section of Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston