Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2009, 09:43 AM

6 posts, read 54,619 times

Advertisements

South Boston isn't great either. Neither is Roslindale in parts, and a little bit of JP isn't good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 09:47 AM

6 posts, read 54,619 times
I come from the South End and theres shootings and muggings and druggies everywhere. The South End has a high hispanic population so don't hate

Old 09-07-2009, 02:08 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,340,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanjohnson View Post
Look, Boston may not be as bad as other cities, but its obviously not exactly safe. The only real safe areas are Fenway, Back Bay, Downtown, and West Roxbury. The South End, Dorchester, Roxbury, Mission Hill, and Mattapan are what I would stay out of. The South End is nice in parts, but at night it can get very dangerous. There have been high mugging rates, and also there are a fair amount of bad projects and lower income housing for the little neighborhood that it is. Dorchester, for example, has neightborhoods within it! It's huge! Roxbury is very unsafe, and Mattapan is very poor.
and what exactly makes Downtown safer than the South End? you talking about the same Downtown where someone got shot in broad daylight? the same Downtown where homeless folks hang out in the Common? no, IMHO, SE is safer than Downtown

folks, just use common sense when working and living in the city. Downtown and many parts of Dorchester and Roxbury are quite fine. Fort Hill is a growing, thriving, popular section of Roxbury and there are many sections in Dorchester like Savin Hill, Neponset, and Lower Mills that are very safe. Roslindale is gentrifying more and more every day, just like JP. I'll agree that Mattapan is very iffy in most parts and is not a location I'd recommend to newbies, but the area of Mattapan off of Cummings Highway and bordering Hyde park are better than the parts off of Blue Hill Ave and has a lot of very well maintained SFHs. gross generalizations like these help no one. again, common sense is needed in ALL areas of Boston and when in doubt, ask folks here for more info

Old 09-07-2009, 02:33 PM

6,724 posts, read 6,718,975 times
I've always considered huntington ave as the dividing line between typical city neighborhoods and sketchy, was true in the mid-90s, still that way in spite of all the south end gentrification

Old 09-08-2009, 01:34 PM

459 posts, read 1,036,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
I know the areas,Roxbury,Dorchester,and theres one more but I can't think of the name.Bostons a relativly safe city,even the worst areas are great compared to Glenville in East side Cleveland.
Parts of East Boston are sketchy. Parts of Hyde Park are sketchy. Parts of Mattapan are sketchy. Parts of Dorchester are sketchy. Parts of Roxbury are sketchy. The Old Colony area of South Boston is a little rough. The Theater District gets sketchy at night.
Be aware of your surroundings, don't play with your iPhone at midnight, and you'll be fine. I lived in Boston for 3 years, and the worst thing that happened to me was some wannabe tough guy yuppie tried to push me out of a bus seat.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:01 PM

459 posts, read 1,036,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanjohnson View Post
I come from the South End and theres shootings and muggings and druggies everywhere. The South End has a high hispanic population so don't hate
I worked at BMC for a while, and I didn't see anything too sketchy down there. I was never really there past 7:00 PM though, and sometimes the silver line gets a little rowdy.

Old 09-12-2009, 01:37 PM

3 posts, read 15,070 times
Well, I've spent much time in the Dorchester and some sections are not a place I would want to go again. I've been to Roxbury and Mattapan many times also, but not as many as Dorchester. Those 3 areas I would stay clear of, Unless you have business there.

Old 09-13-2009, 03:52 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,703,549 times
This is how I would rank the various neighborhoods of Boston, from safest to most dangerous.

1. Back Back (wealthy area of the city)
2. Beacon Hill (must be rich to live there)
3. North End (also, expensive)
4. South End (high gay male population, keeps crime low...but pricey)
5. West Roxbury (a bit less urban, more single family homes)
6. Charlestown
7. Jamaica Plain
8. Hyde Park
9. South Boston (not to be confused w/ the South End, mostly Irish)
10. Alston/Brighton
11. Roslindale
12. East Boston
13. Dorchester
14. Mattapan (high minority population--high crime)
15. Roxbury (high minority population--can be deadly)

Old 10-29-2009, 01:26 PM

1 posts, read 7,128 times
have u even been to boston? if u neva been to it u neva seen wat we see ok. ive witnessed murdas every year wit mi own eyes kid. the first time i saw a murda i was only 2 ok i saw a dude get stabbed to death on my street. n 2 months ago there was a shootout in my yard one of em ended up dead on my front steps, so dont try sayin stuff wen u dont no wat ya talkin bout,k? n it aint just murdas there r drugs on every street corner n people sling 24/7 aiight, 9 year olds r out dere slangin d afta school n kids r smoking weed at on the school buses its crazy. so get wit it n get ya facts riite

Old 10-29-2009, 06:29 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,340,899 times
^^ ^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston