Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2011, 10:53 PM

2 posts, read 4,952 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I will be moving to the boston area and would like information on where to live with a child. I will be attending harvard probably a few nights a week so i dont need to be right there if i cant afford it but also dont want to commute an hour to get to class. I have a little boy who will be in second grade as well. He is currently in a private catholic school and would like to give him a great education. I am looking to stay around 1500 for a 2bd could go a little higher if needed. Are there any great school districts or decent locations that are affordable and close to private schools as well. I want him to have a sense of community with little league etc any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 07:36 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
How long will you be attending Harvard? Will you have a car? If not, I'd suggest looking for a place in Lexington or Arlington along the #77 Mass Ave. busline.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:02 AM

324 posts, read 1,089,899 times
Belmont or Arlington will have the most rental options. Lexington is nice and has a lot of great recreation options (little league, soccer, swimming, etc.) but doesn't have as many rentals.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:57 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,303,804 times
Second Belmont. It's got a reputation as a high-end town, but that's only true in part. Along Belmont Street and Trapelo Rd are many two- and three-family houses with affordable rentals. I used to live in one. It's a very quick ride on 73 bus to Harvard, particularly if you live on the eastern side of Belmont (e.g. east of School Street).

Old 08-09-2011, 06:34 PM

2 posts, read 4,952 times
I will just be there for 2 years then hopefully get into a boston area law school. I do have a car. Can you recommend any good schools?

Old 08-09-2011, 07:21 PM

324 posts, read 1,089,899 times
good schools for you or your child? If you're talking about your son, schools in any of the towns already mentioned are determined by where exactly you live in the town. I think any of the schools in Lexington or Belmont would be great. In Arlington, there may be one or two elementary schools which aren't quite as strong as the others, but I don't know the details.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:55 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Arlington Heights might have a decent 2 bedroom in your price range and its elementary school consistently receives high marks. I have no personal experience, however. Lexington is beautiful, but it's more expensive. Belmont is also a good choice.

I don't know where you live now, but keep in mind that heat is required in the winter in MA, so check to see what utilities are included in the rent to estimate what your monthly bills will be. Just a suggestion.

I used to commute from Acton to Cambridge and, although it's about 20 miles NW, it's a quiet & safe place to raise a child, and it has a top rated school system. There is also a train from Acton to Cambridge.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:32 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,851,545 times
If you want a Catholic school, there are some in the area. Maybe West Roxbury, a nice part of Boston. St. Theresa's is the school. Or Roslindale with Holy Name...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston