Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2011, 09:37 PM

4 posts, read 10,648 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
Am thinking of going through a realty company for my impending apartment rental search - could you suggest ones in the Boston area with solid reputations/warn against ones with poor reputations?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 09:46 PM

55 posts, read 203,637 times
You need to be more specific on which geographical area you're renting. The metro Boston area is huge.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:28 AM

613 posts, read 2,307,765 times
^ Yes. Do you know which neighborhoods/towns you're considering? The better agencies (at least in my experience) have niches. They may have some listings spread out all over, but they concentrate their business in certain areas. For example, I have a great agency that I used in Brookline, but I wouldn't recommend them if you're looking for a place in Beacon Hill.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:34 PM

4 posts, read 10,648 times
Well, I'm fairly open to a lot of the metro Boston area - the downtown/North End area, Chinatown area, and maybe Back Bay if it isn't too pricy... also Brookline, Quincy, and Somerville seem like they'd be good matches for me.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:01 PM

158 posts, read 545,839 times
Honestly, the Boston rental market is a racket. Most places charge a full fee, one months rent, and offer little value. Its a rip-off, but its such a tough city to rent people are forced to use them.

Its not like buying a home; dont feel beholden to one company. But dont waste their time either. Some people just use agents to get a feel for the market with no desire to rent from them. They take a big hit in tickets, gas and wear and tear, and get paid nothing but commission.

I agree that you should find an established place in particular neighborhoods. Use the phone and talk to them. If your in Somerville, maybe apartment rental experts... If North End, maybe Greater Boston Metropolitan... If Quincy, find some place in Quincy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston