Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 02:06 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,906,713 times

Advertisements

I'm a big fan of Brookline, but it is a bit expensive and your budget may only allow for a condo , probably 2 bedrooms.

Brookline is great because it is near BC but also closer to Boston than most other suburbs. Its kind of an urban suburb because you can walk all over town but still have the safety of a suburb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 04:44 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,474,475 times
I agree with Pear. Brookline is Boston's best suburb with Cambridge as a close second. Cambridge is a tiny bit out of the way though except if you live in the part near Harvard, that's real close. Coolidge Corner is an easy Green Line to BC halfway between BC and downtown Boston (where everything is).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
I'm a big fan of Brookline, but it is a bit expensive and your budget may only allow for a condo , probably 2 bedrooms.

Brookline is great because it is near BC but also closer to Boston than most other suburbs. Its kind of an urban suburb because you can walk all over town but still have the safety of a suburb.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:34 PM

8,543 posts, read 14,020,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
I agree with Pear. Brookline is Boston's best suburb with Cambridge as a close second. Cambridge is a tiny bit out of the way though except if you live in the part near Harvard, that's real close. Coolidge Corner is an easy Green Line to BC halfway between BC and downtown Boston (where everything is).
"Best" is an extremely subjective term. Personally, I have no desire to live in Brookline (although when I was in my 20's and single I always wanted to live there) and I have a serious dislike for the "People's Republic of Cambridge" as many of us know it. Neither of these places fit my needs at all in this stage of my life. Maybe when I'm an empty nester many years from now I could see myself moving to Brookline. As I'm currently a father and a husband, I like the idea of living in a more suburban area with more trees and a backyard for my son to play in. Sure I use my car a lot to go places but at least I know when I'm driving in the 'burbs that I won't have pedestrians and bicyclists constantly jumping in front of my car.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:36 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,811,466 times
Not that I love it or anything but what's bad about cambridge?

The trouble with suburbs is they are just boring. That and if power goes out everything grinds to a halt. Gas stations cannot pump gas and cars get stranded. You have to make a place walkable because once people cannot drive they'll want to move. If there's no sidewalks they'll want to be driven and there's only so much elderly services can provide.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:44 AM

504 posts, read 616,136 times
[quote=bostonguy1960;23001878]Perhaps West Roxbury, an outlying neighborhood of Boston. Not much diversity, as it's still primarily white, although some lower income buildings on Washington St. Not many newer homes.

It's quite safe, and near lots of shopping on Rt. 1 in Dedham. It's about 5 miles to Longwood Medical Area and Fenway Park. Catholic Memorial high school is prominent. Center St. has its own little shopping area. Has a branch library.

Arnold Arboretum is a quick drive for for strolling.

It could take up to 30 minutes driving to BC at morning rush even though it's not too far.

I would not drive in Boston try to find a "T" (subway/ bus) stop/ station near your house and take that in it will still take 30 to 40 minutes but you won't have to deal with all the one way streets and the traffic.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:44 PM

8,543 posts, read 14,020,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Not that I love it or anything but what's bad about cambridge?

The trouble with suburbs is they are just boring. That and if power goes out everything grinds to a halt. Gas stations cannot pump gas and cars get stranded. You have to make a place walkable because once people cannot drive they'll want to move. If there's no sidewalks they'll want to be driven and there's only so much elderly services can provide.
The suburbs are what you make them.

Places like Cambridge are way too dense and dirty for my tastes. Cambridge and downtown Boston in my opinion are like Florida. . . great places to visit but I wouldn't want to live there. I just don't understand why anyone would cram themselves into a tiny apartment/condo with no yard or deck. So that they can walk to restaurants? No thanks, I like to cook.

When I first met my wife she was living in Harvard Square. As 20-somethings with no kids and little responsibility we enjoyed our time there, but our lives and needs have changed and we're quite a bit happier out here in the 'burbs. In fact, my wife had her condo broken into once while she was still inside. Here in the 'burbs some of our neighbors leave their front doors unlocked all day long.

For me, the negatives of Cambridge far out weigh the ability to walk to a restaurant.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:35 AM

3 posts, read 5,625 times
Needham is great too and very close to BC.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:04 PM

4 posts, read 7,452 times
Default Thanks everyone

Overwhelmingly lots of good information I'll take into account when I choose my hosue! I'll make sure to post a reply to let you guys know which neighbor I end up in, and why.

Thanks folks!

Old 03-04-2012, 05:42 PM

2 posts, read 2,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
Brighton, Brookline, Possibly Newton. If your going to have kids, forget about Brighton. Boston isn't know for it's good schools!
Also, considering schools, Arlington (on the red line) and Belmont.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:56 PM

16 posts, read 35,725 times
I would highly recommend West Roxbury since it is a very nice family oriented community and in the city of Boston. Most children in West Roxbury go to the Catholic Schools from Grade 1 through High School. Needham is an excellent town with excellent schools but houses can be a bit pricey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston